Home Made Special Differential Bearing Nut Wrench [Renault]

RINGER

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Had a few minutes to spare so decided to give this a go ~ <1 hour later & all done.
1 piece of 65mm OD muffler tube
Alternate tube size for other marque vehicle nuts
Scribe 7mm from 1 end line around tube
Draw 18 equidistant lines down to meet the scribe mark
3 cutting discs mounted on an angle grinder
Grind along the same side of each of the 18 lines carefully, with a steady hand.
Drill 2 holes @ the other end of the tube to facilitate a turning bar [not shown on the example].
Clean up & all done.

Attachments

• DSCF2273.JPG
    DSCF2273.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF2274.JPG
    DSCF2274.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF2275.JPG
    DSCF2275.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF2276.JPG
    DSCF2276.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF2277.JPG
    DSCF2277.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 167
I made mine from another nut, just bolted a flat piece of stock across the back. That way I have aluminium (and the same cast at that) to work against aluminium rather than steel against Aluminium.

The absolute advantage of what was quickly & inexpensively manufactured is that the tool full engages & leverages from the bottom of the recess & between the teeth just as Renault's steel special purpose tool ~ totally unlike the reverse nut situation described above that is only leveraging on the exposed unsupported aluminum lug tops. Aluminium on aluminium has no advantage whatsoever, in such a situation.

Still if what one chooses works without something breaking, bonne chance.

Had a few minutes to spare so decided to give this a go ~ <1 hour later & all done.
Grind along the same side of each of the 18 lines carefully, with a steady hand.
Drill 2 holes @ the other end of the tube to facilitate a turning bar [not shown on the example].
Clean up & all done.

Nice work. The neater the fit the better the result. Thanks for sharing the concept.

Clean up & all done.

Nice work. The neater the fit the better the result. Thanks for sharing the concept.

The depth of the slots on the factory tool is 5.6 mm. The washer that I cut my slots into is 5 mm thick.

The slots in my home tool are not all that neat but still spread the load across the teeth OK. I have never broken or bent any teeth with the home made tool. The trick with this type of tool is to spread the load across all the teeth evenly.

The real McCoy, posted on a French site back in 2018. Sadly long since gone.

Things you find when looking for some thing else.

Artificier, yours looks pretty spot on for a knock off.

Wanoda 364 Tool for Renault R12 R15 R16 R1 R207

Uploaded by Tool on 13-October-2018 at 15:03

3 photos available Price: 60 € Postal code: 25480 City: Ecole-Valentin Region: Franche-Comté Category: Auto Equipment Description: Wanoda 364 tools for Renault R12 R15 R16 R17 R20 Slot wrench for differential bearing nut In good condition As facom wilmonda Wanoda fenwick Period and professional equipment Ideal for restoring or maintaining your car Possibility to pay by check or paypal To see my other advertisements type tool25
SPECIALIZED TOOLS - Page 4 1814e310

SPECIALIZED TOOLS - Page 4 20fd9410

Update: Replaced both seals, 1/2 shafts modified Subaru Brumby, 72mm OD inboard end off another model Suburu, refitted differential nuts with Permatex Gasket maker ~ Gear Oil #81182.
Modified the tool to be able to ratchet 1/2" drive & it worked great:
DSCF2315.JPGDSCF2312.JPGDSCF2321.JPGDSCF2322.JPG

Update: Replaced both seals, 1/2 shafts modified Subaru Brumby, 72mm OD inboard end off another model Suburu, refitted differential nuts with Permatex Gasket maker ~ Gear Oil #81182.

Hi Artificer,

Do the inboard ends of the half-shafts use the same pin hole position as Renault?
I obviously haven't kept up, but what's the interest in the Subaru half-shafts etc.?

This is a Light 15 fitted with modern power disc brakes. The transmission & engine are Renault 16. Subaru copied lots from Renault. The inboard had to be modified & the Renault ends welded on. I am putting a pictorial together on fabricating the drive shafts & fitting disc brakes for others who may be interested.

Thanks, I'll be watching.
I have a Europa and looking at options for converting the stock UJ half-shafts to CV's.

The tricky part is the inboard flange. I've contemplated 'finding' some wrecked R15/17 half-shafts to be able to salvage just the inner splined part and weld on a flange for, presumably VW CV's.

Same engine & tranny.
The light 15 has a very small aperture so the inner needs to be small in my case I used an old Subaru that is 72mm OD. Can be male or female end as it is parted off as is the old Renault female into the diff from an old driveshaft.

Same engine & tranny.
The light 15 has a very small aperture so the inner needs to be small in my case I used an old Subaru that is 72mm OD. Can be male or female end as it is parted off as is the old Renault female into the diff from an old driveshaft.
there was a traction around 20years ago with a 16TS motor and gearbox in it .... Is that yours? It would be very fast and light (all alloy motor!).

I think so, was from Parkes, Orange then Canberra I think. Goes well especially on the flat, doesn't like hills much without momentum.
Will sit in motorway speeds no problem & the power disc brakes I fitted work a treat.