Peugeot 306 cabriolet 2001 model wont start

Shanks

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi.

I have a car which wont start.
I put a new battery in it and disconnected the fuel hose to the fuel regulator, Turned on the ignition and fuel pumps out, so its not a fuel issue in my opinion.
I removed the panel on the heads which contains the coil packs. Then removed the spark plugs.
The plug into this panel which sends power to the packs? I put a multi meter on and on start of the ignition, it doesnt register 12v.
I then noticed that on this plug, there is a wire, which has a rectangular block, which is supposed to be connected to the head- earth? has snapped off.
I then used pliers to hold it to the part still connected to the head and cranked it over with plugs and coil packs connected and still no good. What is this rectangular part?
Next to the ECU is a large red button, is this a reset for the ECU or something?
Is there an easy way to determine what is wrong with this car? Or should I get another 2nd hand ECU and try that?
Im not really sure what to do now.
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

More likely the be the crank angle sensor on the gearbox, the connector is visible to left of or under battery and should be cleaned using deoxit or the like (electrical cleaner) this will disable start as you describe.

Large red button is emergency stop of fuel / running in impact.

Ecu is will be ok most likely.

Been there done this!

More likely the be the crank angle sensor on the gearbox, the connector is visible to left of or under battery and should be cleaned using deoxit or the like (electrical cleaner) this will disable start as you describe.

Large red button is emergency stop of fuel / running in impact.

Ecu is will be ok most likely.

Been there done this!
Matthew, I appreciate your comment, thanks.
do you know what the rectangular thing is that I mention has snapped off the head? Is it an earth to remove electrical noise from the system?

I suspect knock sensor or it may be a condensor / capaciotr for noise suppression, check the CAS as suggested the engine will not fire / spark without it. Then see if you need to repair that piece. If it's a knock sensor it should run without it.

I suspect knock sensor or it may be a condensor / capaciotr for noise suppression, check the CAS as suggested the engine will not fire / spark without it. Then see if you need to repair that piece. If it's a knock sensor it should run without it.
Thanks again, this is very helpful.

Whats the trick in removing this sensor? Ive located it but its right under the water pump? do I need to remove the water pump? How do i test the CAS? Trust me, ive looked everywhere for this info. Its not easy to find info on this car.

CAS is at the other end above gearbox under battery, do you mean thermostats housing?

CAS is at the other end above gearbox under battery, do you mean thermostats housing?
Hi mate, perhaps im looking at the wrong thing? Do you happen to have a photo of yours? yea, could be the thermostat housing. Sorry, the car is my uncles and not located at my place.

its under its cover now sorry, the fitting is a largish 3 pin connector on top of gearbox, mounted to a plate bolted to gearbox. on back half at rear its quite obvious. Separate, reseat and test. Some DeOxit would not go astray. If necessary I can take a picture.

Just occurred to me he is using a key known to work? I say this since it has a small graphite RFID chip in each key coded to the car, if its not the car will just turn over and not fire.

Last edited:
yea, thats the plug on top of the box, its brown. the sensor is tucked under the housing and seems very difficult, if not impossible to get out with the housing in place?
As for the key, I believe its ok. The car was playing up a year ago apparently, wouldn't start and then would. I think ill just let him take it to a dealer and get it fixed. Who knows what is up.

Cut is no issue, prpgramming to car is a bit harder, Euroserve did my 307 a few years back. Its all in Diagbox.

Thats it, a brown 3 ppin plus and socket, do it first, disconnect and reconnect a few times to clean the contacts, a little WD40 wont go astray.

Have you checked the brown combination fuel/ecu relay that sits behind the battery? My daughters 306 cut out on the harbour bridge and this was the issue. Pretty common on 306’s

I have a spare brand new relay box if you need one ( I bought 3)

Cheers

Steve

I have replaced the fuel relay. I have also removed the fuel hose to the fuel requlator on the fuel rail to confirm that the fuel pump works and it does.
I removed the panel with the spark plug coils to test for spark and I get no reading at the electrical plug. I put a multimeter set to volts, earth pin on the heat and tested each pin and nothing. After Matthew's advice I believe the issue is the CAS, as if its faulty it wont spark.

To remove the CAS, do I have to remove the thermostat housing?
I just cant see any other way to gain access to the bolt.

Is there is mechanic in Brisbane who you guys recommend? If I change this CAS and its still no good, thats it, im done.
It would be good to get a mechanic to come to the residence, so any good mobile service with all the gear to test this car would be best.
Any help on this is appreciated

CAS is an easy thing, remove battery and tray and down to gearbox plate you find it, easy to access, m!0 bolts most of the way. With fuel pump relay fixed and assuming key is good then get genuine from anywhere, This should do it, they do not often fail, have you reseated it several times? Where are you located, suburb wise?

Last edited:
Matthew, the car is in an under ground car park in Roma st Parklands Brisbane.
I havent pulled the plug on and off yet, ill do that soon and see what happens.
Failing that, ill remove the battery and replace the sensor.
If I get stuck ill ask your advice. Thanks once again, you have been most helpful.

Not far from me then I am in East Brisbane, no problems!