Boost issue

Darko

Tadpole
Hi there,
I had my 308 at the Peugeot dealer for diagnostic. It is 1.6 turbo petrol 2008. The fault codes are p003 and p0299. They recon it is either fault with the wastegate or the turbo it self. They didn’t even open the hood. I did not noticed any strange noises out of the turbine, but noticed small decline in power. I have looked under the hood and around the turbo and found the hose (circled red in pic) to be disconnected. I have reattached It and cleared the codes. Road tested and I noticed slight increase in power and the fault didn’t come back.
My question is could that be the issue and what is called that part where the hose is plugged in.
Cheers, guys
85A1D2AA-015E-49D1-AD0E-B594FB0F33B2.jpeg

I know nothing about these cars but I reckon you have found the problem and fixed the problem.

If I was you I would replace that piece of hose with a new one because it will probably come off again.

Won't comment on the lack of service you got from the Peugeot dealer, hope they never charged you.

I know nothing about these cars but I reckon you have found the problem and fixed the problem.

If I was you I would replace that piece of hose with a new one because it will probably come off again.

Won't comment on the lack of service you got from the Peugeot dealer, hope they never charged you.
I hope I have fixed it.
I wish they didn’t charge me, their min charge is one hour which is $125, bastards.

Reactions: COL
Wow that seems a bit rich. We got a coolant flush and change for $88 at the dealer inclusive of the coolant and labour, and that took about an hour. $125 for not much.. hmm, would think twice about going there again.

P0299 is under-boost. The other code looks like a typo.

Wow that seems a bit rich. We got a coolant flush and change for $88 at the dealer inclusive of the coolant and labour, and that took about an hour. $125 for not much.. hmm, would think twice about going there again.
definitely not going back there.

That looks like it - open circuit on the turbo bypass.

That looks like it - open circuit on the turbo bypass.
So do you think that the hose that was off from what it looks like some sort of vacuum unit could be the issue? And do you know the name of that part that the hose came off?
I have a login for Peugeot service box, but recently they have change to paid subscription even when I search for parts numbers.

I compared it with my 1.6THP engine, but they differ. I can only suppose it is a turbo control.

The hose to the right of the circle is what you are questioning, is the fault. The hose is from the cam cover, which recirculates ERG gasses. All fixed. They should have seen that and charged you nothing. Don't take it there again.

The hose goes to the waste gate diaphragm that controls waste gate control rod. That hose commonly comes off when u r in there either replacing electric water pump or doing the oil filter housing oil seals.
waste gate failure is also common but can be diagnosed by removing o2 sensor from turbo exhaust section and a camera put inside to see condition of flapper. The flapper and turbine housing is now available seperate from turbo and doesn’t need a complete turbo replacement when wastegate fails.
as the above member said. Don’t to back to those fools.

The hose goes to the waste gate diaphragm that controls waste gate control rod. That hose commonly comes off when u r in there either replacing electric water pump or doing the oil filter housing oil seals.
waste gate failure is also common but can be diagnosed by removing o2 sensor from turbo exhaust section and a camera put inside to see condition of flapper. The flapper and turbine housing is now available seperate from turbo and doesn’t need a complete turbo replacement when wastegate fails.
as the above member said. Don’t to back to those fools.
Yeah the hose was split at the fitting and loose, no way going back to them

Good catch on the hose.

This is the reason dealers lose business. They could easily have built some good will out of that incident but instead they've taught you that they just couldn't care less. So they got $125 out of you but now they've missed out on potentially thousands of dollars over the next few years in repeat business. I just don't get the poor attitude to customer service.

I'm equally as frustrated by the removal by PSA of the free services on Peugeot Service Box. If anyone has a solution to this problem I'd be keen to hear it.

Cheers

Justin

I'm equally as frustrated by the removal by PSA of the free services on Peugeot Service Box. If anyone has a solution to this problem I'd be keen to hear it.

Cheers

Justin

French Car Forum (UK) has a subscription to Service Box, and one or two members look up part nos. for people. They ask for a £10 donation, specifically for this service (the forum itself is still free).

Obviously you'd need to use their service more than once to get your money's worth, but that shouldn't be too hard!

French Car Forum (UK) has a subscription to Service Box, and one or two members look up part nos. for people. They ask for a £10 donation, specifically for this service (the forum itself is still free).

Obviously you'd need to use their service more than once to get your money's worth, but that shouldn't be too hard!

Thanks for the tip. I guess that's an option. I've taken to calling the spares section of stealers and taking up their time, but even by calling different stealers to share the load I'm sure they'll get sick of the 'tyre kickers' pretty quickly.

AUD$18 is a big hit when you're looking at infrequent usage.

Cheers

Justin

Well being an ex dealer tech I have access still. So if anyone needs any info or manuals or parts looked up let me know. Tech bulletins also.

peugeot dealers cover many common faults long after warranty expires under good will. Includes ep6 turbo engine high pressure pumps n chains n turbos n thermostats with looms and many more things. Even steering rack motors and so on. As long as u have good history of service even non dealer history.

biggest problem Peugeot are facing now is with the new 1.2 petrol turbo eb engines with Timing belt in oil design. Premature failure and or crumbling of rubber timing belt destroying the engine anywhere from 30”000km. An oil pump replacement which is a full engine out then gearbox removal then sump and upper sump removal just to replace blocked oil pump. To then find once done the car will come back with ongoing blockages from remainder of tiny particles so small u can’t see that block the vvt solenoids and dephasers causing never ending issues. To then after all this get approval of complete engine replacement.

unfortunately the bullet proof diesels are no longer avail in the cars they sell only a few commercials. And the 1.6 turbo petrol only really avail in the 508 sedan. With 308 getting rid of the good 2.0 blue hdi motor and all having the 3 cylinder I just spoke about.

Attachments

• 1C73468A-1DFD-4143-BCAD-B4F27E10C283.jpeg
    1C73468A-1DFD-4143-BCAD-B4F27E10C283.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 5349E84E-5567-4B1A-8DAD-A74543719B28.jpeg
    5349E84E-5567-4B1A-8DAD-A74543719B28.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 162
Interesting - prior to buying our 2015 1.6 turbo petrol I had briefly contemplated the 1.2, but never really went any further as a good deal came up on the 1.6

Yes I realise this thread is getting hijacked a bit but it is an Aussiefrogs tradition after all..... :)

The thing is that we're all told not to get oil on rubber belts, so what made the engineers run the timing belt through the oil in the 1.2 ? Was it only noise considerations ? What's the long term fix ? Change the belt every 20K km's ?

Cheers

Justin

Yes that is very interesting, as I thought the 1.2 had no issues and was surprised that Peugeot stopped offering the diesels as well. I have the 1.6 and think it is the pick of the bunch, would not want to give up adaptive cruise and find that it offers plenty of power too. They only offered this engine for 2 years for some reason. Car is 5 years old and no issues, nor have I read any issues with this engine for the T9, so fingers crossed with following the maintenance schedule it will serve me well. I don't find the 308 attractive in its current form with only the 1.2l engine to choose from, in addition to the changes made around the features and materials. Why on earth they dropped the GT models I don't know. They were a pretty good deal in December 2019 around 30-33k drive away for demo and new but then prices crept up, for that price it was a shame they didn't come with the panoramic roof either. But still, they were a lot more attractive than the new Allure (with some serious cost cutting going on) and GT-Line. Can only hope the new generation is not too far off.