INCHCAPE To Show Us How To Sell Citroens?

Apart from my experience that the 3008 is a great car (2018 GTLine) I suspect a sneaky accounting trick. Look out for a lot of very low mileage (old fashioned term I know) 3008's popping up.....

September Sales figures are out.

Citroën C3 5
Citroën C3 Aircross 0
Citroën C4 Cactus 0
Citroën C5 Aircross 2
Citroën Total: 7

Peugeot 2008 47
Peugeot 3008 342
Peugeot 5008 7
Peugeot 508 33
Peugeot Boxer 6
Peugeot Expert 15
Peugeot Partner 36
Peugeot Total: 486

Renault Arkana 45
Renault Captur 36
Renault Clio 0
Renault Kadjar 0
Renault Kangoo 60
Renault Koleos 125
Renault Master 130
Renault Master Bus 7
Renault Megane 5
Renault Trafic 116
Renault Zoe 0
Renault Total: 524
Citroën sales jump 40 per cent.

😂🤣😷😂🤣😷

October Sales figures are out, and the new C4 makes an appearance - although likely as demonstrators, I guess.

Citroën C3 4
Citroën C3 Aircross 0
Citroën C4 7
Citroën C4 Cactus 0
Citroën C5 Aircross 6
Citroën Total: 17

Peugeot 2008 47
Peugeot 3008 136
Peugeot 5008 17
Peugeot 508 5
Peugeot Boxer 7
Peugeot Expert 20
Peugeot Partner 14
Peugeot Total: 246

Renault Arkana 70
Renault Captur 47
Renault Clio 0
Renault Kadjar 0
Renault Kangoo 57
Renault Koleos 130
Renault Master 123
Renault Master Bus 1
Renault Megane 14
Renault Trafic 114
Renault Zoe 0
Renault Total: 556

The DS brand hasn't been sold in Australia for many years (since Inchcape took over in 2017).

Sadly Inchcape don't appear to have any plans to reintroduce it.

October Sales figures are out, and the new C4 makes an appearance - although likely as demonstrators, I guess.

Citroën C3 4
Citroën C3 Aircross 0
Citroën C4 7
Citroën C4 Cactus 0
Citroën C5 Aircross 6
Citroën Total: 17

Peugeot 2008 47
Peugeot 3008 136
Peugeot 5008 17
Peugeot 508 5
Peugeot Boxer 7
Peugeot Expert 20
Peugeot Partner 14
Peugeot Total: 246

Renault Arkana 70
Renault Captur 47
Renault Clio 0
Renault Kadjar 0
Renault Kangoo 57
Renault Koleos 130
Renault Master 123
Renault Master Bus 1
Renault Megane 14
Renault Trafic 114
Renault Zoe 0
Renault Total: 556
Thanks. One dealer in WA and on the wrong side of the river...... I'm surprised they sell any at all. I'm certainly seeing lots of advertisements on Facebook though which is good.

Citroen FYTD - 41
July - 12
Aug - 5
Sept - 7
Oct - 17

They'll be as mainstream as a Bentley soon!

Pictures of the new C4 show it to be a good looking car. With the right specs and price it could turn things around for Citroen in AU.

I saw a new Citroën C4 on Thursday afternoon while I was at Continental Cars. A fine looking vehicle. It was slightly bigger than I expected and had a commodious rear seat, with plenty of leg and head room (I only sat in the back seat).

Designers have been replaced by stylists - overgrown schoolboys whose only talent is sketching car fantasies, as they have done since they were 12.

A high risk strategy - cheaper Chinese cars are becoming acceptable in western markets but to produce an upmarket model in China and market it in established markets including France? This has always been the holy grail of the greedy - to manufacture a product using cheap Chinese labour working under Chinese working and social conditions and to market it for a western price. Will they get that past the French unions?

A high risk strategy - cheaper Chinese cars are becoming acceptable in western markets but to produce an upmarket model in China and market it in established markets including France? This has always been the holy grail of the greedy - to manufacture a product using cheap Chinese labour working under Chinese working and social conditions and to market it for a western price. Will they get that past the French unions?
They will get it past the unions. They already have been selling Dacias in France for years, undercutting Renault prices. Then there's the Korean models.....

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I don't think the average person in Australia will care, particularly if it means a lower price. Ask them about sourcing goods from China and they will say its terrible for any number of reasons. They conveniently forget all about that when it comes to the checkout.

I wonder how Citroën will be able to sell them in Europe. May be as a EU domiciled company it is easier for Citroën to import cars from China.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I don't think the average person in Australia will care, particularly if it means a lower price. Ask them about sourcing goods from China and they will say its terrible for any number of reasons. They conveniently forget all about that when it comes to the checkout.

I wonder how Citroën will be able to sell them in Europe. May be as a EU domiciled company it is easier for Citroën to import cars from China.
It'll be interesting to see.... They can put them on the train now of course. Just amazing.

There is some opposition in France with critics seeing it as the beginning of the end for French auto manufacturing.

There is some opposition in France with critics seeing it as the beginning of the end for French auto manufacturing.
I'm sure there is and will be strong opposition. Plants have been closed in France before though, and there's no doubt costs in China/Korea/Romania are lower in some ways. Who builds the robots?? These factories are incredibly automated - I don't know the numbers but I'll bet labour costs have been a steadily reducing proportion of production costs. And the Chinese don't work for a bowl of rice twice a day any more either.

The company I worked for ran/runs a consulting office in Beijing with almost 100% local staff and they didn't cost peanuts. Great to deal with too. I'll draw a veil over the bureaucracy though. 1-2 years to open a bank account for example.

The problem is as we found in Australia the automobile industry is a mainstay of manufacturing employment and supports a host of component manufacturers and in France the steel and aluminium industries. The French economy would suffer a major hit if manufacturing went offshore.
Chinese industry does knock offs of Japanese or European products at a fraction of the price. The future of world automobile manufacture may well lie in China. But with Chinese companies. Most foreign makers are not finding Chinese manufacture profitable as local buyers prefer products from Chinese companies. Stellantis sales within China were not looking good last year but this is presumably a joint venture with Dong Feng to manufacture for export. Let's see if it flys.

Aisin has many factories in China. I wonder where the transmissions will be made.

The problem is as we found in Australia the automobile industry is a mainstay of manufacturing employment and supports a host of component manufacturers and in France the steel and aluminium industries. The French economy would suffer a major hit if manufacturing went offshore.
Chinese industry does knock offs of Japanese or European products at a fraction of the price. The future of world automobile manufacture may well lie in China. But with Chinese companies. Most foreign makers are not finding Chinese manufacture profitable as local buyers prefer products from Chinese companies. Stellantis sales within China were not looking good last year but this is presumably a joint venture with Dong Feng to manufacture for export. Let's see if it flys.
Agreed. The French industrial economy is small by Chinese etc standards but it's not really small relative to most of the world and it is very diverse - one of the only independent, native nuclear industries for example. And they've pushed themselves in many areas despite the efforts of short-term economic rationalists. Think Ariane rockets, Airbus Industries, submarines, TGVs etc. Some of these may not pay taken individually, but overall they maintain a high level of diverse technical skills, to their great credit. The British can't do any more half the things French industry is capable of. And Brunel's father was a French refugee from the Revolution.

As a contrast, who could forget the idiot Treasurer Joe Hockey daring the car industry to leave Australia. Strategic stupidity at its worst. If we hadn't let some core industry groups wither and die we wouldn't be so stupidly dependent on mineral exports, be it gas, coal, Iron Ore, gold, uranium, high purity alumina, nickel, titanium etc.