Peugeot 307 - fuel smell in the cabin

405STi

Fellow Frogger
Hello froggers

I have a baffling problem with my unleaded 2005 Peugeot 307. i am getting fuel smells on occasion inside the cabin.

This seems to occur when:
- i am driving along and come to an abrupt stop
- seems to be worse when going downhill
- seems to be worse when the car is warm having driven around for a while

So when i come to a stop i get a good whiff, that is hard to stand and i have to open the windows. When i drive off and am cruising along it goes away. It doesnt happen all the time and im not sure what triggers it.

I have:
- changed the fuel charcoal canister
- changed air con filter
- checked around the fuel pump - it is dry

Does anyone have any ideas what i can do/check/change/fix. its been ongoing issue for over a year and noone can seem to track the problem

Thanks in advance
Evan

Have you lifted the back seat to expose where the fuel sender goes to see if that plate is leaking? Have you checked the filler hose at both ends and along it's length to make sure it isn't cracked?
Have you checked that the filler cap is not leaking? Have you checked that the overflow pipe from the top of the filler neck is not blocked?
Otherwise I wouldn't have a clue.

I'm not sure if these are the same as 206's in a lot of respects, but I think they are similar. 206's leak around the ring on top of the tank and also there's a little plastic piece the fuel pipe attaches to that can get a pinhole in it that either needs youto replace the integrated sender/pump OR some people plastic weld it with a soldering iron.

The other source has something to do with the rubber pipes going up to the filler neck, but I'm not sure of the details.

1.6 or 2.0 have you got a code reader that shows fuel trims

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

although you've replaced it already, it has all the symptoms of a faulty purge (charcoal) canister, valve or hose.
Did you use a new canister?

Good thing with 307s valve comes with the canister

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

thanks for the responses everyone.

- it is a 2.0 model - and i have no code reader.

- i have had the purge canister replaced

The current mechanic has now given up (a few have not had luck finding the issue now, my wallet isn't really happy either) and i dont really have the expertise to do much of this on my own. Can anyone recommend someone in the Sydney area (i dont mind to travel a few hours if they can look on the day) who could look at some of Stuey's recommendations.

Thanks again

Last edited:
You don’t need to travel if you could get somebody to check the long and short term fuel trims they should be as close to zero as possible since you have replaced the canister that includes the purge valve and I assume that you’ve checked the top of the pump through the back seat hole I thinking you have some sort of fuel delivery or vacuum inconsistencies would love to have a look but Newcastle is to far any basic obd code reader will give you fuel trims if they are not close to zero bring the revs up and see if they correct.
The 307 fuel tank and pipe work is all one piece.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

The mechanic had it hooked up to the computer, im sure he would of check the trims.

Mechanic said he checked the whole fuel line and nothing.

I also checked the top of the pump under the back seat, no signs of fuel or smell.

I feel the smell is coming from the engine bay through the AC. Ill do some more tests on the weekend to see if i have all the air and fan off whether it is as evident.

I might need to take you up on that offer dmccurtayne and come up to Newcastle one weekend as im at a loss here

Got a vin number

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Did you check the seal on the filler cap? I had a similar problem with a Volvo - the seal looked OK but was not seating correctly. Mark the seal with radial crayon lines or something similar which will rub off where the cap seals against the neck. This will show if and where the seal is not contacting. The smell when accelerating or stopping could be caused by the fuel sloshing in the tank and up the filler neck.

Thanks for the help guys - ive been busy of late but will check the cap on the weekend and ill get the VIN.

Of note - i went for a lengthy drive on Sunday and kept the AC on recirculate the whole time and didnt smell a thing. Right at the end of the journey i took it off recirculate and got a whiff.. Surely that means its originating under the bonnet somewhere near the AC intake?

another update - i took it to another mechanic who also didnt find an issue.

The fuel line seems fine, the fuel canister is new, the fuel cap seems fine. For me the smell seems to come from near the fuel canister - up under the drivers wheel

Is there anything next to that which may be a source?

My last stop is Peugeot Service Centre who said they charge $190/hr for diagnostics so im a little scared to go down that route. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

The car VIN is VF33CRFJC84339126

thanks
Evan

I'd re-check all the pipes going to the canister.

The other thing; how is the rubber seal at the back of the bonnet? I know you want to stop the source, but also you may be able to stop the smell getting to the cabin air intake.

OK, an update and a new problem. The fuel smell is definitely coming from the charcoal canister. Seems to be from the larger vent that sucks air in if the purge valve opened (read below). Upon pulling out the canister, and a mix of trial and error i can confirm the following.

Tube from the fuel tank readily flows into the canister. I can also blow on this tube and hear the fuel tank seem to bubble.
The tube to the engine, is under vacuum (when pulled off the canister) and sucks quite strong.

The problem is when the car is on or off, the purge valve seems to be stuck on close, no air, no suction will come out of of the line that goes to the manifold.

Fuel vapour from the tank is effectively going into the charcoal canister, and as the purge valve is always shut and no vaccum is pulling it into the manifold, the fuel vapor is then just coming out the charcoal canister vent hole and sucked into my AC intake.

This is the second charcoal canister in the car. can two be broken? or is the car computer not giving the right signal to the solenoid for it to open.

I also note the trip computer which shows fuel economy etc is currently not working. Is tank fuel pressure measured and sent anywhere? which may trigger the purge valve solenoid?

thanks in advance!

thanks Stuey.

So an interesting update!

The Charcoal Canister is working when the car gets warm! Up around 90 degrees C on the temperature gauge. When the car gets that hot and i feel the little vent on the bottom of the canister there is suction. The only reason i found out is i left the car idling on a really hot day and finally it ticked up to about 90 degrees.

Upon driving and more tests the car doesn't get hot! well not to 90 degrees. Usually my car doesn't get above about 80 or so, so what is the reason. I spoke with a Peugeot mechanic and he said the cars should run between 85 to 100.

If my car isnt usually getting this hot, the ECU is not telling the charcoal canister to open the purge valve which directs the fuel vapour to the manifold. So the excess vapour just end up coming out the vent at bottom of canister (where air sucks in when purging).

So my next step - replace the thermostat! I just need to find the right one

cheers

I would now definitely go back to Mr Curtayne's suggestion to check the fuel trim and all things with a proper diagnostic tool. Obviously the places you've tried haven't got a clue so you'll need to find someone who has. I don't know about Sydney these days but there has to be a good place somewhere.

But bottom line, don't just keep guessing in the dark, replacing this or that without some proper guidance.