Removing tree sap from PV panels

JoBo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Wonder if anybody has experience with a good product. Dishwashing soap and jiff don't do much. Problem is that the panels have to be reached via extension handle with some material at the end of it - so not reachable by hand.
Any hints/experience much appreciated!

the original windex
i had lots of black spots on my white car .they were actually fungus that come from mulch.
i sprayed windex and lots of rubbing down .and it all clean.i gave it dood polish after and good coat of wax
so far so good .

Hi Jo :)
The panel surface is just glass so I would use metho to dissolve something that normal soap will not shift. It is not an aggressive solvent and washes off with water.
Jaahn

Thanks Jaahn! Yes, it is glass but it is slightly ribbed. Metho doesn't do it. Will try some iso alcohol next. Bunnings have nothing that takes it off.

Xylene great industrial solvent should do the job.
However, It is toxic Safety Data
Need organic fume respirator cartridges with carbon filters A1 Cartridge
This is serious stuff

Thanks will look into it when all else fails.

Have you tried car wash with warm water?
That usually lifts the black sooty mould dropped on my car from the sap-sucker infested tree.

Tried soapy water and WD40 - no good.
But i just found something that works. Hand sanitizer gel, contains alcohol!
Unfortunately one of the trees died :(

Attachments

• sanitizer.jpg
    sanitizer.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 147
  • pvpanel.jpg
    pvpanel.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 140
  • pvtree2.jpg
    pvtree2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 129
  • pvtree1.jpg
    pvtree1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 141
Oh? Meths is 95% ethanol so what is the secret ingredient in hand sanitiser gel that works when metho didn’t?
🧐

Meths work to an extent but it evaporates quickly so needs several applications and quite a lot of mechanical rubbing. Suspect the sanitizer works because it is jelly like and softens the crime by sitting on it for a few minutes? All i can say it works like a charm.
White spirits, Brakeclean, MAF sensor spray, dot 4 brake fluid - all no good.

Ah! Magic ingredient is time.
I wonder if a soaked towel laying on the PV would do the job? Cheaper than sano.
Thanks for the investigation. 👍
I need to check my cells too. Fortunately my PVs are further from the sap-sucker infested sooty mould covered melaleuca tree than yours.
Replace the dead tree with a dwarf banksia. It won’t grow as tall and the local bird life will appreciate the feed.

Don't know what method will be the most economical? 5l 80% alcohol gel costs $38.- Will pick it up after lockdown.
Fabric and iso alcohol could also work but i think it would be more hassle because it will still evaporate rather quickly bearing in mind that the PVs are at an angle.

Hi JoBo, I get these pesky little black dots on my car that I suspect are tree sap. I have only been game to use a gentle detergent and a microfibre cloth. It used to take me over an hour to clean the roof section which gets the most.

I have found this task has been made quicker by applying a coat of wax. Since using this the spots come off a lot easier. I'm sure there are lots of options but I can recommend this product that I came across from a search here. This Meguiar's one is quite good.

Kaye

Thank you Kaye! Will look into the product for applying it on Solar PV panels. I use their viny product on the soft top and it is very good.

I have the same problem with my car as does Kaye and try to keep it waxed also (try.... not necessarily do 🤣)
But given the solar efficiency drop I’ve noticed on slightly hazy days I think would be wary of waxing PVs.
Now that the primary offending sickly tree has shuffled off its mortal coil, Jo should have less trouble with crusty sooty mould. 🤞

Meths work to an extent but it evaporates quickly so needs several applications and quite a lot of mechanical rubbing. Suspect the sanitizer works because it is jelly like and softens the crime by sitting on it for a few minutes? All i can say it works like a charm.
White spirits, Brakeclean, MAF sensor spray, dot 4 brake fluid - all no good.
Refer to Glenn drake's response for the answer. First post .

After you get it clean, I would treat the surface with a ceramic coating - it really does work and will mean future droppings will virtually wipe off.

I'd try CitroClean, an orange-based spray cleaner that performs miracles. Don't use it if the roof is Colorbond, as it softens any paint I have ever tried it on. I love the stuff. Available at IGA stores. It takes off stickers, glue, sap, greasy cooking residue.