Peugeot 306 N5 speedometer problems.

Kenyafrog

Tadpole
The speedometer and odometer on my 2001 306 2 litre N5 automatic (AL4?) will suddenly stop working. After a time they will resume. Sometimes the problem appears on start-up, sometimes after about ten minutes of travel. I have removed and looked at the gearbox sender unit. It looks OK and the connector is tight. I have not yet removed and looked at the dashboard cluster. Any ideas?

The VSS runs off the drivers side driveshaft next to the differential on a manual transmission. Should be no different on an auto AFAIK. Check if the 3 wires and pins to the sensor are OK. Also check the wires for breakage or chaffing through the insulation.

The VSS runs off the drivers side driveshaft next to the differential on a manual transmission. Should be no different on an auto AFAIK. Check if the 3 wires and pins to the sensor are OK. Also check the wires for breakage or chaffing through the insulation.
Thank you, pgti6 for the reply.
Yes, I did check the three wires and pins, but could not get to the wires all the way to the firewall, fitting my hand in and being able to see the wires was a problem. I also removed the sender and shield and pulled it out of the housing. All appeared OK but there was no way of checking inside the sealed part of the sender, which is where I suspect the problem is located.

Last edited:
Seeing as it's late model 306, is there a separate "bitron" box under the glovebox which is the interface between the VSS and the instrument cluster?

I know there is on the 406, but I'm unsure about the 306.

Seeing as it's late model 306, is there a separate "bitron" box under the glovebox which is the interface between the VSS and the instrument cluster?

Thank you SLC206. I only found out about the "bitron"box a few days ago for a C4. I have not yet investigated it. The VSS is connected from there to the instrument panel? I have not looked for one in the 306, yet... but I will tomorrow!

The speed sender does fail in this way.
I've seen it happen with my own 306.
If you can't find a problem anywhere else, I'd recommend going ahead and replacing it.

Yeah, mine intermittently drops out or speed goes whacky.... Mostly in the rain. Have to admit I've driven many kilometres without a speedo but luckily I know what gear and revs equal what speed... Manual though.

My daughter owned same car.
Sounds silly: I would wriggle/rotate ALL the fuses in the fuse box, always worked for me!

The speed sender does fail in this way.
I've seen it happen with my own 306.
If you can't find a problem anywhere else, I'd recommend going ahead and replacing it.
Thank you. I think I will take your advice on that.

Yeah, mine intermittently drops out or speed goes whacky.... Mostly in the rain. Have to admit I've driven many kilometres without a speedo but luckily I know what gear and revs equal what speed... Manual though.
Mine seems to do slightly better in the rain. Don't know why.

Sounds silly: I would wriggle/rotate ALL the fuses in the fuse box, always worked for me!
Before I go ahead and buy a new sender, I am definitely going to try what you do. There are two fuseboxes on my car, heavy duty one next to the battery box and all the others on the drivers side, in an inaccessible place for an old fart, under the steering wheel housing right across the footwell.

Thank you SLC206. I only found out about the "bitron"box a few days ago for a C4. I have not yet investigated it. The VSS is connected from there to the instrument panel? I have not looked for one in the 306, yet... but I will tomorrow!
No, there is no separate bitron box under the dashboard, though there is a separate fuse box for heavy fuses next to the battery. The other fuse box is under the steering wheel in an awkward position for an old bloke to get to.

Bitron unit will b up behind the left (passengers) headlight mounted horizontally under there, you need to remove inner lining> I saw mine with bumper off to weld up lower mount tabs.

Last edited:
Bitron unit will b up behind the left (passengers) headlight mounted horizontally under there, you need to remove inner lining> I saw mine with bumper off to weld up lower mount tabs.
Thank you for that. It may be a while before I manage to have a look. Unfortunately, while someone else was driving the car on the freeway, the bonnet flew up over the windscreen while she was doing 110 kmh! Now I will have to replace or panel-beat the bonnet. Haven't made up my mind yet. The hinges are damaged.
Does any one know where I can source a white second hand bonnet?

Further comment on speedo woes: after the bonnet flew up when doing 110 kmh on a freeway and subsequent bangs and wallops to straighten it out, it performed faultlessly for nearly 100 km of mixed urban, freeway and country driving..!
I hate gremlins of the electronic variety.

Cheers @BIGRR!!!
After Tuesday’s mighty windy night I drove my 1998 306XSi to an appointment late yesterday with no speedo, tacho or fuel gauge. Today I performed the fuse wiggle/rotate and all the needles are behaving again. 👍

I think that Bitron 9pin box on the 406 is for an overspeed buzzer, not present on the 306

Not silly at all, F2 feeds the dash
What is also worth doing is cleaning the contacts on the "multi-function double relay" located behind the battery. A bit tricky to remove the locking pin so I usually undo the nut holding it to the battery case to make cleaning it easier.

Different type of Bitron, 15 pin unit behind left headlight is cooling fan controller.

My favourite mantra for any french vehicle electrical gremlims, disconnect battery positive lead first, then loosen any bolt holding eyelets with black wires, wiggle them to force star washer to scratch the mating surfaces and retighten.
For this type of issue follow the earth lead from the battery down to back of gearbox and bolt hidden behind the thermostat, loosen with a 13mm socket and a very long extension between the pipes for the heater core. This earth is where the VSS and O2 sensors get their ground.

Thanks Alex. Good tip! I'm feeling like a Master Mechanic because I successfully changed the air filter on the 308 GTi without breaking any of the plastic clips, so this re-grounding should be simple. Funnily, my 306 speedo hasn't gone weird for ages.

My favourite mantra for any french vehicle electrical gremlims, disconnect battery positive lead first, then loosen any bolt holding eyelets with black wires, wiggle them to force star washer to scratch the mating surfaces and retighten.
For this type of issue follow the earth lead from the battery down to back of gearbox and bolt hidden behind the thermostat, loosen with a 13mm socket and a very long extension between the pipes for the heater core. This earth is where the VSS and O2 sensors get their ground.
Hi Alex,
I am trying to resolve the intermittent speedo issue with my 2001 306 HDI. I can see the negative cable runs from battery towards front of engine bay and to two earthing points - one on the chassis leg and another an earth strap to on the gearbox just beneath a sorner of the battery tray. Is this the earth point where the VSS gets its ground? If so, any tips on how to access this bolt, my socket is too tall to fit as it it blocked by the battery tray. Do I need to remove the batter tray first?