RCA cables
  • Help

Thread: RCA cables

Default RCA cables

Any source of reasonably priced good quality RCA cables? The usual suspects around here (WA) only sell cheap crap in useless lengths (either too long or too short).

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Any source of reasonably priced good quality RCA cables? The usual suspects around here (WA) only sell cheap crap in useless lengths (either too long or too short).
    For audio you won't tell the difference. Any crap works ok.

For video use RCA-BNC adaptors and crimp on BNC connector to RG59 coax.

Make sure you accurately match the length if using VGA or Component video.

The only way to get quality RCA audio leads is to make them yourself.

The mark up on audio and video i/c leads is ridiculous.

Altronic Wholesale (not retail) are the best of a bad bunch.

Thank you Rob.

Where do I get the terminals from in case I decide to make my own?

Jaycar only seems to have el cheapo stuff.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...pg=2&sort=code

Trade is less than 50% of retail when I last purchased from Altronic wholesale.

http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=rca%20plug

Jaycar are their normal exorbitant self.

http://www.futurlec.com.au/RCA-Metal.jsp

Futurlec are fair for small quantities.

Banned

dont forget that you must have gold plated leads.
    you know you can hear the difference in the sound.

NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    dont forget that you must have gold plated leads.
    you know you can hear the difference in the sound.

NOT!
    Maybe not today, but in 5 years when the crappy posts and contact surfaces have rusted, then you'll hear the difference.
    There is real quality, and then there is bling. You probably wont find real quality connectors in retail shops. Alcatel crap is the norm.

When i kitted up my analogue studio with leads, they were all neutric (swiss made) gold connectors.
    Its such a pleasure soldering to gold, and quality XLR connectors often have a female pipe for the wire to feed into.

Try soldering up a few hundred balanced connectors and you soon appreciate the difference between high quality and crap.

Slit, what are your specific needs?

I might be able to make you some up out of my old stock.
    Let me know exact length, and if it is for permanent instal (foil shield) or automotive/ continually agitated (braided shield).

Jo

If you're after better stuff, and better range try
    Element14 (used to be called Farnell) or
    RS Components.

Both have mail order, usually overnight if in stock locally or can take up to 6-7 days if to come from USA or UK
    Both have incredible listings.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Maybe not today, but in 5 years when the crappy posts and contact surfaces have rusted, then you'll hear the difference.
    There is real quality, and then there is bling. You probably wont find real quality connectors in retail shops. Alcatel crap is the norm.

When i kitted up my analogue studio with leads, they were all neutric (swiss made) gold connectors.
    Its such a pleasure soldering to gold, and quality XLR connectors often have a female pipe for the wire to feed into.

Try soldering up a few hundred balanced connectors and you soon appreciate the difference between high quality and crap.

Slit, what are your specific needs?

I might be able to make you some up out of my old stock.
    Let me know exact length, and if it is for permanent instal (foil shield) or automotive/ continually agitated (braided shield).

Jo
    Thank you, Jo.

I am just trying to replace old cheap and nasty cables in my sound system because they have started driving me nuts. You never know which one decides to not work on any particular day for no apparent reason.

If you point me where to get some decent quality connectors, I will get some and make my own cables as Rob suggested. I know what crap quality is, the connectors Rob linked to I know very well, but looking through the boxes in the shops you soon realise they are just cheap bling unfortunately. Not sure if it makes any difference to me, but I am sick of taking decks out and screwing around with cables.

I will try to look at RS and Farnell's offerings too, I forgot about those two.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Thank you, Jo.

I am just trying to replace old cheap and nasty cables in my sound system because they have started driving me nuts. You never know which one decides to not work on any particular day for no apparent reason.

If you point me where to get some decent quality connectors, I will get some and make my own cables as Rob suggested. I know what crap quality is, the connectors Rob linked to I know very well, but looking through the boxes in the shops you soon realise they are just cheap bling unfortunately. Not sure if it makes any difference to me, but I am sick of taking decks out and screwing around with cables.

I will try to look at RS and Farnell's offerings too, I forgot about those two.
    As Jo mentioned earlier, Neutrik are premium connectors but at a premium price.

I'd go for the good quality semi professional versions and be careful with soldering and heat shrink all the internal plug connections

You probably won't be connecting and disconnecting a hundred times day nor taking your equipment to Abbey Road studios.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    As Jo mentioned earlier, Neutrik are premium connectors but at a premium price.

I'd go for the good quality semi professional versions and be careful with soldering and heat shrink all the internal plug connections

You probably won't be connecting and disconnecting a hundred times day nor taking your equipment to Abbey Road studios.
    10 years ago, the top line of pro gear fro neutric was nearly as expensive as the mid range crap from jaycar.

I found that quite a surprise.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    10 years ago, the top line of pro gear fro neutric was nearly as expensive as the mid range crap from jaycar.

I found that quite a surprise.

Jo
    Element 14 price:

NEUTRIK
    PLUG, PHONO, 'PROFI', 2PK
    More Details
    10 in stock
    79 deliver in 6 - 7 working days
    cut-off times Price
    For: Pack of 2
    1+ $37.39
    25+ $34.77
    50+ $32.22
    100+ $30.36

OK so now they are $17 odd each in 25 quantities a bargain, compared to around $1 ea for good quality semi-professional from Futurelec.

Sure you aren't getting a comission, the name suggest so...

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Element 14 price:

NEUTRIK
    PLUG, PHONO, 'PROFI', 2PK
    More Details
    10 in stock
    79 deliver in 6 - 7 working days
    cut-off times Price
    For: Pack of 2
    1+ $37.39
    25+ $34.77
    50+ $32.22
    100+ $30.36

OK so now they are $17 odd each in 25 quantities a bargain, compared to around $1 ea for good quality semi-professional from Futurelec.

Sure you aren't getting a comission, the name suggest so...
    BS . Those prices are insane. has inflation hit the swiss that hard.

Maybe my place was selling them at cost as a good will service so you keep coming back and buying avid systems off them.

Jo

I just did a quick scan of the net and it seems that neutric have indeed named their product in my honour.

It looks like they have a you beut model and a crapy model for $4.50.

The connectors I used were somewhat in the middle and cost about $7.
    That plug does not seem to exist anymore....I'm getting old

It seems I can even give them away now...

Jo

Or sell me some?

Thread Information