R12 buying info please
  • Help

R12 buying info please

My sister is looking at getting a Renault 12. We have one in mind, which is dirt cheap, but not registered. It has a few bubbles in the wheelarches, door bottoms, etc, and the interior is a little rough, but otherwise it looks remarkably sound.
    I am wondering if there is anything I should look out for when i go back for the in-depth inspection and test drive. Any nasties that are R12 specific.
    I posted this in the Renault forum, but I thought there may be someone who might not look there.

Advertisement
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Rust under the carpets, rust in the front pillars around the windscreen which in turn rusts out the front door pillar, rust in the doglegs over the rear wheel arches.

Driveshafts worn (full lock u-turn test), boots split, worn clutch.

Worn rack end bushes, worn steering universal (cheap to fix), worn ball joints, possible worn lower front wishbone and rear trailing arm bushes.

Worn brake pads, discs too thin, non functioning handbrake.

Engine wear on high mileage cars, leading to loss of rings and tacker tacker noises, blocked radiator and heater matrix leading to blown head gaskets (caused by poor maintenance and non use of decent coolant).

Apart from the above there isn't much else to look for.

I note in your sign off you want to get rid of a 604, would that suit for the 12, at least you know the problems the car has.....
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Manual or Auto, 403?

If its an auto, as well as checking out the list offerd by Simon, be wary. They were interesting , early, electronically controlled transmissions but they can be very expensive to repair. The trouble is its not easy working out the source of the problems with them without a thorough workover. It can be as simple as a dead connector, to a defective "computer" to a major mechanical issue.

My wife's first car was a Renault 12 auto. We spent around $1000 for the car, and more than twice that on the transmission! Very little else went wrong with it though apart from suspension bushes (and a bit of rust in front of the doors from clogged drain pipes) during the four or five years that we had it. Nice little car, the R12.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod Hagen:
    Manual or Auto, 403?
    Duh, what an oversight on my part. The above comments are a good point. Unless you can afford to throw the car away if anything goes wrong it may be best to avoid an automatic version.

Also watch the front wheel bearings on high mileage cars.

A good 12 is very good, a poor one can be evil :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

It is a manual. The 604 is no good for the purpose, as it is an auto, and they want to learn on a manual.
    The car we are looking at has been sitting for a couple of years, but it is supposed to go well. It comes with a stack of spares, and the owner wants rid of it for $50, so if it is not too bad, it could be a very cheap first car.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information