Sand casting unobtainium parts at home.

Looking plausible so far and worth pursuing a little further methink.

b.jpg bbb.jpg bbbb.jpg

No die grinder but a small Dremel was used to seat the bullet shaped object, a coupla allen screws and polishing round 2. Tomoz I will make a securing rim for the lens. On a roll here.

I reckon I will get all those marks out and won't need chrome plating.

c.jpg cc.jpg ccc.jpg cccc.jpg

Nothing surprises me anymore! Well done mate.

121081d1590736164-totally-random-thread-bbbb.jpg

Alrighty, I have deduced that the small marks are indeed gas holes which I can remedy next time by degassing with Bi-carb in the molten metal, but I am thrilled with the first attempt at home sand casting. Stay tuned for something more ambitious next time.

ag.jpg af.jpg

Is the bullet shaped object a specific car part, or is the final product ornamental?

59 Floride, am I warm?

Bang on Arto it's a light

Ando, may I call you Ando? Of course it is ornamental because it doesn't have a bulb holder. That could change in time but ATM it's ornamental and my first attempt at sand casting.

Why, yes, please feel free!
That is a great first attempt.

I can never get aluminium to polish like that. What are the tricks?

Grasshopper Rob, I just use a 9"calico wheel from Bunnings and some green rouge also from Bunnings.

I wonder if I may be audacious enough to attempt a sand cast version of this with a hollow centre (to reduce weight) and a mirror finish. Time will tell I suppose..:whistle::whistle:

IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1760.JPG

I can feel audacity radiating strongly from the north.

Today, it's just light fittings, tomorrow, it's an engine block!

Last week I had my smelting furnace running at full revs i.e. gas full-on and compressed air full-on and achieved a temperature of 1047C in the firebox so there are about 953 reasons why I won't be doing any cast steel engine blocks any time soon. :disappr:

Last week I had my smelting furnace running at full revs i.e. gas full-on and compressed air full-on and achieved a temperature of 1047C in the firebox so there are about 953 reasons why I won't be doing any cast steel engine blocks any time soon. :disappr:

That's fair enough, so we should expect them some time down the track then.:D

Grasshopper Rob, I just use a 9"calico wheel from Bunnings and some green rouge also from Bunnings.

I wonder if I may be audacious enough to attempt a sand cast version of this with a hollow centre (to reduce weight) and a mirror finish. Time will tell I suppose..:whistle::whistle:

121214d1591004939-totally-random-thread-img_1758.jpg

121215d1591004991-totally-random-thread-img_1760.jpg
View attachment 121214 View attachment 121215

If you were to make it out of unobtanium it would probably not need a hollow centre as the weight would be minimal and the product certainly corrosion resistant. You would also only have to find another 621 degrees C to melt the unobtanium........