Budget OBD2 Code and Data Reader.

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Just bought a low priced OBD2 code scanner and data reader, specifically to help with transmission work on Scenic, but also will cover most makes and models since about 2004. My previous simple little Autel code reader could not read the auto faults in the 03-04 Scenic, it is one of those cars in the limbo area between having nil coverage or having full coverage, nor could it show temperatures, etc, just read the fault codes.
"Low Price" is open to conjecture - you can get a simple code reader for $50 and a professional workshop these days would spend $3000-$6000 for a quality hand held unit. This one was $395 from OBD2australia.com.au, warehouse in Perth so I was able to pick it up myself. The brand is iCarSoft which seems fairly popular worldwide with a good European presence. They make "one make" readers with similar database coverage (eg, Renault only), also some with EU coverage (many makes & models), this one (CR PRO) covers basically all makes and models worldwide, so I hope it will come in handy quite often.
I am no expert in these things, but learning fast. There seem to be various functions available, you pay more for more functions. This unit does fault code reading, live data readings (eg, oil pressure, temperature, solenoid on/off, etc) and also does Service Resets (eg, Oil Change light, Service Due, Battery Change reset, etc).

There is a huge number of vehicles available. This video of the makes available to select:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNKbnLzc2sl3thkOzn-0RvXyScfTRneV-W1kam6

When the Renault make is entered this is a video of the models it covers:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNkOtLjgn4rmLDqUOXxaaU-74IzlcevbZ8_cAlh
(The Scenic I is included with the early Megane - Megane/Scenic, later Scenics have individual databases).

(If the videos don't work direct from my Google Photos, I will copy them to Youtube).

IMG_20210721_1024_red.jpg

Plugs into PC with USB for updates and saving files (I think) and printing reports. Keyboard in photo for scale.
IMG_20210723_142836510_red.jpg

Showing some of the systems available to be checked - varies with make /model.
IMG_20210721_164935391_red.jpg

Showing fault code DF131 in the auto trans - simply Slip. No other faults are logged.
IMG_20210721_165145801_red.jpg

Stored data selected, file created.
IMG_20210721_170435026_red.jpg

Direct reading from my Scenic, Auto Trans data, I have selected these items to be shown, should be useful info when I use it in anger.
So this is nearly warmed up, not been driven so not hot, trans temp 85°C, engine coolant 99°C. Easier than getting under car with hydraulic pressure gauge and digital temp gauge!
IMG_20210721_172704455_red.jpg

This are the resets available in the SERVICE section. (Only as available on particular models - I think none on Scenic 1).
IMG_20210721_173856472_red.jpg

Home screen - SERVICE RESETS selected.
IMG_20210721_173847349.jpg

Well I hope to be able to use this to my advantage. Already I can do stuff which before was difficult, ie, trans temp for fluid level check, and trans line pressure. I have much to learn though.

Hope this info is useful to some who may have been looking for something like this.

My disclaimer here: The supplier (OBD2 Australia) has a local presence, and have been excellent to converse with by email, responses within the hour or less, and instant on their Chat line. I believe this unit to be of reasonable quality and worldwide reputation but you get what you pay for, and the first unit I picked up had a dodgy microswitch in the Up-Down-Left-Right arrows selector switch, hopefully an isolated case. I sent them a quick video of the fault as requested, and immediately they advised another new unit was available at the warehouse for pickup. I chose to pick up as they are very local to me, but they obviously do most of their shipments by post. Very good to deal with.

Cheers.

Hi Chris

I have the baby brother (i907) to your unit and I am quite happy with it which I bought from a seller on Ebay.

I have done a few simple diagnostics on my 2002 Laguna ii with it and have not had any problems.

The live data function is great and you can see what is really happening with the car.

A friend of mine has the same model as yours, had a problem with the software on the unit, not sure why but it would not boot up when plugged into the car. I re-flashed the software from the icarsoft website and managed to fix the problem in about 15 minutes. I assume it still functions as he has not mentioned having problems with it.

