Matra Jet 6 New Zealand

Owner only rates it 7/10. It must look better in photos. Interesting that he converted it back to LHD for authenticity. I suggest he is a hard judge.
Great looking car and a great story.

Were I to have written such an article about my Matra Djet V, I would have had "front & centre" the joys of the Djet on a winding road. Not so much its outright grip (mine is on non-standard 165/70-14 Premium Contact 2 tyres) but its communicative & responsive behaviour around the limit (especially in the wet). I've driven a lot of cars fast over the decades & the Djet is the most enjoyably controllable car I've ever driven.

A little story about the Matra from my son's point of view.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Frans.
Thanks for posting this Frans. The 7/10 puzzles me but it doesn't matter because the car is loved and used!! Thinking of 4cvgordini's comment, I'm recalling that short trips from Jacques' house wouldn't get the car onto the sorts of roads that M. 4cvg has close to his home. Jacques will have to take longer drives in it!! :)

What a great car it is.

https://www.kiwigarage.co.nz/matra-jet-6
Thanks for posting.
First mid-engined production car. I have wondered if the Citroen ID with its transaxle and gearbox in front of the engine which intrudes into the cabin space could be considered mid-engined.
Engine still ahead of driver and passengers, although it is behind the front axle line I guess. There's an opposite example with people nearly always referring to prewar Auto Union racing cars as rear-engined when they really are mid-engined!

A beautiful car I would be proud to own. I also agree the owner is a hard marker at 7/10. I do look for these Matras for sale from time to time, mostly with the same 7 or so coming up in the search that may or may not be sold. With the Covid tax that seems to be applied to classic vehicles currently, and the possible asbestos clearance problems with importing one, they are currently beyond my economic means, but still much less expensive than the A110. In my mind the A110 is a little prettier, but the Matra a clear winner in the engineering stakes.

I would agree with the 7/10 at the time the photos were taken. Since then the smaller pain in the neck items was installed such as the R5 water reservoir, NOS taillight lenses, Matra badge in front, heater with its control knobs and cables, side window rubbers, etc.

Moulton2speed, We decided to go back to LH drive for originality. The car is completely original and only one RH car was built for the Marquee in England and that one still exists and is on the road. The Gordini engine is slightly modified and is now 1430 but only a well-trained eye will be able to tell.

Regards, Frans.

I would agree with the 7/10 at the time the photos were taken. Since then the smaller pain in the neck items was installed such as the R5 water reservoir, NOS taillight lenses, Matra badge in front, heater with its control knobs and cables, side window rubbers, etc.

Moulton2speed, We decided to go back to LH drive for originality. The car is completely original and only one RH car was built for the Marquee in England and that one still exists and is on the road. The Gordini engine is slightly modified and is now 1430 but only a well-trained eye will be able to tell.

Regards, Frans.
You both have very high standards! Great work Frans.

On LHD vs. RHD:

I actually prefer driving LHD to RHD on country roads. Reason? One gains more from being able to see more around right hand bends than one loses around left hand bends.

The Matra is getting a makeover for Christmas. It is being re-carpeted by a mate of mine that is worldwide known for restoration jobs. He does that full-time.

In the process he called me to assist today and oh man, is he full of sh!t. A small piece of fiberglass was visible between the windscreen and the dash. to get that done we have removed the windscreen, cubbyhole, and dash. The poor Matra is almost back where it was 7 years ago. It will however be the best-ever job and I will follow up with photos.

An example of his work..........This is a Mazda Cosmo that he restored. Have a look at the detail right through to the stickers that have been made authentic to what it was.

thumbnail_IMG_0450.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0461.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0462.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0463.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0465.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0466.jpg

Beautiful Cosmos. Its dash looks a bit like that of a Mazda RX100. I presume it is also a rotary, 7kRPM seems low for redline. Our RS200 Clio (normal aspirated) redlines at 7.5k.
You must know every nut, bolt and inch of your Matra by now. The fun part is putting it back together.

Beautiful Cosmos. Its dash looks a bit like that of a Mazda RX100. I presume it is also a rotary, 7kRPM seems low for redline. Our RS200 Clio (normal aspirated) redlines at 7.5k.
You must know every nut, bolt and inch of your Matra by now. The fun part is putting it back together.
It's a rotary all right. The Cosmo is a sensational car I reckon. My memory says they limited revs to manage tip wear. Back then people were still saying that the Japanese were copiers - prejudice rules sometimes, but we know who had the last laugh. Mind you, Mazda did go broke a bit later! Something common to others who messed with rotary engines.......

The Matra is back with the completed interior. Surprised on how the sound has been dampened. For me, it is 100% acceptable, but then again I might be a little deaf or biased.o_O

A few photos for you to decide.

326676544_553894746760145_6630181121836633824_n.jpg

326776459_1167426883977647_1690562517563455404_n.jpg

326896561_857939998828736_576284023949235526_n.jpg

326899636_1825569937779674_6420602743203098105_n.jpg
326911487_2326807034171220_9171854135081631170_n.jpg

Regards, Frans.