I guess the snake season starts at different times in different areas depending on temperatures, but it's really just started on the tablelands. As we have been told, the snakes are especially dangerous when they first become active - they are aggressive and seem to have well topped-up supplies of venom.
Our youngest Jack Russell bitch (Winnie) got bitten by a brown snake yesterday and is unlikely to recover. We have 3 of these terriers, and they were obviously all involved - snake was partly eaten and they all had dried blood on their fur. The older two are very good hunters, but Winnie is too impetuous, even at 4 years old.
When my wife found the snake and called the dogs they all seemed OK, but Winnie seemed a bit subdued. She took them all to the vet (10 minute drive) and by the time she got there Winnie was shaking and salivating. Three doses of anti-venom, and several hours on oxygen have kept her alive, but she hasn't improved since about 11:00pm last night. We'll probably have her put down this afternoon. We have identified at least two sets of puncture wounds on her muzzle, so she probably got a massive dose of venom.
She is a very small dog, so it was probably hopeless from the start, however one vet told us a story of a local Jack Russell who has been treated for snake bite 11 times in the last 8 years!!!