Can anyone identify what this could be DS23 dash

Glenn Drake

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
This switch came out of a 74 DS Pallas that I just can’t figure out what it is - legit Citroen accessory or previous owner addition?
(car has long gone so can’t go back and wire trace etc.).
The car had auto clima aircon, so that’s probably why there’s no push button fan controls like often the case in this panel.
Wiring looks a bit of a botch job, but that doesn’t immediately rule it out of being a dealer fitted option of some kind from the time.
Got me 🤔
Any thoughts from the brains trust would be much appreciated👍

Attachments

• 76C5AFCA-9642-4C84-B417-524835A06659.jpeg
    76C5AFCA-9642-4C84-B417-524835A06659.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 232
  • B246C1E0-34A7-460C-9CA8-84ACF52665E6.jpeg
    B246C1E0-34A7-460C-9CA8-84ACF52665E6.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 219
Hi Glen,
Best guess would be that it may be a fade control for an aftermarket stereo (front to rear) - just going by the pairs of what looks like speaker cable?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Glen,
Best guess would be that it may be a fade control for an aftermarket stereo (front to rear) - just going by the pairs of what looks like speaker cable?

Cheers
Chris
Yes I think could be something like that.
Quite serendipitously, there’s a DS same model as this switchgear came out of on Carsales today...and it has the same thing on the dash!
The advertisement says the car was owned by the Australian Citroen club president (??), so I’ll try to make contact.

cheers

I'd go along with the speaker suggestion. It looks as though its doing the same job as a similar knob fitted to mid 60s cars that had the Continental Edison 'Hi-Fi' radio fitted. is it a smooth rotation or does it click into different positions as it's rotated? Some of the later third dash cars (again perhaps only those fitted with an FM radio??) had a extra speaker in the grille by the mirror AND it had a trim pot. Not sure if that balanced the sound or just muted that front speaker.

Attachments

• 119711377_3435702039824936_5079428240968124435_o.jpg
    119711377_3435702039824936_5079428240968124435_o.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 112
I agree, I've seen similar to provide intermittent wiper function.

You spotted there probably wasn't enough wiring connections for it to be a fader too :) My father DSpecial had a similar switch, but it was a switch, not a variable resister. I htink it switched between 8 track/tape deck.

How it buttercup going these days ?? I don't think there is any running DS19s in Australia at the moment!

You spotted there probably wasn't enough wiring connections for it to be a fader too :) My father DSpecial had a similar switch, but it was a switch, not a variable resister. I htink it switched between 8 track/tape deck.

How it buttercup going these days ?? I don't think there is any running DS19s in Australia at the moment!
We have a Slough DS WhatsApp group, i think Roger W and JB have theirs running, but not on the road.... we are planning a major SDS presence at next CitIn, so I need to make a determined push on Buttercup.

Budge's picture shows a fader for the third model DS (1969-1975)
Glenn's picture shows a pushbutton for the rear window heating
The turn buttons shows a potentiometer so it's probably a loudspeaker fader.

We have a Slough DS WhatsApp plus group, i think Roger W and JB have theirs running, but not on the road.... we are planning a major SDS presence at next CitIn, so I need to make a determined push on Buttercup.
Do you have a link to this WhatsApp group that can join this group? It would be a great honor for me to join this group.

Okay, just thought I would confirm this mystery part to all those who helped me with suggestions.
I have installed it into my DS and it turns out it is indeed a speaker fader for front to rear speakers.
I have not been able to find any clear references to this anywhere, but there is a mention on the original owner manual of “radio set sound mixer” as an optional feature.
CB84202C-E340-4D8A-853A-96668C94BCE4.jpeg