Renault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer

I was once told that the R1063 cars (the sporting 4cv model built in small numbers in the early 1950s) had Juvaquatre brakes, now I come to think about it, and he'd fitted them to his 4cv. The man who told me, in Paris, would know, suggesting post war Juvas might have had hydraulic brakes. I'll chase it up out of interest.

Last edited:
As an aside my late Father demolished a concrete bus shelter in Heidelberg in the '50's with a cable braked Austin device.
A few paint scrapes and 'hammerable' dents, "Binned the Undies as I wouldn't put the Landlady through 'that' trauma!"
Dad said that every Saturday was spent adjusting brake cables, fixing "another Bloody product of British engineering excellence" and drinking long necks. It was a simpler time.
:cheers: Brendan.

The bolts used in the rear parts of the body e.g. door hinges etc. might be imperial if that part was made in Australia. Might be a way of telling where the body was built.

There's another of these kicking around the country somewhere, Tassie I think.

74746-renault-juvaquatre-dauphinoise-1958-oh-no-renojuvaquatre_1934_2972.jpg

I'm reliably informed that the red Juva has NT plates and has been on the Bay to Birdwood twice in recent years. Here's an opportunity for a reunion!! Two Juvaquatra convertibles in one place would be a very rare event....

Sorry for the lack of communication, but unfortunately we have had family members and myself unwell for awhile. The plan is to get back into it very soon.

Came across this paperwork for the car just today. It adds a bit more info to the story. (Name and address digitally covered, due to my wife’s paranoia :)

IMG_1550282310.711569.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Good you are better - there are a few out here watching with anticipation I'm sure...

Just got back from a long weekend away and had a quick read of this thread and it reminded me of a 1939? Renault I owned for a brief time in the early 1980's. My father restored the side valve engine for an aquaintance when he lived in Benalla and somehow I ended up owning it a few years later. I remember it well as the cable brakes required a lot of defensive driving. After one trip driving it to Melbourne I was very glad I lived in Bendigo and never ventured out of town with it again.
I have attached 2 photos and it is quite different in appearance but Dad said it was a 1939 model with a body built in Melbourne before the war but then sat and was not registered until after the war. Dad would have known all the history but he's long gone so can't ask him.
No idea if the car is still around as I sold it in Bendigo in about 1983 or 84 and can't remember who to.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Does anyone know how this one relates to the one in the thread and is it still around?
This car is surprising, nice and most probably unique with this body.
As the club for prewar Renaults in France, we would be delighted to get more information about it, and/or get in touch with it (and its current keeper).
Do you think there would be a way for doing so ?
Any hint here will be greatly appreciated :)

All the best to you frog lovers down under. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !:cheers:

1940 to 1947 Renault registrations in Australia were 186 vehicles. In 1939 73 French vehicles had been sold. I don't have the breakdown, most would have been Renaults although there was a Citroen shipment that year.

Last edited:
1940 to 1947 Renault registrations in Australia were 186 vehicles. In 1939 73 French vehicles had been sold. I don't have the breakdown, most would have been Renaults although there was a Citroen shipment that year.

That's interesting Russell and thanks for the information. Do you happen to have post-1947 data?

Yes but it's buried in my chaotic files. Will look it up. Pound Motors were offering 12hp's in Melbourne in 1939. Don't know the last Renault shipment but a consignment of Peugeot motor bikes arrived June 1940 and that was it for trade with France. Unusually the Australian pre-war used car guides list a full range of Renaults during the 1930's although I doubt very few were imported while the punitive Ottawa tariffs were in place 1932-38.

Last edited:
This car is surprising, nice and most probably unique with this body.
As the club for prewar Renaults in France, we would be delighted to get more information about it, and/or get in touch with it (and its current keeper).
Do you think there would be a way for doing so ?
Any hint here will be greatly appreciated :)

All the best to you frog lovers down under. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !:cheers:

Welcome to our Forum and best wishes to you. While we have some Renault clubs in Australia. The Renault Car Club of Australia is quite old, starting in 1951 I think (and someone will correct me if I am wrong). I think the pre-war cars would all (or mostly) belong to local vintage car clubs and veteran car clubs that cater for all marques. I doubt that many of those owners come to this forum very often - although M. "59 Floride" is interested (not yet an owner). I will ask around and see whether I find anything from people I know with older Renaults.

We see quite a few pre-1930 cars with "alligator" bonnets, as they were imported from about 1900-1903 but personally I have never seen a car from the 1930-1939 period. They must be somewhere but they are uncommon!

Regards

Yes but it's buried in my chaotic files. Will look it up. Pound Motors were offering 12hp's in Melbourne in 1939. Don't know the last Renault shipment but a consignment of Peugeot motor bikes arrived June 1940 and that was it for trade with France. Unusually the Australian pre-war used car guides list a full range of Renaults during the 1930's although I doubt very few were imported while the punitive Ottawa tariffs were in place 1932-38.

So the Ottawa tariffs answer a long-standing question I'd say. Thanks.

There was a maroon shown on a local French car site on Facebook earlier this year, same model. A few weeks before that someone had posted a photo of the traffic out front of Parliament House in Adelaide approx. 1946 and there was one featured motoring down North Terrace...I commented that it looked like a cross between a Juvaquatre and an Anglia tourer. Prior to that I'd never heard of this model...who says you're too old to learn new stuff!?

This what I was able to find, about the BFD1.
http://www.site.jrhp.fr/renaulteight/index.htm#english

“The 1938 Renault Eight belongs to the BFD1 Limited 2 doors range. An exclusive range for the British market with its right-hand drive and cable breaks, it is an exact copy of the French AEB2 coach.
1253 models were produced from September 1938 until May 1939. 1205 belonging to the high luxury range with only 48 belonging to the normal luxury range.

Apart from the location of the steering wheel, the differences between the British model and the AEB2 coach are :

• Ligths on the front fins
• No monogram on the front bumper
• Bi-color shade of the motor
• Firestone pneumatics
• A « Renault 8 » monogram on the radiator grille.
• Simili seats.
• The position of the battery.
• A Different exhaust pipe due to the position of the steering column.
• The handle of the hood has an inscription.”

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

And it's sad that the "brakes" are described as breaks!

My sources when I researched Peugeots in Australia during the early years were of course the newspaper articles accessible through Trove but most valuable were little motor trade booklets published on a quarterly basis that had such jewels as SMMT sales figures and trade valuations. But it's an area without a lot of info. I'd be looking at Pound Motors activities and key players for a lead.
From 1950 Keith Winser published a Used Car Guide 1928 -1950. He lists four Renaults for 1940, 8.3hp Nine, 11 hp Twelve, 6 cyl 26.8 hp, 4 cyl 17.9 hp. The fault with the info on Renaults before the war is that they listed a large range but that didn't mean any were actually imported.

My sources when I researched Peugeots in Australia during the early years were of course the newspaper articles accessible through Trove but most valuable were little motor trade booklets published on a quarterly basis that had such jewels as SMMT sales figures and trade valuations. But it's an area without a lot of info. I'd be looking at Pound Motors activities and key players for a lead.
From 1950 Keith Winser published a Used Car Guide 1928 -1950. He lists four Renaults for 1940, 8.3hp Nine, 11 hp Twelve, 6 cyl 26.8 hp, 4 cyl 17.9 hp. The fault with the info on Renaults before the war is that they listed a large range but that didn't mean any were actually imported.

The Pound family were very much involved with motor vehicles over a long period. I'm delighted to say that I know one of the family, but sadly for us he was not involved in car sales, but in manufacturing for GMH! I believe Pound Motors sponsored Renaults in the first Redex trials.