POSSIBLE TELSTRA INTERNET OUTAGE??

robmac

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I lost NBN connected internet about 10:00 , Sunday 02/08/2020.

All was indicating normal on the NBN HFC modem and the telstra Gateway. There was no connection to the internet nor Voip telephone service.
4g backup service was fully functional.

As of 12:07 the NBN service is still down. It seems to me the Telstra DNS (domain name server is either down or not able to be reached.

The telstra service status website is not reachable either.

So we all need to cool our heels until telstra fix the issue/s.

According to Sydney papers, it is a denial of service attack on the domain name server. Try using another, eg Google 8.8.8.8

According to Sydney papers, it is a denial of service attack on the domain name server. Try using another, eg Google 8.8.8.8

So the DOS attack must be on both Primary and Secondary DNS ??

In view of the path error when trying to reach the Service status website. I'm inclined to seek a less controversial explanation than "the Sydney papers."

Telstra has quite a history of servers failing or becoming unreachable. ;)

I still have a reliable internet connection , thanks to the 4g backup built into the Telstra gateway. So i'm not inclined to alter network settings.

I'm sure all will be sorted out in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
That explains it then. Not sure why my 4G didn't kick in. Thought it odd that the service outage page has gone 404.

Cheers

Justin

That explains it then. Not sure why my 4G didn't kick in. Thought it odd that the service outage page has gone 404.

Cheers

Justin

Pull the plug on the cat 6 cable the connects your modem to the router. This will activate your 4g back up.

Pull the plug on the cat 6 cable the connects your modem to the router. This will activate your 4g back up.
Good tip - sounds like it's working, but pretty slowly. Probably the whole of the east coast with Telstra now using 4G.

Cheers

Justin

So the DOS attack must be on both Primary and Secondary DNS ??

In view of the path error when trying to reach the Service status website. I'm inclined to seek a less controversial explanation than "the Sydney papers."

Telstra has quite a history of servers failing or becoming unreachable. ;)

I still have a reliable internet connection , thanks to the 4g backup built into the Telstra gateway. So i'm not inclined to alter network settings.

I'm sure all will be sorted out in the not too distant future.

Telstra has to many of these types of outages for what is suppose to be the premier brand for connectivity today.

The 4G backup is bit like buying a ute when you buy your Harley Davidson motor cycle.

Anyway on a good note anyone that has a smart phone can turn on the hot spot feature and get the same backup.

Yep I see that Dianne my daughter was in despair that her computer had finally failed until others revealed they had the same problems in Tassie, a big relief. Isn't it amazing how we always suspect the worst - but fortunately things usually work out..

Ken

Telstra has to many of these types of outages for what is suppose to be the premier brand for connectivity today.

The 4G backup is bit like buying a ute when you buy your Harley Davidson motor cycle.

Anyway on a good note anyone that has a smart phone can turn on the hot spot feature and get the same backup.

The backup service is provided free. There is no charge to access the 4g network and any data used is included in the fixed internet. The gateway which allows the backup service costs a once off $200 fee (from memory) , which was paid off for a few dollars per month in the overall NBN plan.

In my opinion having 4G backup is bargain .

"These kind of outages" are as a results of third party denial of service attack. Accordingly they are largely beyond the control of the ISP.

Reactions: COL
still a bit flaky

Cheers

Justin

still a bit flaky

Cheers

Justin

So the cause of the outage (almost predictably) has changed.

This is the latest( excuse?)

"The massive messaging storm that presented as a denial of service cyber-attack has been investigated by our security teams and we now believe that it was not malicious, but a domain name server issue," the company said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/telstra-internet-outage-causes-hour-long-disruptions/12516344

Some may understand my cynicism. Especially implicitly believing the accuracy of newspaper reporting. :(

I'm just glad that this morning all was o.k. and the Zoom meeting that I got up early this morning at 5am went off perfectly, no interruptions, so nice to see so many overseas that we won't be meeting with personally for the forseeable future. very clear good audio.

Ken

I'm just glad that this morning all was o.k. and the Zoom meeting that I got up early this morning at 5am went off perfectly, no interruptions, so nice to see so many overseas that we won't be meeting with personally for the forseeable future. very clear good audio.

Ken

I didn't think Telstra was your ISP.

I would imagine all other ISPs (except possibly Belong and Aldi )were un-effected.

Not malice. I wonder what software they run.

No DNS issues here, but many sites are slow to connect.

It doesn't surprise me that Telstra doesn't know what's going on. It took me nearly 5 months to get a refund on an overpayment that they acknowledged at the very start that they had direct debited incorrectly. Try and get a new service connected these days - they refuse to liase with NBNCo and leave you in the middle with no hope. Nearly 6 months to get a new service connected which I then immediately ported elsewhere.

Seriously badly run and staffed business.

Cheers

Justin

It doesn't surprise me that Telstra doesn't know what's going on. It took me nearly 5 months to get a refund on an overpayment that they acknowledged at the very start that they had direct debited incorrectly. Try and get a new service connected these days - they refuse to liase with NBNCo and leave you in the middle with no hope. Nearly 6 months to get a new service connected which I then immediately ported elsewhere.

Seriously badly run and staffed business.

Cheers

Justin

I've found the opposite. I've got a very reliable service and the changeover to a NBN connected service was fast and efficient.

The technical results are first class as well.

INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
Export Results
DATE /TIMEPING
ms
DOWNLOAD
Mbps
UPLOAD
Mbps
DISTANCE
mi
LOCATION /SERVERPROVIDER

08/02/2020
2:38 PM
9109.8835.91< 50Melbourne
Telstra
Telstra

I had similar bad experiences 5 years ago going through the same new service install and setup at a different property. I can't believe the same bad staff were involved. They must have all received promotions to middle management by then. Is there that big a difference between the remaining Melbourne Telstra heritage staff and the staff in Sydney ? I keep an Optus service 'just in case' because the Telstra service drops out that often.

Really the worst company I've had to deal with on so many occasions.

Try and get in touch with a support person these days. You can't. You need to contact them through an app and they never resolve any issue on the first contact. Every time you try and engage them on subsequent occasions no-one has ever made any notes on your account, and you need to start all over again. Whenever I did actually manage to get a local support person involved they were only too happy to point out the deficiencies of their offshore colleagues We had priority assistance added to our account due to a life threatening medical condition and it was absolutely worthless. Incompetent is not an overstatement.

Just terrible.

Cheers

Justin