Hi :)
Just for information only and not as an alternative to the better scanners above, I bought the simpler unit below after AP lost my other older one. They paid $100 compensation so I decided that it might be good enough for my more restricted use now and is able to monitor gauge readouts from the can bus full time, pressure, various temps, etc if available, if that is useful for towing or similar. It can reads codes OK and clear them also, as I have done on a VW that had a 'simple' (fatal ?) problems with failing sensor and checking a Fiat up for auction.o_O Does my current Renault OK but no codes to clear.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254841267056
Just another alternative for a person who might not want to spend more than ~$120. It may not work so well on older Froggies but it is so easy to use. Almost no skill needed except to find the port :rolleyes:
Cheers jaahn
1627203905890.png

FEATURES​

• SCAN TOOL- It works as a scan tool to help you troubleshoot problems of all OBD2/EOBD compliant vehicles.
  • Works with all OBDII compliant vehicles.
  • Reads & clears trouble codes.
  • Easily determines the cause of the “Check Engine Light (MIL)”.
  • Turns off Check Engine Light, and resets monitors.
  • Views freeze frame data.
  • Displays monitor and I/M readiness status.
  • Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CIN and CVN)

Last edited:
This machine is exceeding my expectations (the CR PRO scanner).
Having a bit of indoor spare time today, I followed the instructions to download the free program to update the databases in the CR PRO and to print reports from it. Program download was quick and put a handy icon on my desktop. Then plugged in scanner via USB and Updated the scanner software and all the vehicle databases to the latest versions, one click to do all updates, took about 15 minutes to download and then update the scanner.
Then tried report printing from a sample test I did yesterday on cousin's Toyota Prado with suspect injectors. a) The CR PRO had the function to test the injectors while running, plus many other data functions if I had chosen, and b) The reports were super easy to copy from Notepad form to a Word doc and save in PC.
Very surprised at the ease of which all of this was accomplished.

THE UPDATE SCREEN:
IMG_20210730_120852601_red.jpg

THE REPORT / PRINT SCREEN:
IMG_20210730_125519526_red.jpg

I realize many of you have some sort of scanner, so this could be a bit ho hum, but personally although I had used simple scanners (and very expensive ones as well), I hadn't realized that such functionality could be obtained for a "reasonable" price, and maybe others might appreciate this information.

Next I'll have to remember to press "Report" when I'm scanning the Scenic auto trans data, which is my main aim anyway, at this stage.

Enjoying my new toy.
Cheers.

Do they charge for updates?
No, all free so far.
At the update was this comment - "Up till now, all software to update iCarsoft serial products is free." Which might just be the way they express it, or maybe they are reserving the right to charge in the future.
One thing making it easy was I didn't actually have to register with password etc, the usual palaver, only my email was required and the program read my unit's serial number at connection. There was also an ID number on the unit screen which I entered. Easy.

Hi Fordman.

I am in the market for an EOBD / OBD II scan tool. I have read your posts.

At the moment I really only need a tool to clear an engine fault code in Mrs Whippets Peugeot 2008 1.2 Puretech SUV. I could purchase an entry level tool to achieve this, but as is usual for me I end up purchasing up the range. My thinking is, I should be looking for multi vehicle / multi systems tools, as in the future they will be more useful and cover all vehicle systems. Also if I have a tool it might be useful to interrogate vehicles from various manufactures, in case I get called in to look at family and friends vehicles.

One thing I am not clear on, If I obtained a scan tool for a specific vehicle manufacturer, I assume that I could still scan a vehicle from a different manufacturer?, but with reduced information?

Do you have any thoughts on the iCarsoft E770? It seems to be more available in USA.

iCarsoft E770 ABS+SRS+OIL+BLD+OBD II car diagnostic tool​

Hi Fordman.

I am in the market for an EOBD / OBD II scan tool. I have read your posts.

