Peugeot 2008 - 1.2Lt - Ownership Feedback

Whippet

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi. I am contemplating purchasing a Peugeot 2008. I am interested in feedback from owners on the pros and cons.

I took one for a test drive recently - my observations:
  • Great engine/auto combination. Good torque at low RPM for in traffic driving. A little lacking in kw out on the highway for overtaking.
  • Air Conditioning seemed to by undersized. The day was 27-30C and the AC seemed to be working hard to get the heat extracted. Also lacking higher level discharge vents from middle of dash didn't provide cool air into the top of the cabin.
  • The demo car had a sunroof fitted, where the glass is fixed, but there is a white curtain that slides rearward. I felt that this allowed more heat to enter the cabin, and may have affected the AC performance. I would prefer to not have the sunroof option fitted.
  • Steering, handling and responsiveness all seemed OK.
  • Cabin was noisier than I thought it might be, particularly above 80 km/h.
  • We will rarely use the rear seats, so the fact that they are compact may not be important.
  • Both of could adjust the steering wheel and the I-cabin with the steering wheel set lower than the instrument display was OK.
  • There seem to be very few of these on the road, with struggling sales. Why are they selling?
  • The other vehicle I drove was a Mazda CX-3. I preferred the Peugeot 2008.
  • The rear wagon style is versatile allowing rear seats to laydown for longer loads etc.
  • What are they like for towing a light trailer?

I have the 1.6 4yr old. Agree with your points. Will get the 1.2 someday soon as happy with the car and its handling and ease of driving. Very comfortable and yes, the a/c only just does the job.. fan speed 4. Been very relible over 70 k travelled.

Hi - I signed contracts yesterday to purchase an ex demo 2008, 1.2Lt turbo triple, 6 speed Asin Auto. I specifically selected one sans sunroof. The air conditioning did seem to be more effective with the extra heat load input removed.

A couple of other things the model doesn't have are roof mounted grab handles and also there are no keyless entry or push button starting options.

I would have liked a tow bar for a small 6'x4' trailer, but at $1,700 this is more than I was prepared to pay for this accessory.

I haven't taken delivery as yet, so will report back later on about my thoughts as an owner. Although I will not drive it much as it is for Mrs Whippet.

Sadly the 307 2Lt HDi Estate will be traded in. This was a great vehicle, but too many fiddly things go wrong when I am not at home to resolve them. The timing belt needs to be done soon, so not prepared to spend $1.3k on this, as it half the value of the vehicle.

Have one too. Many agreements. I'll comment on where we differ.

No problems with highway grunt. Critical overtaking on winding country roads, maybe, but only compared to a very much larger vehicle. Very happy with how mine goes.
I leave the aircon on "Auto" in all temperatures where it appears to do an excellent job. Always put the setting on "recycle" That helps, perhaps?

EDIT I realise now on looking at this post after a year or more that I don't actually use the recycle setting.....Seniors moment....sorry...... apologies to all responses who commented on this statement.

I find cabin noise fine. The allweather tyres appear to be the main culprit, so depends on the road surface. I sit on 110 Km on freeways and sound is very muted - especially the engine. I may replace the all-weather with normal tyres just as an experiment to see how the noise alters. I seems to me that the "grip control" settings may not be affected significantly except for the Snow or Mud options. Don't expect I'll ever use them seriously anyway.
I would absolutely not have the sunroof. My prejudice, but wouldn't use one and expect it may affect interior cooling or lack of.
Got a towbar installed after purchase and now pull a light trailer on occasions. Absolutely no problem with performance or feel. An expensive investment to get a tow-bar, but I expect it's much the same for all new cars.
I always use the speed-limiter/cruise control on my trips. Speed-limiter an absolute comfort in heavy traffic, and the cruise control on country roads. The two of them together make a long trip absolutely relaxing. Save your speed settings into the car's memory and then it can be moved from one to the next very efficiently
A highly underrated car. Peugeot did it a severe injustice by bringing it out originally with the 4 speed auto and the 1.6 engine.I've done 20K in my 1.2 turbo
Absolutely delighted with its performance and comfort. Like you, I find the 1.2 turbo a delightful piece of engineering.

Last edited:
Have one too. Many agreements. I'll comment on where we differ.
I leave the aircon on "Auto" in all temperatures where it appears to do an excellent job. Always put the setting on "recycle" That helps, perhaps?
Absolutely delighted with its performance and comfort. Like you, I find the 1.2 turbo a delightful piece of engineering.

If you find yourself (&/or passengers) getting sleepy, switch to fresh air. Perhaps in your model some fresh air is injected, but my wife and I find "Recycle" too dangerous to use (apart from short bursts to avoid filling the cabin with noxious odours), as we both get sleepy.

Cheers

Alec

No smog filled tunnels in New England or being stuck behind smoking traffic. You'd use recycle around Sydney.

I am guessing you are talking about the double sealed C5.

Another thought

Aircon may struggle at first in the situation of a test drive, but I have no complaints with it in my car when 35 deg or so over a long trip.

I’ve driven from Canberra to Melb using recycle all the time. No problems. I suspect the design lets in some external air to avoid the problem you allude to.

It takes a few minutesto get the temperature down if it’s been sitting in the sun for a few hours, but the “auto” setting does its best by blasting high fan speed for a few minutes. I open the window slightly with recycle”off” then as the fan speed reduces automatically and the interior cools down, I switch to “recycle”. (And close the window)!

I find cabin noise fine. The allweather tyres appear to be the main culprit, so depends on the road surface. I sit on 110 Km on freeways and sound is very muted - especially the engine. I may replace the all-weather with normal tyres just as an experiment to see how the noise alters. I seems to me that the "grip control" settings may not be affected significantly except for the Snow or Mud options. Don't expect I'll ever use them seriously anyway.

