Rivets v Welding v Epoxy

I see what you guys mean. High frequency start looks absolutely pleasant.

Also don't forget you'll need support. Places like Hare & Forbes aren't going to give you that. Buying from somewhere like Silverwater Welding will give you aftersales help, which I guarantee you'll need.

Thanks for you input with this guys.

Peter, sadly I've moved down to Melbourne, but you make a good point re a bit of old fashioned retail support to a n33b like me being helpful.

You mention a 15amp - 10amp convertor.. Are folks really using those in this sort of application? I'd just assume the little RCD box would be tripping all the time.

Good points re the care needed in the TIG process. OK, best step back, clearly think about what I want to be welding, then find a machine to fit.

I now understand at least why there are often a couple of machines hanging around everyone's workshops..

Ah fair enough.

The outlet available to me in this rental could be coming from gord knows who doubled from gord knows what. Suppose I best stick with a 10amp machine. The switch board is at the front of the house, ~20m away.

Peter and I are getting away from the original brief.
I agree that an AC/DC TIG is a more versatile machine, but it's also much, much slower, especially while you learn not to dip your electrode.
It's the choice I made for all the reasons mentioned. I went with a Unimig Razor 200 for home last time the bundles were advertised, and I got a TokenTools MetalMaster 215 for work a few years ago, where we do thick aluminium mostly.
You're going to struggle to get a name brand AC/DC TIG in the budget from earlier.
As a beginner, I find myself wishing I had a MIG when I'm doing simple stuff in steel. I know as I get better at TIG I'll get faster, but the fastidious prep needed and the constant grinding of electrodes makes a MIG very compelling. I think I'll just have to get both eventually.

Wow ... you said token tools ..... I've seen that guys posts on the woodworkers forum in the past. He seems like a hell of a character. What are his welders like ?

seeya,
Shane L.

That shoudl be fine... You only need a small cheap welder for car panels .... you'll have hte power set as low as it can go. You can't just "weld" sheet metal. repairing something like that floor with look absolutely shithouse with booger welds dobbed everywhere. You just grind flat ... and fill any missed spots. It's very time consuming.

this guy is just amazing the way he builds patch panels with a 4" grinder, hammer and welder
Just got to the bit where he used the cordless drill as a lathe to make a small plug.

Champion!

Right so I'm convinced, given what a want to build, get a moderate priced MIG, worry about a decent TIG later.

Tax year is a good time to go shopping. Bloody super-cheap are having a 30% everything sale tomorrow. This Cigweld 185 will be a smidge over $600 tomorrow..

Has a duty of 10% at full power, seem in line with other welders of it's size. Hmmmm.

Wow ... you said token tools ..... I've seen that guys posts on the woodworkers forum in the past. He seems like a hell of a character. What are his welders like ?

seeya,
Shane L.
I have a Token Tools AC/DC Tig /Plasma Cutter. It has been Fantastic. Having the ability to weld up a stainless exhaust system from mandrel bends, then at the flick of a switch repair an aluminium casting or cut any metal up to half inch thick is very convenient. His after sales service is outstanding, it had an IC fail in the current control circuit well after warranty ran out and he fixed it with no charge. He really is a character, but also very genuine and great to deal with.

Chris

Yep, Aaaaand I think I've settled on a Unimig 172 package that's going around.

$750 will see me with everything minus the Argon, should be plenty of fun. Yaaaaaay.

Is the a MIG/plasma cutter you can get? I reckon a plasma cutter would be very useful!

With me learning to weld it's going to act like a plazma cutter :D

But no not that I can see readily for under the $1000 mark.

We had a plasma cutter at old work, it scared me :S

WELDING UPDATE!

Just kidding.

Despite paying for everything back on the 4th, its yet to arrive.

They promised me maybe early next week maybe.

Grumble grumble

How cheap is this! Add $90 for a foot pedal. I have no idea what they're like but on paper, perfect for the home workshop:

https://www.australiaindustrialgrou...6VkyfoIuGhmFtVzwA_RT8zBYEMB6b0p5R1Axxk4AyMKS8
I've seen the trade tools equivalent get into the $700s when on special and it comes with a pedal.

https://www.tradetools.com/renegade-200amp-inverter-ac-dc-tig-welder-35-duty-cycle-riacdc200i

riacdc200i_001.jpg

Dave

Yep, Aaaaand I think I've settled on a Unimig 172 package that's going around.

$750 will see me with everything minus the Argon, should be plenty of fun. Yaaaaaay.
I have a 'Unimig 180' - had it a few years now & so far so good. If yours is going to have 'infrequent' use I'd advise going with a purchased Argon cylinder rather than rented! Have used mine to weld both mild & stainless - yet to try alloy. For descriptions of my metal-butchery to date see the threads under "Mathilde - Traction Bodyshell Repairs" in the 'Restoration Projects' section :)
Regards,
Rob

How cheap is this! Add $90 for a foot pedal. I have no idea what they're like but on paper, perfect for the home workshop:

https://www.australiaindustrialgrou...6VkyfoIuGhmFtVzwA_RT8zBYEMB6b0p5R1Axxk4AyMKS8
I think that's the one (or similar) used and reviewed in some of This Old Tony's videos. Seems to be quite good but he did have to get quite a few other gizmos like cups, torches etc. Not essential as far as I understand it, but significantly improving the work process and the results.

I have a 'Unimig 180' - had it a few years now & so far so good. If yours is going to have 'infrequent' use I'd advise going with a purchased Argon cylinder rather than rented! Have used mine to weld both mild & stainless - yet to try alloy. For descriptions of my metal-butchery to date see the threads under "Mathilde - Traction Bodyshell Repairs" in the 'Restoration Projects' section :)
Regards,
Rob
Re the Gas, yes I've seen deposit schemes like. Pay $200 deposit, then $99 bucks each time you empty the bottle. get your $200 back when you have had enough. Is that the kinds thing you cool kids are doing?

Regards,
Rob
Re the Gas, yes I've seen deposit schemes like. Pay $200 deposit, then $99 bucks each time you empty the bottle. get your $200 back when you have had enough. Is that the kinds thing you cool kids are doing?
I purchase my own bottles, I have "E" size bottles for Oxy-Acetylene and "D" size for my MIG & TIG welders. Over the next 10 years will save about $7000 over renting each year. It cost about 2 years rental to get set up but worth it in the long run.

You need to do your own sums on your usage and requirements.

Similar thing,
I've been using "Speedshield" Gas mix in 'Size E' (4m3) which lasts a good long time. My local hardware store is an agent for 'ELGAS' and swapping the cylinder takes less than an hour including coupling & uncoupling. Lost the original receipt but if memory is working it was best part of $400 initially, then each refill/swap costs around $100.
Happy fixing,
Rob