Purge 505 GR S1; My baby runs as rough as guts
  • Help

Purge 505 GR S1; My baby runs as rough as guts

Super reliable but finding it extremely hard to get anyone knowledgable enough to work on her. I didn't think it would be that hard to get a carby 4-cyl engine to run right. I was wrong. Have tried several Adelaide mechanics and... well that's another story. Anyway, my baby hasn't run right since I bought her three years ago. God knows how she keeps going, but she does.
    Had the old clapped-out carby replaced last week by an honest mechanic that's trying to do the right thing. Still has rough idling when warm, sometimes stalling. Starts well when cold, but put into gear (auto) and nearly stalls - sometimes does. Pings a lot but running a lot better (when warm). Timing is advanced to its absolute limit says the mechanic. Told the Fuel/air adjustments okay. Just started running her on Premium (1st tank).
    Any suggestions anybody?

Advertisement

Palko,

I just moved you topic from Common problems as nobody could post an answer there; it's a "post but no reply" situation in that part of the forum (for your future reference.)

Should be very easy to sort your Pug out. Either the vacuum capsule's caput on the distributor or the centrifugal weights are jammed. Check & free up the centrifugals, test the vacuum & then set the timing with a strobe light & you should live happily ever after.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Maybe it should be moved to the Peugeot Forum, Alan?

Sounds like distributor problems are the first thing to attack...

Perhaps the bobweights are loose, a spring missing, or something like that. Also the distributor cap, unlikely the resistor would last that long crook, how about the insulators down the pipes to the spark plugs, have you looked at them?

Ray,

I shoved it on here because I didn't know how far I can go on Forums I have no "back door key" to.
    I reckoned it was fairly easily answered so shouldn't get too drawn out & also give us a chance to welcome a new member aboard. deal

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Well, yes, you're right... let's do that...

Break out the champagne, Palko from Adelburg, welcome aboard!

Don't give up on this, we'll help you beat it. Somehow...

nJm
    Ray Bell:
    how about the insulators down the pipes to the spark plugs
    Ray, do you mean those black plastic cylinders which cover up the spark plug extender rod?

Do those rods ever need to be replaced? I took a peek and mine are pretty sooty. Also, it seems one of them won't screw onto the top of the spark plug, so it just sits on it. I'm sure this is the reason I get a lumpy idle for no reason every now and then? I shall try and find a pug spark plug spanner somewhere and have a go. Is it easy to get the rear one out? The airfilter and brake booster look to be in the way.

Cheers
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yes, that can be a problem... but you'll get it with patience.

Also, get some anti-sieze before you do it, use it on the plug threads every time you put them in.

These insulators don't last forever, though they're pretty good. But when they fail they keep a lot of people guessing.

Thanks fellas - you're legends. I'll pass this info onto my mechanic. And thank you Alan for placing it in the correct spot. He completely replace the carby from a running 505 because the old one was absolutely cactus (loose screws, leaks from every orifice, one butterfly completely missing, the other one hand made etc). I'll let you know how it goes. Also had an email from a froggie member in the UK - he has the same problem.

Fellow Frogger!
    What are you doing!!! you want an excellent Mechanic to work on your car,
    There's an Ex taylors bloke called Mark,
    he runs Lion Automotive in edwardstown,
    ph 82990860, Tell him Adrian sent you..
    He lives in Craigmore, so if you live in between
    craigmore and edwardstown, and ask Mark nicely, he will pick your car up on the way to work and leave a loan car.
    You can't beat service like that.
    Also some hush hush breaking news.
    A new peugeot parts place is starting up in Adelaide, september the 1st, Peugeot Parts Price Reform hit's Adelaide, bout bloody time!!
    Thier number is 82805533.
    Cheers,
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

Thanks Adrian, just got off the phone to Mark. Good to meet another honest mechanic. This website is worth its weight in frogs.

Thread Information