Thanks for your feedback BarryC and dhaw. I read/viewed the available reviews on the 2008 and at least one commented on replacing the all weather/conditions tyres with a more common passenger vehicle highway tread tyre to reduce the road noise. This will have to wait until the original 205-50-17 tyres require replacement.

Got a towbar installed after purchase and now pull a light trailer on occasions. Absolutely no problem with performance or feel. An expensive investment to get a tow-bar, but I expect it's much the same for all new cars.

May I ask if you paid circa $1,700 to supply and fit a towbar and plug? I wonder if I can source a kit from Europe?

I always use the speed-limiter/cruise control on my trips. Speed-limiter an absolute comfort in heavy traffic, and the cruise control on country roads. The two of them together make a long trip absolutely relaxing. Save your speed settings into the car's memory and then it can be moved from one to the next very efficiently
A highly underrated car. Peugeot did it a severe injustice by bringing it out originally with the 4 speed auto and the 1.6 engine. I've done 20K in my 1.2 turbo

I agree, and part of the reason for finally selecting the 2008, was the commonality of controls/switches etc coming from the 307. Mrs Whippet is not the best at using technology. Driving to Melbourne she doesn't use cruise control, I think she is mad; but I'm sure she thinks the same of me!

I looked at the 2008 a couple of years ago, but was put off mostly by the 4 speed auto, and slightly by the old engines. As most of the reviewers suggest, Peugeot scored an own goal by using the old eng/auto combinations. All of the reviews of the 2008 with the updated 1.2Lt turbo triple/6 Speed auto are unanimous in their praise for the current engine selection. Also that the 2008 is now a much better package overall, but this doesn't seem to have translated into sales for Peugeot Australia.

PS: The 1.2Lt turbo triple has won the international engine of the year award in the 1.0Lt to 1.4Lt class for the last four years in a row.

I also looked at the Renault Captur, but this was just slightly too small. I could have looked at a Honda Jazz, but didn't get around to it. Also the Mazda CX-3, but I felt that the 2008 drove better and handled better at speed, and had a bit more space and versatility in the rear. In a few years time, I might be sharing the vehicle, so I could see myself driving the 2008 more so than the other vehicle options I looked at.

Well I have done my homework, test drives and am happy with my final selection. Lets see how this pans out in several months time.

Cost me 1495 to get a Peugeot dealer to supply and fit the tow bar including a car to trailer adapter plug. . I bit the bullet and the hurt has now disappeared .....

I never thought I’d find myself using the phrase “delight to drive” in what is basically just a small car rather than something sporty, but that’s how it appeals ....

Last edited:
Don’t forget to fit a tow bar to a Australian vehicle it needs to comply with au standard

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

A warning: Modern Pugs are fitted with anti-theft wheel bolts designed by Satan personally. They are designed to shear off and leave the wheel irremovable. Each has a unique pattern and socket, so you can't borrow someone else's when the inevitable happens.

Get a dealer to supply four standard bolts in lieu and fit them. If you don't have the car yet, get them fitted before delivery. Does anyone think that Peugeot wheels are easily fenced?

Nothing causes more tears than those bolts.

Get a dealer to supply four standard bolts in lieu and fit them. If you don't have the car yet, get them fitted before delivery. Does anyone think that Peugeot wheels are easily fenced?

Nothing causes more tears than those bolts.
Someone on eBay is trying to flog used ones for $11.99 each. Apparently he’s sold 45 of them already!

Most wreckers will sell them for penny’s on the dollar

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Last edited:
No smog filled tunnels in New England or being stuck behind smoking traffic. You'd use recycle around Sydney.

I am guessing you are talking about the double sealed C5.

What?? I should be so lucky! No, it's obviously something we only notice on long trips, when there's time for CO2 to build up &/or O2 levels to drop, but it's affected us in a variety of cars - eg. our 406, L-series Subaru, in-laws' Mazda 626 etc.

Investigated the 406 after both of us were fighting sleep for large parts of a 7 hour trip soon after we bought it (14-year old) - found the main air intake flap stuck in the fully closed position. It's now locked fully open - we cope fine without recycle, as the 406 air con is very cold :).

Cheers

Alec

Totally agree with you about the recycle setting Armadillo. Also, I can't see any design letting in a bit of fresh air - isn't the setting designed not to? After all, that's what it's about. It's no good letting in a bit of bushfire smoke. Maybe they do, but that would be annoying when you need it sealed.

Mind you, it would bleed off fart smells I guess.

Hi. Mrs Whippet has become frustrated that the in dash HMI seems to become blank/black and then comes back on again. When that occurs her iPhone looses Bluetooth connection. I have searched for firmware/software updates but cant locate any.

Has any other owner experienced similar problems?

Hi. I need to get a service arranged for our 2008 1.2Lt. It has done 26,000km. There is no maintenance schedule in any of the vehicle documents. In the attached, one is suggested to navigate to www.peugeot.com.au, but all you find there are links to dealers or online booking. All I am seeking is a recommended maintenance schedule for fluids, filters and other consumables eg: spark plugs, all three of them. From what I can glean it seems that the 2008 has a 15,000km distance or 12 month interval. Do any owners have more information that they can share?

Attachments

• Peugeot 3008 Service record.pdf
    392.2 KB · Views: 239
The Peugeot Australia website is pretty poor to navigate, but if you go to the Service Price Promise page and click on 2008, you will get somewhere eventually.

Service Price Promise

Once there, click on "Get the price" and you can then choose which service is due, which will give you a list of items.

Yes, most cars in the range currently have a 12mth/15,000km interval.