203 project

yeah, no - as you will discover by numbers, but in Australia there are very few any earlier ... same as mine, less the modern lights, wheels etc ...

Attachments

• 1p05.jpg
    1p05.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 1p06.jpg
    1p06.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 133
It's what's called a 1950 model probably sold late in the year. Peugeot change their model year at the end of September. The features that distinguish it as a 1950 are the seats and the internal boot release. There are lots of 203's said to be 1948 models about but it's just one of the things people say. The first RHD cars were produced in March/April 1949 and the first three pre-release models landed in Melbourne in July 1949. The earliest RHD 203 I know about is a June 1949 model in Cape Province in South Africa. I know someone who registered a 1951 model as a 1950 and it keeps popping up on ebay as a 1950. So if you register it as a 1948 only a few boring pedants would ever notice. After all a 1948 model 202 was registered in NSW as a 1938 and nobody noticed for years.

Taken from an auction site in Europe.
Note; the photo is similar to your 203,
also this shows the same bumper and over riders which my 203 had.
  • Year of manufacture
  • Car type
    Other
  • Lot number
  • Drive
    LHD
  • Condition
    Restored
  • Number of seats
  • Exterior colour
    Beige
  • Drivetrain
    2wd
  • Fuel type
    Petrol

Description​

French title
Chassis n ° 1120880
- Extremely neat restoration
- "Small rear windscreen" and Luxe Export model
- Rare wooden steering wheel
- No reserve
Sold new in Switzerland, in Lausanne, this Peugeot 203 is a rare Luxe Export version. Moreover, it is one of the oldest examples of this famous French sedan, since it left the factor on the production's first year, and it still has the "small rear windscreen" which is particularly sought after by collectors today.
1607474249290.png

It's what's called a 1950 model probably sold late in the year. Peugeot change their model year at the end of September. The features that distinguish it as a 1950 are the seats and the internal boot release. There are lots of 203's said to be 1948 models about but it's just one of the things people say. The first RHD cars were produced in March/April 1949 and the first three pre-release models landed in Melbourne in July 1949. The earliest RHD 203 I know about is a June 1949 model in Cape Province in South Africa. I know someone who registered a 1951 model as a 1950 and it keeps popping up on ebay as a 1950. So if you register it as a 1948 only a few boring pedants would ever notice. After all a 1948 model 202 was registered in NSW as a 1938 and nobody noticed for years.
That's what's so good about forums the wealth of knowledge cool let the learning curve begin... thank you Russell

Jarrett,

if you are after manuals, parts and workshop plus... I can supply you a digital copy. Just start a conversation with me and send me your postal address. No charge, what goes round, comes round

Dano

Was told it was a French made pre production RHD done in 48 sent out in 49....
Russell I have heard you wrote a book on the history of Peugeot in Australia would like to purchase a copy please..could you point me in the right direction..

I did indeed. I sell them direct for $30 posted. If you would like a copy send your address to me at corndale@bordernet.com.au and I will post you a copy. Motorbook World in Melbourne and Automoto in Sydney also sell them.

so french yes but 'Pre Production' only insofar as predating local assembly ... DeeCee is another whose posts you should look for, he knew the car ( as 'Roger Rabbit' ) in Gippsland...

Last edited:
so french yes but 'Pre Production' only insofar as predating local assembly ... DeeCee is another whose posts you should look for, he knew the car ( as 'Roger Rabbit' ) in Gippsland...
Would that be Bob's old 203?

yes.
edited to correct record - no new duco.

Last edited:
My 203 spares car is a 113 prefix and was Sept. reg in Victoria.
Always hard to figure shipping times to Australia. Wide variance according to type of ship and sailing schedule. The first big shipment was a charter and made good time.

Last edited:
The sales term for the full imports as used at CCM was " French body." Even used on the secondhand cars.

the boot in question (DeeCee sent me these a couple of years ago) showing the cable release and some of the taillight wiring - mine had a small pull-switch, but can’t see that this one does ...

Attachments

• 2018-05-29 16.33.37 copy.jpg
    2018-05-29 16.33.37 copy.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 149
  • rogerdetail1 copy.jpeg
    rogerdetail1 copy.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
There is always the extra "1" which is the 203 code in front of the serial number. If we had 1113 then we would have a rare early model. There is talk of a 1114 in SA, which would have come in the December 1949 shipment but I have yet to confirm it. The shipment that arrived January 1950 had 1115 and 1116 cars in it. Australia was the largest RHD market. The Australian cars had a unique gearbox. The body section did not convert the boot release to the passenger side and the one door lock remained on the left. As you can't easily mix RHD and LHD cars on an assembly line the most likely factory response would be to set up a separate RHD line although they could have changed the main line to RHD for a run. When you factor in cars being shipped in undercoat it makes it more likely a dedicated line was used.

Last edited: