Buying 206 GTI 180 with 130K odometer

GTIPug

Tadpole
Tadpole
After a fiasco with 207 GTI, I have found what looks like a reasonable example of 206 GTI 180.

The mileage is about ~130K and the seller has mentioned following items replaced:
  • Cam belt and tensioner
  • Water pump
There is a wrench displayed in the odometer window, does it indicate an issue?

1679970484512.png

Apart from performing the standard pre-purchase inspection at a local garage, what other questions should I ask the seller?

It is the maintenance indicator, reminding you of a service coming up or overdue. It's common to many Pugs and Cits. It can be reset.

This time you are looking at the 130kW 2.0 petrol engine, older than the EP, 1.6, with the 5 speed manual box. While the turbo pulls hard at low revs, this one likes some pedal.

If it was me I would like to see documentation when and where the cam belt and water pump were replaced.

At what km and year was the cam belt, tensioner and water pump changed, and are there receipts?

Great news, and being so recent, it sort of adds value to the car.

But the service indicator wasn't reset? It doesn't need anything fancy, there is a button to do it.

How are the brake pads, discs, and tyres? This is a car that corners very well, and you don't want worn brakes or nasty Chinese rubber.

These little cars are license destroyers, be careful.

That will be the engine code - letters 6,7,8 of the VIN

Letters 6,7,and 8 are RFK. They are the letters you need. The handbook that comes with the car will tell you how to reset the service indicator. It's very easy but I forget at the moment. If the timing belt and water pump were replaced only 1000 kms ago, then you have four years and 80k kms of happy motoring ahead...

How are the brake pads, discs, and tyres? This is a car that corners very well, and you don't want worn brakes or nasty Chinese rubber.

The tyres are "regular tyres, probably Chinese or Indian with a reasonable speed rating".

Check make sure a genuine 180.

That will be the engine code - letters 6,7,8 of the VIN

Letters 6,7,and 8 are RFK. They are the letters you need.

Waiting for VIN from the seller.

Always!

I was told there are receipts.
Show me the receipts, then call the service garage and ask them if the car was any good.
Check the aircon works, the compressors regularly fail on a 206

Couple of things to suggest checking. 180s are pretty hard on clutches because of the crazy high first gear. I'd be asking if it has had one. If it hasn't, depending on how and where it's been driven, it may need one soon.

We've had ours five years. Acquired at 137,000 now with about 190 on it. Had to replace the clutch not long after we got it. Worst problem since is that the headliner has sagged. Might be worth having a look up when you see yours. Pain of a job to deal with. I'm hoping I can swap out the one I have in my 2000 206 GTI that's in my personal wrecking yard but I haven't determined yet if it's an exact fit.

I don't find the 180 to be a great car to drive in traffic - that first gear is an issue. The ride is extremely firm. Definitely lots of fun when the variable valve timing kicks in at about 5500 and the engine screams to 7500. Quite enjoyable in the mountain passes near where I live.

Your dealing with a car that is about 20 years old and becoming rare.
I have two of them , one has 300,000 kms on it and runs beautifully, however the lower control arms or roll-bar struts rattle.
Couple of things to suggest checking. 180s are pretty hard on clutches because of the crazy high first gear. I'd be asking if it has had one. If it hasn't, depending on how and where it's been driven, it may need one soon.

We've had ours five years. Acquired at 137,000 now with about 190 on it. Had to replace the clutch not long after we got it. Worst problem since is that the headliner has sagged. Might be worth having a look up when you see yours. Pain of a job to deal with. I'm hoping I can swap out the one I have in my 2000 206 GTI that's in my personal wrecking yard but I haven't determined yet if it's an exact fit.

I don't find the 180 to be a great car to drive in traffic - that first gear is an issue. The ride is extremely firm. Definitely lots of fun when the variable valve timing kicks in at about 5500 and the engine screams to 7500. Quite enjoyable in the mountain passes near where I live.
On our 206 sedan i just pulled the sagging cloth away and brushed off the thin layer of crumbling foam.
Exposing a biscuit colour headlining.
Looks quirky a bit like what Citroen might do.
I have another good headlining from a wreck but it is not a pressing problem.

As you say.
Just got another speeding fine from my youngest daughter, her GTI!
Hoping to exchange that car with our 4 door 206 .

These cars are 20 years old and becoming rare, ideal Hill Climb car so they are in demand.
I bought one that is sitting in the shed un-used and it would be stupid to give it to one of the daughters.
It has 300,000 kms runs beautifully and aside from lower control arm bush rattle or the roll-bar links no issues.
My wife likes this car.
Modified ones go incredibly hard !
In fact will blow the doors off an Alfa 147 running perfectly.