ADR and state vehicle standards

jo proffi

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
This is an attempt to link the relevant departments governing design standards and the limits of modifications, both owner certified and engineer scrutinised.

ADR (Australian design rules) are obviously a national standard pertaining to lots of things, but each of our states has its own dept which has a secondary set of rules which is specific to each state.
Maybe those from other states to NSW can link the relevent motor traffic dept websites.

National.
Third Edition Australian Design Rules.
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx

Read the page and follow the links to find the applicable ADR.

NSW vehicle standards information sheets.
Pertaining to owner certified mods, replacement wheels, window tint, noise, ground clearance and all those area's that may become grey when we start messing around with what the factory set.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html

Jo

Last edited:
Our 'other' car is a Skoda Yeti 4x4 TDI (hmmm)
It can't access the managed ski fields without modification, as in different wheel/tyre combination, due to the fact that as standard the specified 'diamond' pattern chains foul the struts.
The Department of Infrastructure is not interested in my complaint to them as perhaps requiring Skoda Australia to make this seeming anomaly clear to a prospective buyer in any form.
I suspect others may be effected.
I wonder how many owners would know of this or have been carrying their chains without knowing they were useless?.
My Hotham haven't responded.

What does the dealer say? I would think that would be the starting point rather than snow resort management. Given that it is a European car, I would imagine there would be factory accessory snow chains to suit the vehicle. Also given the variety of snow chains available, it should also be the responsibility of the owner, if they are heading to the snow, to make sure the chains they are carrying suit the vehicle they are going to be using. And given the nature of manufacturers nowadays, a generic set are unlikely to fit, you have to buy their "genuine" accessory.

What does the dealer say? I would think that would be the starting point rather than snow resort management. Given that it is a European car, I would imagine there would be factory accessory snow chains to suit the vehicle. Also given the variety of snow chains available, it should also be the responsibility of the owner, if they are heading to the snow, to make sure the chains they are carrying suit the vehicle they are going to be using. And given the nature of manufacturers nowadays, a generic set are unlikely to fit, you have to buy their "genuine" accessory.

I think you will find that they are into proper winter tyres as opposed to chains. Having driven of both, winter tyres are the way to go if you have proper winters:-

"(4) - Germany introduced regulations in 2010 requiring all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintry. Winter tyres (or 'all season' tyres) should bear the mark M+S* or the snowflake symbol on the side wall."

Rules abroad for chains and winter tyres | AA

I think you will find that they are into proper winter tyres as opposed to chains. Having driven of both, winter tyres are the way to go if you have proper winters:-

"(4) - Germany introduced regulations in 2010 requiring all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintry. Winter tyres (or 'all season' tyres) should bear the mark M+S* or the snowflake symbol on the side wall."

That was another thought as well, given that some all-season European drivers appear to have two sets of wheels and tyres to cover all seasons. But I figured there may also be a chain set available for occasional travellers in other areas. Some handbooks may also provide information, I've also seen some say that chains are not suitable for fitting to certain model rims in manufacturer ranges.

The ski field management state clearly that you must carry ONLY 'diamond' pattern chains AND fit, when instructed, in the bays provided.
NO other tyre, alone, is accepted as an alternative to chains.
No European car dealer is going to tell you this prior to sale......when you've bought it you then find out in the owners manual.
The FWD Yeti has the same wheel/tyre combo also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G'day,
I had a look for horns, but found nothing. Can any one find a standard, or can we fit anything, for example.
..STEBEL® ITALIA - Trombe Horns

or

STEBEL® ITALIA - Trombe Horns

I'm not sure what the book says, but there might have been a minimum db output for horns fitted to Oz manufactured vehicles. My take is the louder the better as long as you are not blowing them outside the girlfriends house at 3:00am when you are feeling horny...........

Which takes us back to the original "Town and Country" horns fitted to vehicles like the R8's and early R10's..........

G'day,
I had a look for horns, but found nothing. Can any one find a standard, or can we fit anything, for example.
..STEBEL® ITALIA - Trombe Horns

or

STEBEL® ITALIA - Trombe Horns

Banned as far as I know. No musical or repeater horns allowed.

42.18.1. General
No siren, repeater horn, bell, exhaust whistle or compression whistle or
other device capable of producing a sound resembling that produced by
any such siren, repeater horn, bell or whistle must be attached to a motor
vehicle other than an emergency community service vehicle.
42.18.1.1. For the purpose of this clause, a repeater horn is any device which
generates an audible sound (to be emitted) alternating between different
tones or frequencies on a regular time cycle.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...SqAEXO0bwgiVcmKnoL6c_A&bvm=bv.137132246,d.dGo

The local lunch truck has a set of horns that announces it's arrival playing a full chorus of "Dixie", and does not appear to be banned. I don't eat lunch, so I'm not involved, personally...........

And, is a Mr Whippy van using a musical or repeater horn ?

G'day,
like ours'. it is probably on private land, or. Commonwealth property.:cool:
Or, they can't be bothered.