At the moment I really only need a tool to clear an engine fault code in Mrs Whippets Peugeot 2008 1.2 Puretech SUV. I could purchase an entry level tool to achieve this, but as is usual for me I end up purchasing up the range. My thinking is, I should be looking for multi vehicle / multi systems tools, as in the future they will be more useful and cover all vehicle systems. Also if I have a tool it might be useful to interrogate vehicles from various manufactures, in case I get called in to look at family and friends vehicles.

One thing I am not clear on, If I obtained a scan tool for a specific vehicle manufacturer, I assume that I could still scan a vehicle from a different manufacturer?, but with reduced information?

Do you have any thoughts on the iCarsoft E770? It seems to be more available in USA.

iCarsoft E770 ABS+SRS+OIL+BLD+OBD II car diagnostic tool​

It certainly looks like it will cover all the basics for your vehicle, and most other vehicles.
Regarding a scan tool for a specific manufacturer, yes, I think you would probably get even more detailed info for the particular make, but I also think you will get the "generic" fault codes for most other vehicles with OBD2, which is basically every vehicle made since 2004 and earlier in some cases. Generic fault codes are the same for all vehicles and covers thousands of codes for basic operation, but individual manufacturers can add their own for unique systems they may have developed.
Re the 770, from their website:
19. Works on most of 2001 and later OBDII compliant PETROL European vehicles
20. Works on most of 2004 and later OBDII compliant DIESEL European vehicles
21. Works on most of 1996 and later OBDII compliant US and Asian vehicles
22. View & Graph Live Data in Color Graphing and blazing fast refresh rate for better graphing and live data readings.

Important here I note it does include "live data" which means you can access such things as engine temperature, rpm, and many other readings, which you do not get with a basic OBD scanner (which just lists fault codes, and maybe a description of the code).
I think the 3 key words are SCAN (fault code reader), LIVE DATA (running data from sensors on engine and transmission, etc), and RESET TOOLS (to reset Service / Oil change intervals, etc).

I note on the icarsoft website they warn about knock-offs on ebay, etc, and that's why I was happy to get mine from a "local" supplier, but they don't seem to carry the 770 model, nor anything similar, mine is a higher level again, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Regards
Chris.

This one was $395 from OBD2australia.com.au, warehouse in Perth
G'day,
looks like it's been reinvented, new model and 30% price hike.... :(
there are that many of these blighters on greedbay it's a minefield !
Bob

Bob,
Just had a look at the iCarsoft site, the CR MAX is an upmarket version of the one I have which is CR PRO. Looks like CR PRO is also still available. A quick look I see the MAX has its own internal battery, the PRO needs to be connected to OBD port in the car or to USB (ie, PC), that would make the MAX quite a bit more usable. I haven't compared detail but it looks like the MAX may contain more functions, need to compare properly.
Current price on website (USA or UK?) is USD$399 for PRO and USD$499 for MAX, so I don't think they have risen that much, its a different product.
I can't remember if the MAX was available when I bought the PRO, but the PRO has many features that I required.
Keep in mind I was looking for something with a large vehicle range, but including Renault, and it has done a few good jobs for me, like recording diesel fuel injector feedbacks on a Toyota Prado, and certainly has the Renault Scenic auto trans pressures and temperature readings in its database.
I get the impression, but not sure, that the cheaper French Only versions, or any specific vehicle for that matter, probably contain all the functions of the PRO, so if that is all that is required - good value.
I see that one forum member considers them "garbage", and I would say the French manufacturer's products, CLIP and DIAG something, would do everything and be a better product. However, accepting it is not a $7000 Snap-On tool, my iCarsoft is a good DIY tool.
Cheers.

Hi Whippet,
Can't see attachment on my mobile, will look later.
I am pretty sure the CR Pro reads Canbus, but it is not an oscilloscope as far as I know. It plots charts/graphs of data readings, but not live HT waveform.