508 Gt Wagon

A very nice Christmas present indeed lowpugV2.
As, driving it yesterday, how right you are.
I got a bit of a shock when driving through various 40, 50, 60 and 80 kph zones (no freeway highway use thus far) as generaly I always felt that I was doing the right thing but with the large KPH font in between the tachometer and speedometer I was surprised as to how easy it was to "speed" according to the law.
Checking wife's photo on the day, a much better photo herein.

Attachments

• 2021-12-25 09.29.23.jpg
    2021-12-25 09.29.23.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 115
Seeing a - literal - few up here lately, but in traffic, so having caught one at rest in a resort today took the opportunity to look at the VIN. Where do they come from, if VF7 meant France as I had understood, or has that changed?

Last edited:
The VIN is located within the windscreen on the lower LHS. Not happy that it is able to be viewed by all an sundry, but that's an other story.

They come from the Rennes PSA manufacturing plant in France. Not ftom South Africa, China, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia or whatever. Not that there is anything wrong with those manufacturers in those countries but when I buy a French car, I expect it to manufactured in France.
Simply, French, made in France.

Steven you are a long way up oir eastern country side.
Reminds me decades ago when I accepted a posting for a project in Queensland, for a Melbournian, Queensland is just over the border from NSWs.
Bloody hell, for the first time, I realized just how big this country is. When I got to Queensland, I had to hop on another to get to Townsville and you are further north, not surprising you may not see too many Peugeots up there.
Magic car as far as we are concerned up there if not beyond Mercedes, BMW and Audi. (We had 2 Audis, tailor made for us and yes, we had to wait nearly a year each for them to arrive.)

PS: May picked up my first speeding fine on Monday. A relapse moment trying to sort something out on the screen. No, not on cruise control, new cars, i run in, old fashioned I am.

VF means a French manufacturer. It is used for all the Peugeot assemblers in Europe as far as I know. The next digit is the actual manufacturer. Digit 11 codes the factory. My C5 from Rennes has L.

PS: May picked up my first speeding fine on Monday. A relapse moment trying to sort something out on the screen. No, not on cruise control, new cars, i run in, old fashioned I am.
people can bag suvs till the cows come home, but one good thing about my koleos experience is it has tamed the beast in me and when I’m not being attentive, it usually turns out I am driving ata legally responsible speed.
every cloud has a silver lineing.

The little Clio I just bought however does the opposite….pokes that beast with a hot stick.

Hopefully you get lucky and no fine. I'm always drifting over the limit in the Audi... It's so isolated from the road and doesn't really get engaging till licence cancellation speeds. The 306 on the other hand, that takes a willingness to speed. Otherwise I'm always cruising under the posted limit, it's just so natural - X amount of noise in X gear equals X speed.

people can bag suvs till the cows come home, but one good thing about my koleos experience is it has tamed the beast in me and when I’m not being attentive, it usually turns out I am driving ata legally responsible speed.
every cloud has a silver lineing.

The little Clio I just bought however does the opposite….pokes that beast with a hot stick.
What Clio? A 192? Or a newer model?

Hopefully you get lucky and no fine. I'm always drifting over the limit in the Audi... It's so isolated from the road and doesn't really get engaging till licence cancellation speeds. The 306 on the other hand, that takes a willingness to speed. Otherwise I'm always cruising under the posted limit, it's just so natural - X amount of noise in X gear equals X speed.
Going back a few years, on a major Au highway, I was biding my time to pass 1 vehicle ahead that was travelling around 10KPH below the posted speed of 110KPH. Notwithstanding that, that there were a further 2 vehicles in front of that one.
Time after time, there was no movement from the vehicle in front, the 3 vehicles seemed to be in "convey", traveling too close to allow me to tuck in once passing the one in front.
Once it was obvious to me that the guy in front was not interested in passing nor was he interested in holding back to the vehicle in front to aĺlow me to tuck in safely after passing him, so, when it was safe to do so, right turn indicator on, back to 5th and I floored the Audi A4 1.8T Quattro.
In no time at all. After, passing the 3rd front vehicle, my wife softly informed me to ease off as we were doing 180KPH and we had safely passed that 3rd vehicle. It would be embarrassing to appear in the newspapers the following morning "Hoon clocked at 70 (+) KPH over the speed limit". So, I followed wife's advice, eased off and dropped back to 6th to coast to 110.
Love the Audi Quattro with 140kWatts from a 1.8 l motor but the Peugeot goes one better with 165kWatts from a 1.6 l motor.
Such is the advancement from the Otto 4 Cycle engine that EVs can not match.
Driving the Audi, my wife reckons I develop horns and when driving the C5, I drive like and old fart.
Not sure how I'll go with the Peugeot.

