403 Airconditioning

Timmy

Fellow Frogger
Has anybody fitted modern aircon to their 403? What system did you buy and what was the costs? Also, did you have to upgrade your radiator?
Thanks in advance
Tim

Hi Tim, it will be a totally custom job for you. I did a custom install on my 504 a couple of years ago (pics are on the forum), but i had the luxury of being able to mount the compressor using a 505 sump. I used parts from speedy air spares. You will need to fab up a compressor mount, find room for a condenser and somehow fit an underdash unit.

I did not upgrade the 504 radiator. I don't see why you will need to as long as it is good condition.

I'm sure it's possible but it's not something anyone ever thought about. I drove a 403 in heavy traffic in the city and it coped with it well and never overheated but that was long ago. We didn't have the congestion of today, of endless slow moving traffic jams I see on TV. Technically it's possible but the cooling system would have to be in great condition. Air conditioning was an option on my 504 but as the car cost $4200 new the price tag of over $800 seemed high.

Don"t forget the idle compensator valve for the carburetor, you would not want the engine going off when the compressor kicks in on idle.

from memory John Marriot (sadly not with us now) had a fairly ordinary 403 years ago with air con in Melb as an antiques delivery vehicle ,( locals could correct me on this if incorrect)

Yes, John did have an air conditioned 403. I don't know who owns it now but it is a concourse winning black 403 sedan. I know nothing about the air con installation. It is usually seen at the All french Car day every year in Melbourne.

He says tongue in cheek, "Isn't that what the quarter vent windows are for?"

thanks Peter
I was thinking of an earlier grey JM 403( not the late douvrin one )

Okay. The earlier grey 403 is the Douvrin one and was John's daily driver. It may well have air con as well. The black 403 has a 403 motor and air con.

Last edited:
Okay. The earlier grey 403 is the Douvrin one and was John's daily driver. It may well have air con as well. The black 403 has a 403 motor and air con.

John had another grey 403 for many years. In pretty poor condition, most unlike John's other cars.

Yes, John did have an air conditioned 403. I don't know who owns it now but it is a concourse winning black 403 sedan. I know nothing about the air con installation. It is usually seen at the All french Car day every year in Melbourne.

Peter, the black 403 resides in Ballarat. I wasn't aware of the air conditioning in this car, so contacted the owner. His comment was that the 403 has come with a four point factory appointed air conditioning, aka the four windows! So no air conditioning in this vehicle. If John Marriott had air conditioning in one of his 403s, it must have been one of the grey ones.

Really? I was sure the black one had AC. Must be that knock on my head a few years ago!

No AC, and here's an interior shot! A magnificent car.

IMG_0920.JPG

For those who haven't seen the car, another pic.

IMG_0919.JPG

And another. I have another of the open boot but you're probably bored by now.

IMG_0918.JPG

Attachments

• pipes.gif
    pipes.gif
    83.7 KB · Views: 298
If I remember correctly (but remember the knock on the head issue) that 403 does not have drum brakes on the front. They were converted to discs, so it probably is the brake booster.