Renault in Australia: The Useless Info File

R8 Gordini Mallala 1967e sml.jpgThanks Simon.

Out of interest, can you or someone give the colour name for this R1135 in SA in 1967. Must have been the factory colour, although the slide had faded a bit. It was a bit lighter and a slightly greyish blue.

That colour is Cannes Blue, the car is R1135/1408. That really is a neat picture, the new car being used as the makers intended.

Thanks Simon.

Here's another - same year, Collingrove.

R8 Gordini -1967 Collingrove 1.jpg

Cheers

The odo on Message #1 has been given a whiz up to 1981, and is currently exiting West Heidelberg. It’s still in stripped sport-lite mode at the moment. Thoughts are being given to beef up the chassis with a few additional Australian Works additions, without them, things would have fallen apart long before now……

Attached as a PDF is a timeline list of Renault prices from 1947 to 1980. Also included on the list are Holden prices over the same period to give a benchmark to the Renault prices.

Attachments

• Ren Price list.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 497
Nice to see this coming together Simon in one place. Makes it much easier for any casual researcher, and the opportunity to add detail, memories and photographs is invaluable. I hope you have all source documents in a safe place, as it would be a shame to lose this reference.

Regards

Ken

Renault 12GL Australian badges

On its introduction in June 1972, the Australian Renault 12GL was the most luxurious Renault 12 in the world, with its tachometer, perforated vinyl seats, protector strips and red line Dunlop radial tyres.

It also featured unique to Australia badges, based on the Renault Competition logo of the time, on the front mudguards, boot lid, timber gear knob, and steering wheel boss. However the Australian graphic designers at Whelan Industries failed to grasp the significance of the original design. The badge on the left hand side having the correct French Tricolour (bleu – blanc – rouge) logo, whilst the badge on the right hand side and on the steering wheel boss was reversed to rouge – blanc – bleu.

By 1973 when the new Vasarely designed Renault logo was introduced, the Aussie toolmakers went one step further. Reversing the new diamond shaped logo for all the new tricolour badges, whilst retaining the reversed tricolour on the right hand side.

Those 1972 Renault Australia QA inspectors obviously spent a bit longer behind the steering wheel of the old 1972 model though. For the 1973 12GL steering wheel boss tricolour was in the correct order, just the new Vasarely logo was reversed.

Attachments

• 1972 12GL guard.jpg
    1972 12GL guard.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 632
  • 1973 12GL guard.jpg
    1973 12GL guard.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 545
  • 12GL steering wheel.jpg
    12GL steering wheel.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 554
On its introduction in June 1972, the Australian Renault 12GL was the most luxurious Renault 12 in the world, with its tachometer, perforated vinyl seats, protector strips and red line Dunlop radial tyres.

It also featured unique to Australia badges, based on the Renault Competition logo of the time, on the front mudguards, boot lid, timber gear knob, and steering wheel boss. However the Australian graphic designers at Whelan Industries failed to grasp the significance of the original design. The badge on the left hand side having the correct French Tricolour (bleu – blanc – rouge) logo, whilst the badge on the right hand side and on the steering wheel boss was reversed to rouge – blanc – bleu.

By 1973 when the new Vasarely designed Renault logo was introduced, the Aussie toolmakers went one step further. Reversing the new diamond shaped logo for all the new tricolour badges, whilst retaining the reversed tricolour on the right hand side.

Those 1972 Renault Australia QA inspectors obviously spent a bit longer behind the steering wheel of the old 1972 model though. For the 1973 12GL steering wheel boss tricolour was in the correct order, just the new Vasarely logo was reversed.

Well there you go Simon, I never took much notice when I had my 1972 R12GL. I removed all my badges and side moldings(replaced with pin striping) when I resprayed the car.

I"ll second that!

Thanks for all your time and effort to produce that time-line with so much detail.

Very much appreciated!

Hi Simon, this is really useful information - thank you for posting details!

I have a '74 R12 which I purchased 12 months ago (and featured on a post in AussieFrogs by Gavclassic back in July 2001). It's in incredibly tidy, original condition but needs just a few little items to bring it back to 'as new' including restoration of the tricolour badges. I'm hoping somebody out there may know of somebody who undertakes this sort of work (or highly unlikely, but worth a try, have some original, unused badges they may be willing to part with)?

Cheers,

Corey

I have a '74 R12 which I purchased 12 months ago (and featured on a post in AussieFrogs by Gavclassic back in July 2001).

Gee, that poor 12 has had more owners over the past five years, than in its first 30 odd years! Hopefully it gets a loving long-term owner, and that the history of the car has been passed on.

As for the badges, try Caravelle Imports in Box Hill, Melbourne, Victoria. Ken did have a number of NOS badges in stock a while ago. Also worth a go would be French Connection, who also may have some new badges in stock.

Assembled by Berk's is probably not a tag line that would be currently be used.....

Attached is a pic of the Renault assembly line at Belmore from 1951.

Attachments

• Renault 1951 Ira Berk Pg 21.jpg
    Renault 1951 Ira Berk Pg 21.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 589
Assembled by Berk's is probably not a tag line that would be currently be used.....

Attached is a pic of the Renault assembly line at Belmore from 1951.

Wonderful thanks Simon. You don't have the chassis/oval plate numbers they used by any chance?

Regards

You don't have the chassis/oval plate numbers they used by any chance?

Unfortunately, no. I'm hoping they are in safe storage, somewhere, awaiting to be discovered. Once discovered, they would then be donated to an Australian Motor Industry Heritage Trust who retain, preserve, and promote the history of the Australian motor industry.......

Which in the very near future will be ALL history......

I'm glad I had the opportunity to work at International Harvester Dandenong, Renault Heidelberg and Perkins Engines!