Tool Talk

Using scrap...

Here's a setup I use to turn old bits of galv pipe to useful purpose... :)

DSCN0236b.JPG

DSCN0233b.JPG

DSCN0234b.JPG

DSCN0235b.JPG

method is to tack the join, let the clamps go, rotate the pipe 180, reclamp, then weld it up. I've been doing this job like this for decades, works really well with no worries about keeping stuff straight. I've also found that life is easier to use an old time wheel pipe cutter rather than the drop saw to trim the pipe ends, ready made "V" for good penetration and mostly flush finish, mostly.... :)

The welding bench is made up from 32mm gal water pipe and Downee clips. Those end pieces are joined together in the dirt by another pair of pipes, the clips along with a small bit of the buried pipe is just visible. It's all very stable.

DSCN0239b.JPG

cheers,
Bob

Using scrap...

Here's a setup I use to turn old bits of galv pipe to useful purpose... :)

View attachment 131941

View attachment 131942
View attachment 131943

View attachment 131944

method is to tack the join, let the clamps go, rotate the pipe 180, reclamp, then weld it up. I've been doing this job like this for decades, works really well with no worries about keeping stuff straight. I've also found that life is easier to use an old time wheel pipe cutter rather than the drop saw to trim the pipe ends, ready made "V" for good penetration and mostly flush finish, mostly.... :)

The welding bench is made up from 32mm gal water pipe and Downee clips. Those end pieces are joined together in the dirt by another pair of pipes, the clips along with a small bit of the buried pipe is just visible. It's all very stable.

View attachment 131945

cheers,
Bob

And is the "bench" made up from some pieces joined as you have described? I think I can see some joins, but they are very neat - good job.
Good old galv pipe, bit hard to find these days, but can be very useful.

And is the "bench" made up from some pieces joined as you have described?
spot on.... :)
Used to have quite a bit of the 32mm, a mate was with a fencing contractor, shocking the things they throw away....
Method is also good when you are using nice new pipe, no waste, the left over bit from the last length is joined to the new... (y)
Bob

Here's an oldie from Oz....

My Jamec Pem "Challenger" inflator has been leaking a little from the chuck lately, guess I've had my money's worth out of it, got to be decades old, the rubber handle is falling to pieces. So, I lashed out and got a nice new one, same style, but probably different innards as it wants to be oiled now and again.

https://www.jamecpem.com/collections/tyre-inflators/products/tdr2000-tyre-inflator

You wouldn't believe it, the old unit reads exactly the same pressures as the new one !! If the serials are done the same way as the new unit it would make the old inflator a relic from the 70's, quite probable.

Bob

My latest tool is Ryobi 18V battery powered brushless Impact Driver. I have a Daihatsu Feroza 4x4 on mates bush block. I went to removed a wheel with a wheel brace and could not get the nuts undone after some rock ape had tightened them up. The impact driver made short work of them and couple of other rusty bolts. Saved me a lots of grief. I wanted the wheel nuts at torque settings so I can remove them if I have a flat tyre.

DSC_2081sml.jpg

DSC_2081crop.jpg

I saw this workaround somewhere on the interweb.

gadget.jpg

Do people ever use impact drivers that they can plug into a cigarette lighter, or bertter still, clip onto the car battery ? Do they exist ?

I would think that they would be the way to go, for automotive work...

My latest tool is Ryobi 18V battery powered brushless Impact Driver. I have a Daihatsu Feroza 4x4 on mates bush block. I went to removed a wheel with a wheel brace and could not get the nuts undone after some rock ape had tightened them up. The impact driver made short work of them and couple of other rusty bolts. Saved me a lots of grief. I wanted the wheel nuts at torque settings so I can remove them if I have a flat tyre.

View attachment 135903

View attachment 135904

I saw this workaround somewhere on the interweb.

View attachment 135902
I have one too. About twice a year it use for a few seconds for undoing things. At such times it is my best friend!!

I have bought an Ozito brand impact driver, brushless. So much torque it will twist your hand. Very happy with it.
I have the same & for those who want know the 5 year warranty is good. Full replacement @ Bunnings.
Bought primarily to remove crank nuts when doing timing belts but is great for other stuff as Chris indicated.

For wheels a length of gal steel pipe slipped over the wrench is a lot cheaper and as easy.

For wheels a length of gal steel pipe slipped over the wrench is a lot cheaper and as easy.
I've been using an old section of exhaust for about the last 25 years.....now my son is also doing it.

But to get crank shaft bolts off, or drive shaft nuts - you need some sort of rattle / impact gun / wrench / driver. I like the idea of the battery one, but since I'm always in a garage with power I bought a cheapy 240V version.

Cheers

Justin

The oxidised surface that develops on Sydney sandstone is harder and more durable than the underlying stone. Removing it does nothing for longevity.

Hi folks,
I am replacing my angle grinder and have a choice of buying (for a very good price) one of two hardly used 4 inch ones....a Makita or a De Walt

They are each about $ 100 new.

Which would you go for ?

Hi folks,
I am replacing my angle grinder and have a choice of buying (for a very good price) one of two hardly used 4 inch ones....a Makita or a De Walt

They are each about $ 100 new.

Which would you go for ?
What are the exact model numbers of these grinders?