nightmare continues

bishka

Tadpole
My poor 308 turbo diesel has had a replacement engine installed. Cost me triple what was quoted from the mechanic.

Picked up the car Saturday morning. Would not go over 60km/h foot flat to the floor. Then the engine light came on. I did a u turn and took it back to the mechanic.

No turbo is my reckoning, engine light was turbo :)

Will it ever end?!

I supplied the engine from a wrecker but is it too much to ask to get a car back that actually runs correctly? Surely this mechanic knew that it was running like a tractor but wanted to see the back of me.

Hoping this is a simple fix (lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what you've spent but surely a t7 308 is not worth this headache. I mean, no offence but there's better options out there. Although I suspect you're too far down this particular hole to give up now. Hopefully the mechanic does the job properly and gets it running correctly. Did you agree with them that the engines health was your responsibility or they were to fix the wrecker motor as well? And lastly, check with the wrecker if there was a guarantee on the engine being good?

yes engine was my reposnsibility and yes it has 6 months warranty.

So the engine was swapped, I am already up for that, to replace the engine with a warranty would double my cost with shipping. It was decided to work with the engine swapped into the car as it had already been worked on and "known". THe additional costs came from labour and parts to put on the new engine. I agree the cost is not worth what I paid but what I was quoted it I was happy to re-invest in a super reliable first car for my daughter as a hand me down. Hoping mechanic can at least identify the issue!

Hi bishka, With your car being a 308 turbo diesel it was most likely originally fitted with the RHR engine of which I have 4 cars using that engine and changing an engine seems to be a fairly easy task. However, since talking with a Pommie mech who cut his teeth on Peugs it is not as simple as I had thought. Sure, the engine fits mechanically but there are 2 or 3 different injection systems and therein may lie your problem. If you had a Siemens (the best) and replaced it with a Delphi there is , apparently, a lot of work needed to change the electronics. What disaster befell the original engine.??

The original engine siezed (not pulled down to work it out)
I replaced RHR engine with exact same RHR and auto trans I was csutioned about this ny forum members and made sure it was the correct one.
The original injectors are on the replacement engine. Car runs ok, just doesnt go when you use the go pedal :)
Mechanic has gone silent on me for past three weeks, I have paid the money and told him not to call me until it is fixed.
SUrely it is just a matter of experience to discover tyhe issue?

Does the accelerator pedal need to be re adjusted in the Com2000 unit? Recall the C5 needing this done when the Com unit was replaced

Ok, it does go, but ar per above it is overtaken by fast wlking pedestrians. Go once you get to 80. No guts. Dumb me thinks turbo.

Maybe it was too much to ask to swap an engine?

RHR has a vacuum pipe set down the front and it incorporates a Y-piece that splits. Check that as it may be broken and then you lose turbo boost. It can be repaired with a Y ot T=piece and short lengths of washer/vacuum hose.

Last edited:
Probably got an EGR valve being of that era, these do fail even in new cars as I found out on a loaner 407.

Update Jan 2022

L*** U*** is/was the mechanic. I am happy to name and shame now.

Today rung me to tell me the turbo is dead and all the injectors need replacing to then work out if the motor is ok becasue now it doesnt run well?

Umm so this is another $3000 ontop of the $3000 I have spent so far?

Can I have a raise of hands if this is good enough?

As a a result I informed him I am very pissed off, he tells me to come pick up my car, and hangs up on me!?

It is undriveable.

$350 to tow it to my house and then what do I do?

No cash and no car?

Wonder why we dont trust mechanics?!

Any sugeestions here?

This car was for my daughters 21st in Novermber 21, she is so far away from getting this car I am so embarressed now and feel like I have been suckered.

Last edited by a moderator:
again I am not the mechanic, for $3k he cant look at that? anyone who can suggest someone that can bring this back from the brink?

It is a very expensive undriveable mess at present!

Update Jan 2022

L*** U*** is/was the mechanic. I am happy to name and shame now.

Today rung me to tell me the turbo is dead and all the injectors need replacing to then work out if the motor is ok becasue now it doesnt run well?

Umm so this is another $3000 ontop of the $3000 I have spent so far?

Can I have a raise of hands if this is good enough?

As a a result I informed him I am very pissed off, he tells me to come pick up my car, and hangs up on me!?

It is undriveable.

$350 to tow it to my house and then what do I do?

No cash and no car?

Wonder why we dont trust mechanics?!

Any sugeestions here?

This car was for my daughters 21st in Novermber 21, she is so far away from getting this car I am so embarressed now and feel like I have been suckered.
Sounds like he hasn't a clue. Why would the turbo and injectors go at the same time? Why would they go at all?

tells me they could be the reason the first engine died?

I am gobsmacked. I cant undersatand how it can get to this place. I think you are right about the ideas he is severely lacking :(

That is the problem with going down this path with s/h engines in low value cars.

Was the turbo swapped from the first engine or did the second engine come with its own turbo? Might be worth swapping if this is an option?

I agree with Graham, injectors rarely die and all of them at the same time it's really unlikely. Either way you should have another set of injectors off the other engine, right?

Did you relay the suggestions on the forum to the mechanic ?

bishka,

You have had a rotten experience here - in trying to keep going a car which has, in the past, given you good service. It seems now that you have two choices: 1) Give up on the car - and the money spent thus far 2) Persist in trying to revive the car - and spend more money ...

If you were to go down that second path ... I'd suggest first talking with a mechanic with deep experience with your model of car, and that particular engine. There was - in the previous iteration of AF - a list of mechanics in Melbourne, but I cannot find that now (has it gone?)

Ian.

When you say "once you get to 80. No guts." does it perform well up to that point?

Does it start? If so, then at least the injectors are under control of the engine ECU and the EGR valve is probably not broken. They may not be working as intended and may need to be programmed / initialised, but at least they might not broken.
If you think the EGR valve is suspect, or you just want to eliminate it from the diag, slip a piece of sheet steel under it to block it off.

Check all the turbo piping for splits and leaks. A leak can cause it to be gutless and overfuel, even with a perfectly good turbo.

Test that the vacuum circuit holds a vacuum and test the actuator capsules of the turbo and the two on the air doser valve at the front (the part shown in between 1 and 83 on the diagram)? As I mentioned before, a turbo may seem bad, and may even throw a fault, if the vacuum piping is leaking. It won't have much power when this happens and will hold on to the lower gears. You really should check that, and also that the turbo is not jammed, using one of those handheld vacuum pumps. The mechanic should be able to do this as a basic diagnostic step. Changing the turbo is not trivial on this engine as it is at the back - budget most of a day, plus the sundry gaskets and fasteners required.

Another possible fault here is the turbo vacuum electrovalve. The turbo vacuum piping (#20 cometimes falls off) , via electrovalve 23, should look like this. part #19 is prone to splits in the Y-piece.

1641528597585.png

Last edited: