Xantia strut mounts

You mean #2 in this diagram? Sorry, can't help. #1 I have a NOS hose, I think for 2.0 16V, but the CT turbo seems to have a unique part#. Doesn't seem fussy about being RHD with AC.

1623245285700.png

Good points Buttercup and David.
I retract what I posed re. manufacturing decisions and stand by my suggestion of it (at least the later 'fail-safe' type) being a great design.

To add to/paraphrase what David said, if something is designed to last and perform well for a defined service life to satisfy the higher level system SoRs..... let's say about 10 years in this case...... and it does just that, then that is a great design.

Any service life beyond what it was designed for is a bonus.

It seems impossible to find David. Thanks for having a look!

The connector to the radiator on mine is stuffed, is there anyone sround who makes up hoses?

Good points Buttercup and David.
I retract what I posed re. manufacturing decisions and stand by my suggestion of it (at least the later 'fail-safe' type) being a great design.

To add to/paraphrase what David said, if something is designed to last and perform well for a defined service life to satisfy the higher level system SoRs..... let's say about 10 years in this case...... and it does just that, then that is a great design.

Any service life beyond what it was designed for is a bonus.
Yes, except that any component failure should be limited in its effect.
Having the car collapse suddenly, such that the top goes up through the bonnet and the wheelarch falls onto the wheel, is potentially a very serious safety issue.

Key structural components need to have either a very long designed life, or, a designed safe failure mode.
Obviously lacking here.

Regretfully Gents, one of the problems with buying / owning low productions number vehicles and we all know that the XM was out there to compete with the BMW 5 Series and the Mercedes E Series.

Whilst, from an automotive engineering sense it more so succeeded in doing that, the production numbers were never achieved - for reasons outside the persona of the vehicle (Global issues if one recalls).

Hence, not surprising that "parts no longer serviced" 20 - 30 years down the track.

Nevertheless, the issue I need to make is that the top of the Macpherson strut mount is a "consumable item" just like other suspension components. Check out eBay and other many sources of part suppliers for these "top Macpheron strut mounts" for say BMW's.

I do concur nevertheless, that failure should not damage the bonnet and technically in this day of age, the 1st series should have been recalled.

When working on my XM's (1st one that had the Lithunanian polymer replacements), I was whinging to a visitor to the workshop that I was working in, about the failed top mounts when he informed that it is a common suspension failure of many European vehicles (he is/was a very experienced qualified mechanic nearing retirement age specialized on prestige European vehicles).

Price we have to pay for loving the XM / Xantia.

John

For sure common on many Cars. Strut top mount rubber gave way on my X5 after the rubber cushions around the shock nut disintegrated…just made a bit of a squeaking noise though, no flying bonnets.

As I wrote earlier,....lucky for us later Xantia owners that Citroen eventually saw the error of their ways and redesigned the mounts to a 'fail-safe' design !