C5 Depollution System Faulty

bleach

Tadpole
I recently had this dashboard message DEPOLLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY. A Citroen dealer found FAULT CODES related to FUEL PUMP REGULATOR AND TEMP SENSOR. Regulator was replaced (genuine I believe) but the new Temp Sensor had a different front connection & could not be connected, so the old sensor was retained. The New Regulator DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM - problem returned on drive home. It seems when the car is under any pressure to increase speed up hillier parts, it has a heart attack, kicks a bit and loses power. Once home again, a local mechanic cleared the codes, suspects it could be the fuel pump, either the intake pump or the engine pump. Said I wasted my money on getting a new regulator! With codes cleared, the car ran perfectly for a few days around town even using cruise control in 50/60 zones to test it. On Sunday I tried a highway drive to test it further and the same problem occurred. This is what happened. As I was by now very cautious, I graduated up to about 70kmh in a 100 zone & set cruise control. Good so far. Then I increased speed up to 100kmh in steps of 5 kmh using the cruise buttons. Cruise worked fine that way. Before entering highway I had to PAUSE CRUISE CONTROL due to a 60 zone. On entering highway I UNPAUSE CRUISE CONTROL to get the car back to 100kmh, but the car didn't like the acceleration needed by the cruise control and has a heart attack and cruise control won't work. I have to then slowly speed up to 100 using throttle pedal. I can then set cruise control and it seems to work fine, but the error warning symbol is still there.
The next day I drove car to shops with engine error warning symbol still showing. On restarting car after shopping, the ERROR SYMBOL HAD GONE! The car is a 2009 build C5 ExclusiveTourer in excellent condition and done only 92000kms with annual log book services. I haven't returned to the Citroen dealer as he is in Wyoming, Gosford and I am in Port Macquarie 3.5hrs away. Has anyone had similar problems and could suggest a fix or good Citroen mechanic anywhere from Sydney to Mid North Coast? PS does anyone know when the Timing Belt is due? I recall another Citroen dealer saying 120000kms? Thanks

How recently has the fuel filter been changed?
A fuel filter clogged from even one bad fillup of Diesel will starve the engine and produce a lot of the faults you seem to have.

Cheers, Ken

Yes I wondered about fuel starvation - I had a Turbo (petrol) Xantia in which the engine would cut out if I put it under load. This problem gradually got worse over time. Turned out out to be blocked fuel strainer (from memory there was a jelly-like sludge blocking the strainer - probably caused by using ethanol fuel).

So fuel strainer (if fitted), fuel filter and fuel pump(s) would all be in the mix (pressure regulator can obviously be excluded).

If you post your VIN someone should be able to tell you a lot more about your specific car - for example whether it has one or two fuel pumps! Our Pug 307 HDi only had one. Also VIN would allow us to work out correct timing belt change interval.

Cheers

Alec

2009 is presumably an RHR 2.0L HDI model. Is that so? Check digits 6,7,8 in the VIN.

The power behaviour sounds like a fueling issue, but do you have the error code numbers? Depollution signals a combustion error.

There is a Peugeot dealer in Port - John Patrick. Several Pug models use that same engine and transmission. I have no idea what their workshop is like.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Further info: C5 is 2.0 Turbo Diesel HDI.
VIN VF7RWRHRJ54073125.
The Fuel Filter has been changed once 7 years ago at 40000kms (now done 92000kms). So likely due for replacement.
The error codes were:
P0088 Fuel pressure regulator control rail pressure too high.
P0087 Fuel pressure regulator control pressure less than as required.
P1351 Preheating relay circuit relay controlled and spark plugs not supplied.
Cheers

2009 is presumably an RHR 2.0L HDI model. Is that so? Check digits 6,7,8 in the VIN.

The power behaviour sounds like a fueling issue, but do you have the error code numbers? Depollution signals a combustion error.

There is a Peugeot dealer in Port - John Patrick. Several Pug models use that same engine and transmission. I have no idea what their workshop is like.
I tried them - not impressed. I couldn't speak to a mechanic only the front desk. Then had to wait 10 minutes for desk manager to be free, then after another 5 minutes explaining the problem, the best he could do was to ask me to book it in, but warned they had a two week backlog! and it will cost a min of $160 for the mechanic to do a diagnostic! I have been seeing a local independent mechanic who diagnosed and cleared the codes TWICE now for only $50. So I will probably go back to him hopefully with some ideas from this forum. Does anyone use or know of an OBD2 Scanner that suits a Citroen? Cheers

There is a Citroen trained mechanic with a good reputation in Newcastle who frequents this site ! I can't recall his name , but he regularly offered advice on auto trans problems, so you may identify him from back posts ?

Similar error codes to when I was learning about fuel filter problems back in the early 2010s with my 2008 RHR engined C5 as per avatar. Have you ever had the engine cut out when passing a B double? - super drama.

I only use BP diesel now and havn't had to change a fuel filter for years.

Cheers, Ken

I'm not doubting that it needs a new fuel filter, but how do you get a P0088 - fuel pressure too high - if it is starving for fuel? Or are the descriptions (presumably from a generic code reader) simply wrong?

Get a filter.

EAI at Thornleigh can send you one. 9481 8400. Look on Youtube for the method of removing the cap and putting it back on an RHR 2.0 HDI. It is very stiff, It has gone too long without service.

One load of bad fuel, or fungus growth in the tank can foul a filter. The filter housing also includes a water trap.

For diagnostics it's best to get laptop computer software and cables from "unofficial" sources. PSA uses Diagbox. dmccurtayne uses Delphi DS150E if my memory is correct. Simple generic code readers can usually read and reset, but they can't see what the various sensors are getting.

Last edited:
Similar error codes to when I was learning about fuel filter problems back in the early 2010s with my 2008 RHR engined C5 as per avatar. Have you ever had the engine cut out when passing a B double? - super drama.

I only use BP diesel now and havn't had to change a fuel filter for years.

Cheers, Ken
Is BP a better quality than say Shell or Caltex? What about independents like United etc? Should independents be avoided?

It's probably more important that the servo tanks are clean and well used. You don't want condensation or filth in them.

Is it worth putting a fuel system cleaner through the tank. My son had a similar problem on his diesel Evoque. The problem was solved.

I do fuel filters every 20k one year I’m surprised it’s still running 7 years on
Thanks dmc. I'm too am surprised and I'm too mechanically minded. I will definitely be changing the filter. Are you a Citroen mechanic or a Citroen enthusiast or both? I love my C5. It's a pity they are no longer available in Aus. I've owned a few Renaults in the past, 10, 12 & 16TS. All excellent. Wish I had owned a Gordini though. Cheers

Sorry for the late get back to all you guys. Changed the fuel filter as most of you recommended, and it worked. Car running like a dream now. Thanks for all your advice.

Thanks dmc. I'm too am surprised and I'm too mechanically minded. I will definitely be changing the filter. Are you a Citroen mechanic or a Citroen enthusiast or both? I love my C5. It's a pity they are no longer available in Aus. I've owned a few Renaults in the past, 10, 12 & 16TS. All excellent. Wish I had owned a Gordini though. Cheers
I’m a pug cit mechanic I’m just blown away that central coast euro would do a reg without checking the filter will bring that up with josh Hilton next time we talk.