Renault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer

That's why you should write your memories down Kim, eventually what happened gets replaced by stories that get wider from the truth as time goes on. Everyone who knew everything eventually disappears. There was a guy at Renault who retired maybe 1973 who had been there from the time they moved into the old brothel in Elizabeth St. I don't know about Renault history but with Peugeot in Australia it took a long time to separate facts from stories.

That's why you should write your memories down Kim, eventually what happened gets replaced by stories that get wider from the truth as time goes on. Everyone who knew everything eventually disappears. There was a guy at Renault who retired maybe 1973 who had been there from the time they moved into the old brothel in Elizabeth St. I don't know about Renault history but with Peugeot in Australia it took a long time to separate facts from stories.

When I worked at Renault Heidelberg we had a foreman that had started as an apprentice working on Austin Sevens, stall-built in South Melbourne. Clarrie was his name and I am proud to have been at his send-off! All those years continuous......

When I worked at Renault Heidelberg we had a foreman that had started as an apprentice working on Austin Sevens, stall-built in South Melbourne. Clarrie was his name and I am proud to have been at his send-off! All those years continuous......
Please start writing Kim!! I'll put my name down for a copy.

Hello Renault FanI've got several advertising on this Australian Renault 9 tourer, I would like to share with You pictures but I didn't found how I can do
Bonjour Marc :)
It is easy to paste photos into a message posted here - just make sure they a small images. If you use Windows (?) you can use the Windows key + Shift + S sequence.

Ian.

Bonjour Marc :)
It is easy to paste photos into a message posted here - just make sure they a small images. If you use Windows (?) you can use the Windows key + Shift + S sequence.

Ian.
I think it handles up to 400-500 Kb now, which is quite reasonable - before it was under 100. Many modern cameras have ridiculously large files - often far better than the lenses but I won't start.........

I think it handles up to 400-500 Kb now, which is quite reasonable - before it was under 100. Many modern cameras have ridiculously large files - often far better than the lenses but I won't start.........
I'd noticed that it is MUCH easier now to paste in photos (as I'm just about to do in another thread - the one about Utes ...) :)

ian.

The Ira Berk letter is an absolute treasure. So it has come via the English factory at Acton but is being denied Commonwealth Preference as not being totally English. This alters the date it could have been shipped as the British motor industry took some time to convert to war production. We can assume that the Acton plant like Citroen at Slough was totally given over to war production after June 1940. There is a story the Citroen bodies were stacked in the open and finished after the war, shrapnel damage and all hidden under a generous coat of primer. Shipping became increasingly perilous and although there were small British car shipments in 1940 by 1941 only essential military use vehicles were being shipped to Australia. The car will appear on import records as a British vehicle.

The Pound family were very much involved with motor vehicles over a long period. I'm delighted to say that I know one of the family, but sadly for us he was not involved in car sales, but in manufacturing for GMH! I believe Pound Motors sponsored Renaults in the first Redex trials.
An old aunt of mine in Melbourne was a Pound & worked in the family business then married into the G.H. Leverett family.
Pound also sold VW's from the get go.
She regularly played golf until a few years ago although is now in a nursing home facility. She would be aware of all this stuff but is next to impossible to call.

Just picked up this thread ~
Off topic but may help others:

For anyone interested I have identifying information & where to locate chassis numbers tyre sizes & HP on all Citroens Peugeots & Renaults imported into Australia 1923 through 1934 that I can share.

Booklet also covers all other US UK & EU brands imported as well.

Last edited:
The Ira Berk letter is an absolute treasure. So it has come via the English factory at Acton but is being denied Commonwealth Preference as not being totally English. This alters the date it could have been shipped as the British motor industry took some time to convert to war production. We can assume that the Acton plant like Citroen at Slough was totally given over to war production after June 1940. There is a story the Citroen bodies were stacked in the open and finished after the war, shrapnel damage and all hidden under a generous coat of primer. Shipping became increasingly perilous and although there were small British car shipments in 1940 by 1941 only essential military use vehicles were being shipped to Australia. The car will appear on import records as a British vehicle.
It sure is a treasure. A high resolution scan would be very welcome (please!). My 4CV is French-built, imported to Adelaide by City Tractors in early 1951 but ordered through Renault Ltd in Acton - seems much the same as the issue in the letter. I have a scan of the Acton order book documenting my car and one other being ordered by City Tractors. This company was the local Renault agent and imported cars in parallel with the Sydney assembly activities (as did others outside NSW-Q'ld I think. I'm not sure how the import duty business was handled. Finding out my car's origin finally explained why it had a worn out French Dunlop as the spare tyre when I bought it - a long standing mystery!

Currencies were not as easily tradeable and payments for trade with France were often done through English agents, back to before WW1. As an example the Edwardian imports of Peugeot motor bikes was done through a Fenchurch Street agent - the bikes were ordered direct from France but payment made through Tozer, Kempsley and Fisher. The same as sale of wool to France was usually through an English agent who handled the money transfer. A more adventuresome wool seller, even sometimes an individual grazier, would accept payment in francs and then buy goods for sale in Australia. Which is probably behind the import of one-off French cars during the Edwardian period. Even after WW2 there were exchange oddities. A wool trader direct imported a Peugeot 202 in 1946 and it was possible to buy an impossible to obtain new RHD American car for Australian delivery from France for double the Australian list using Australian pounds. The Peugeot 203 import business was started by an Australian Dodge agent looking to import Dodge trucks via France. No, I don't know how that worked but I suspect the French were getting American stuff under the Marshall Plan that their dodgy francs couldn't have paid for.
My feeling is payment for the Renaults would have been made to Acton in Australian pounds and if the car has no English fittings it may have been direct shipped from France.

It sure is a treasure. A high resolution scan would be very welcome (please!). My 4CV is French-built, imported to Adelaide by City Tractors in early 1951 but ordered through Renault Ltd in Acton. I have a scan of the Acton order book documenting my car and one other being ordered by City Tractors. This company was the local Renault agent and imported cars in parallel with the Sydney assembly activities (as did others outside NSW-Q'ld I think. I'm not sure how the import duty business was handled. Finding out my car's origin finally explained why it had a worn out French Dunlop as the spare tyre when I bought it - a long standing mystery!
Yes, I think that is it exactly. Payment to Acton. The order suggested shipping from the "works" (usines Renault) to Australia. Interesting. I think about 14,000 4CVs were sold in Oz, but not sure how many were locally assembled. I'd guess half, given the size of Sydney's market.

I know someone who has a similar car, not sure what year but its a soft top and its in (sort of) original state!

BFJ1 ? c'est génial comme voiture et puis le couleur j'adore!
800px-Renault_Juvaquatre_(Type_AEB_2)_Limousine_1939_hell.jpg