Spotted on LLoyds Auctions 1971 R5TL

Anyone asked where it is located ?? Looks neat and tidy ! What engine ?
Jaahn

R1222 says the oval plate, that should say what engine is in it. Or was when new.

Wiki: Early 689-10, 8.3:1 CR
C1C 956cc (65x72); 32 kW

Very early car, it seems. I wonder why it is listed as 1971 since the R5 didn't come out before 1972 sez Wiki. The R5 was apparently launched on Jan 28, 1972 but I expect they had a few cars made already so it may be one of the first batch even though the engine and chassis numbers seem high.

That is one seriously cute little car.

I would have it for 22 bucks any day. Wonder how much it will go for.

Bowie, you should race that instead of POS.

Last edited:
Didn't KB own that little white gem way back? There was a mint baby blue one in my area but I haven't seen it in ages. Was literally like a new R5 and as Schlitzy says, super cute 😍

They really are cute little things. And, arguably easier to drop K4m's F4R's into so that's something :p

Just quietly I don't think it's a 71.
Early cars have dashboard gearshift like R4. This one has floor shift.
It has rear wiper, not sure if it's original?
However cars up to 1971 didn't have ADR compliance plate and didn't need lots of other stuff like head restraints.
Calling it a 1971 car would have made compliance easier if you can get away with it.

I would LOVE to own that car. But buying it would get me into a lot of hot water with management...

I was wondering about the gear stick too, but as you noticed my knowledge is based on Wiki so not that reliable. Wonder how complicamacated the floor stick mechanism would be. Would love a column shift like my old Toyota van.

Hi :)
I would give them $22 also, even double that ;) ! But I would like to know where it is located as pickup or freight will be significant. It was registered in QLD.
I believe, with little hard evidence, that the 750/850 cars had the gear lever in the dash carried over from the R4 but the R8 engines and boxes had the other gear shift. Possibly ?? I think it is a 1978 series 1, 956cc engine, again not much hard evidence.
Cute car but I have resolved to stay away from auction sites. They have become lazy sellers now with no decent way to provide information but some poorly taken photos and no guarantee of anything. Covid has provided an even 'better' way for them to make money at less effort. :eek: NAAH
Jaahn

Hi :)
I would give them $22 also, even double that ;) ! But I would like to know where it is located as pickup or freight will be significant. It was registered in QLD.
I believe, with little hard evidence, that the 750/850 cars had the gear lever in the dash carried over from the R4 but the R8 engines and boxes had the other gear shift. Possibly ?? I think it is a 1978 series 1, 956cc engine, again not much hard evidence.
Cute car but I have resolved to stay away from auction sites. They have become lazy sellers now with no decent way to provide information but some poorly taken photos and no guarantee of anything. Covid has provided an even 'better' way for them to make money at less effort. :eek: NAAH
Jaahn
There's shipping costs listed, the cheapest is Queensland metro, so I assume it's in Brissy.

Last edited:
Looks to be the car Bob Sprage? in Sydney sold some years ago to up here that ended up at a dealer Undercover Cars at Capalaba. They were looking for $8k for the car I think.

I'd rather the 460 rear wheel drive Lincoln, than a 454 front wheel drive Oldsmobile Toronado! Yuk 😲
But if I had to go front drive land yacht, a '71 Buick Riviera would be my choice.

Hehe. Well aren't you Mr fancy pants.

Land yachts are a giggle! But get stuffed trying to take that via the Macas drive-thru. And if you can't do that, Ah would be a fun paddock basher.

Re transporting stuff, I recently discovered truckit.net

I was getting quotes, door to door, for ~500 to move my Reno from Syd to Melb should that assist anyone :)

Last edited:
I like big cars despite the fact that I have a number of Renaults. But I lust after a big Jaguar but SWBO threatens divorce and that would cost more than I could afford.