DY3 engine block suitable for 2347cc?

Loudel

Fellow Frogger
One for the gurus, as title says.
I have an old DS19 engine block, could I use it to upgrade to 2347 liners?
RegarDS
Lou

DS19 is a long stroke motor, which is completely different from the 2347. Long stroke motors have three main bearings. The 2347 is a five-main bearing motor, similar to the DS21 and ID19.

DY3 is a short stroke from the late 60's, early 70's. You shoudl be able to fit a DS23 piston/liner set. I'll leave that to the experts to detail :) (me, I'd like to rebuild one to 2.5 or 2.6 litres using CX parts!).

Its probably not a DS19, rather a DS20, or "DSpecial/Dsuper".

DY3 is a short stroke from the late 60's, early 70's. You shoudl be able to fit a DS23 piston/liner set. I'll leave that to the experts to detail :) (me, I'd like to rebuild one to 2.5 or 2.6 litres using CX parts!).

Its probably not a DS19, rather a DS20, or "DSpecial/Dsuper".
DY3 Block will only take 2.1 litre liners and pistons that is the upgrade recommended, not sure but would guess 2.3 litre liners would need some engineering of the block

I’m with John T on this. Old DS19 block is another species of animal. They won‘t fit. Different block all together.

Cheers
Andrew

Manual 814 suggests that the 1985cc DY3 engine was fitted to D Specials from late 1972 on. You should be able to fit the 2175cc liners as suggested above but not the 2347cc ones.

Part of the reason 2.3L DX4&5 engines are more prone to overheating is that the pistons and liners have a larger diameter but the block is the same size so the volume of the water jacket is reduced.

1985cc pistons are 86mm, 2175cc pistons are 90mm and 2347cc pistons are 93.5mm dia.

I stand corrected, I only saw “old DS19” and not the DY3 . Maybe it should have been headed ” old ID19 block”? I do agree the 2347 liners will give you overheating problems.

Cheers
Andrew

To alleviate the potential overheating problems maybe it would be necessary to upgrade the radiator to a DS23 style cross flow unit!

I stand corrected, I only saw “old DS19” and not the DY3 . Maybe it should have been headed ” old ID19 block”? I do agree the 2347 liners will give you overheating problems.

Cheers
Andrew
It was headed DY3, the misleading bit was the info of "old" DS19.
I would expect that most of us (except Gerry) would call longstroke 3 bearing as old, and shortstroke 5 bearing as not so old.
I acknowledge that there are those that consider the D era as "recent".
Similarly I get a bit huffy when someone refers to my round light Dees as IDs.

I recently received a gift of a Citroen front beam axle with hubs, steering arms and quarter elyptic springs...... reputedly to be 1921.
I guess thats "old"?

I like 'old' and am comfortable with that as a description for long strokers. I reckon the beam axle is 'ancient' i.e. horse and cart stuff! And as for anything post CX, it is positively 'space age' modern.
Oooohhhh CX..... waaaaay toooo modern!

I’m with John T on this. Old DS19 block is another species of animal. They won‘t fit. Different block all together.

Cheers
Andrew
He says its a DY3 though :) So "old" is early 70s!
Oooohhhh CX..... waaaaay toooo modern!
:ROFLMAO: I keep thinking of the CX as "the new car" ..... Even though we have owned it for 25years now!

My bad. The engine block is a DY3 from an early 70's DSpecial.
I do have 2175 pistons and liners (new Mahle) which I may use. Or sell
Dunno yet.
Thank you to all who have contibuted.
And I do have a CX25IE as well.
Plus a BX 19Tri
OMG, am I afflicted??
RegarDS
Lou

Manual 814 suggests that the 1985cc DY3 engine was fitted to D Specials from late 1972 on. You should be able to fit the 2175cc liners as suggested above but not the 2347cc ones.

Part of the reason 2.3L DX4&5 engines are more prone to overheating is that the pistons and liners have a larger diameter but the block is the same size so the volume of the water jacket is reduced.

1985cc pistons are 86mm, 2175cc pistons are 90mm and 2347cc pistons are 93.5mm dia.
The 2175cc is considered by many to be the sweet spot in engine size for the block as it is less prone to overheating issues.

You can't put 2347 pistons in a DY3 block. 23 pistons will only fit in a 23 block as the 23 block is machined differently to accommodate the larger pistons.
Kind regards,
Mark