No a RS, just a base model 2015 3 cyl turbo. Such a cheeky car to hoon in
Nice, (sorry for thread diversion...) Is it manual? I've always wondered what they're like as I quite like the look.

Going back a few years, on a major Au highway, I was biding my time to pass 1 vehicle ahead that was travelling around 10KPH below the posted speed of 110KPH. Notwithstanding that, that there were a further 2 vehicles in front of that one.
Time after time, there was no movement from the vehicle in front, the 3 vehicles seemed to be in "convey", traveling too close to allow me to tuck in once passing the one in front.
Once it was obvious to me that the guy in front was not interested in passing nor was he interested in holding back to the vehicle in front to aĺlow me to tuck in safely after passing him, so, when it was safe to do so, right turn indicator on, back to 5th and I floored the Audi A4 1.8T Quattro.
In no time at all. After, passing the 3rd front vehicle, my wife softly informed me to ease off as we were doing 180KPH and we had safely passed that 3rd vehicle. It would be embarrassing to appear in the newspapers the following morning "Hoon clocked at 70 (+) KPH over the speed limit". So, I followed wife's advice, eased off and dropped back to 6th to coast to 110.
Love the Audi Quattro with 140kWatts from a 1.8 l motor but the Peugeot goes one better with 165kWatts from a 1.6 l motor.
Such is the advancement from the Otto 4 Cycle engine that EVs can not match.
Driving the Audi, my wife reckons I develop horns and when driving the C5, I drive like and old fart.
Not sure how I'll go with the Peugeot.
The Audi engines always feel very strong. Mine is the 2.0 tfsi... Has a software tune but is sitting at 185kw/400Nm ... Pity it weighs about 1600kg. I think that's where the 508 really succeeds as they kept the weight reasonably low and therefore every aspect of driving is improved.

Nice, (sorry for thread diversion...) Is it manual? I've always wondered what they're like as I quite like the look.
Yes manual…full manual….manual everything…..only tech is a door remote and a Bluetooth radio, which is manually operated. Everything else is 1984 spec.
It doesnt even have a fuel flap opener, or variable intermittent wipers.
It is very basic and just a whole lot of fun to drive.

Yes manual…full manual….manual everything…..only tech is a door remote and a Bluetooth radio, which is manually operated. Everything else is 1984 spec.
It doesnt even have a fuel flap opener, or variable intermittent wipers.
It is very basic and just a whole lot of fun to drive.
Just like our Audi, and our remote has not worked for years.
So, an old fashioned motor vehicle this Audi is, notwithstanding that not too many old fashioned motor vehicles have a 6 speed manual gearbox.
Nevertheless pretty sure that the 508 GT Wagon will be fun to drive once run in and I'll earn the title of the "New Hoon in the Peugeot" as already I've bypassed the auto mode and hold it in gear of choice via the wheel paddles.

How times have changed.
No "Compliance Plate", in line with the Motor Vehicle Standards ACT 1989 (revised no doubt), it is digital; (a Manufacturer's Plate and "Owner's Handbook" is not issued). I have a bit of a problem with the online handbook but we'll get there.
I prefer the non digital age.
Nevertheless, love the car.
John
PS: I have in any case requested a hard copy of the handbook.

Strange, I got a handbook with mine... although it lives in the boot as the glovebox is too small.... design a-la-francais....

Not strange Niels, I got 19" wheels with mine.
And I bet you got a "Au compliance certificate.
How things change.
I'm sure I'll get one as I've told them what I thought of "it's on line".

VF means a French manufacturer. It is used for all the Peugeot assemblers in Europe as far as I know. The next digit is the actual manufacturer. Digit 11 codes the factory. My C5 from Rennes has L
Funny that Japanese made 4008s have VF3 at the start first time I ever saw that

It seems to count as a French Peugeot, like the Spanish etc PSA output. Do you remember the factory code?