My thoughts are with those in Tasmania's current fire area
  • Help

Default My thoughts are with those in Tasmania's current fire area

I know of 3 present or past aussiefroggers living in the valley that's been threatened by fire for the past 24 hours or more, covering Citroen, Peugeot and Renault ownership.
    Hoping that they, their families, their animals, and their homes and cars stay safe.

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

Default All wonderful froggers, but safe at this stage.

My concerns too, have you any updates. Sorry I haven't been watching the news.

I just got an update from Di, in Launceston. Apparently the Fire came very close to our Froggers properties in Collinsvale and Moleworth, seems that there might be some outbuildings that went on some properties nearbye?.

BrettR and Tammy are safe, with Brett taking lots of photos and updating on facebook, their kids and pets have been evacuated or staying elsewhere and the fire is said to be moving South West, though for anyone that knows that country, its quite hilly with forest and most of the roads are fairly narrow dirt roads.

Gregg who some will know as a pug owner, had the fire burn right up to his property, and almost reach a ring of pugs protecting it - apparently his geese attacked the firemen as they fought to save the property, not sure if the fire reached the cars, David our Fuego friend at Molesworth is safe, but fires threatened the house I believe.

Lot of loss of forest and grassland, fierce windy and hot.

I am sure we will get an update directy from these guys soon, but as far as we know everyone is safe, but the fire though contained in places is still burning and spot fires breaking out. Its been a frightning experience for all concerned. During the fire one of the helicopters crashed and the pilot injured but winched out by another helicopter not far from Brett and Tammys.

I am so glad to hear these fine people are safe and hopefully there wont be any tragic news from others, apparently tehre is another fire burning or burnt areas near Georgetown & 45 km from Launceston.

Sorry the update is a bit sketchy

We wish them our sincere hope that all goes well over the next few days and the recovery phase of the fires.

Regards

Ken

You're more up-to-date than I am, Ken - thanks for the info. I've been following Tammy's Facebook on and off all day, and had seen reference to David's being safe, but I wasn't sure just how much damage had happened at Gregg's. Warning levels went down but then back up again tonight, but it seems from ABC reports that it's moving away from our friends.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

COL

All safe here in George Town. The fire near here is near a small place called Lefroy which is about 10Km away From George Town.

It was windy here yesterday and the wind is starting as I write this. We have had road closures and people of Lefroy have been asked to leave but as far as I know there is no property damamge.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    All safe here in George Town. The fire near here is near a small place called Lefroy which is about 10Km away From George Town.

It was windy here yesterday and the wind is starting as I write this. We have had road closures and people of Lefroy have been asked to leave but as far as I know there is no property damamge.
    Good to hear from you Col and the news of no property damage is welcomed, hopefully all the fires will be soon contained and under control. I emailed Brett and David, but I see that Bretts computer is down and they are using facebook from mobile devices, haven't heard back from David yet and will ring him later if no reply.

Keep us posted on developments. mate.

Ken

Just heard from Richo in Collinsvale, not good, fires are about a kilometre away - good luck ol' mate.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Default Update from Brett

Any update from Richo as to their current situation, hoping he gets through o.k. Got this update from Brettr

We are not out of the woods yet but the main fire front is heading in the general direction of Hobart and Mt Wellington through Collinsvale. The seat of the fire was Glen Duh Rd (right near the little Molesworth shop on the Molesworth Rd) and I personally reckon it was probably deliberately lit.

That is still burning and is only a mile or less away as the crow flies. If the wind blows the wrong way it might send embers over so there I still a risk but things are much better. I think *(hope) we are safe from the main fire front as on two or three sides we are surrounded by burn off now and it would be harder for the fire to come back through.
    Update 2 from Brett

David is OK, we bumped into him a couple of times coming and going today and I think he might have had some work. He is closer to the fire in one way and further in another than us if that makes any sense. The lay of the land and the way the gullies twist. Although Glen Dhu Rd is only a ridge or two from his place the fire seems to be moving more towards Collinsvale. It came close to him on Wednesday but he was fine and them moved on near us. If the wind had blown the wrong way it might have been really nasty for us but it has been heading up Collins Cap Road as if it was following a road map.

Greg had bother because he is near the top of the ridge on Collins Cap Rd and, the top end of Glen Du Rd is just over the hill. Luckily his place was OK but he had two near misses, the first very close, Wednesday, and then again last night when it flared back up in the paddock near the road. I don’t know if you’ve seen any photos but it literally burnt right around his rare 403 panel van in the paddock without toasting it. I’m beginning to think God must drive a Peugeot…

In some ways Greg is better off than us now, because although it is dicey generally with spot fires breaking out downwind, around his place has already burnt through once, making any flare ups or new outbreaks more controllable. So far, touch wood, we haven’t been touched by fire at all, which is obviously great, but with the vegetation on the block, if it does start it’s going to be nasty. The crews are trying to stop that because this side of the range links into the Wellington Reserve and potentially could see a monster blaze leading through to the mountain and even down to Huonville recreating the 1967 disaster. They have done a great job of containing it as much as possible today but the terrain around here can be inaccessible and so some areas are more easily managed than others.

Richard I have not spoken to today. The fire is heading in his general direction as the back of his place is in the vicinity of Myrtle Forest reserve (a part of Wellington Trust reserve). Not sure if he is in need of evacuation yet, probably not. If it keeps coming he could have some problems, of course, the only way to know, is to be there
    Hope we hear from the others soon.

Regards

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 8th February 2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add 2nd update

Gday Fellas,
    long time no see.

Thanks for the concern, it's nice to be remembered. We're still OK where we are today but the wind is sending smoke from Glen Dhu Road towards us today and earlier, especially, it has been really windy. It has tried to rain once or twice very half heartedly so fingers crossed. Still no fire or ember attacks on our property, but the first fire front that came over the ridge from Glen Dhu nearly hit our friends' home a quarter mile away on Wednesday. It flared up again Thirsday evening, luckily we were driving past and saw it, so I stopped and started putting it out with buckets of water from a rainwater tank (power was out so no water pump!). It was an uphill battle and Tammy was on the phone to the TFS when a mini-tanker from Kingston brigade drove past and she flagged them down. I fed the water from the tank (it had a few metres of poly pipe off the valve) into the tank of the utlity and the guys got the pump onto it. Good timing. Well, it flared up again this morning (again, as Tammy drove past--weird or what) and she gave them the heads up and they had to come and extinguish it again. So we are OK but this has all happened quarter a mile away, it's a very localised thing and we're close to some of the action, too close really.

The main fire front has headed towards Collinsvale so Richo may be in pole position (I hope not). Greg and I are out of danger from the main front and, with the amount of burnt vegetation between us and Collinsvale, unless the wind changes and the fire takes the long way around that shouldn't bother us--we have a nice fire break now it has gone through. Glen Dhu, where it started, continues to burn though, because of inaccessible terrain and vegetation, so as long as that goes we will have to be alert for embers blowing in.

A chopper went down a couple of days ago further up Collins Cap Road on the way to Richo's up the top of the Cap. One reporty said his water hopper got tangled up but according to the paper there was a mechanical problem that brought it down. The TFS have felt the loss of that aircraft as the water bombing has helped to ensure that amazingly no homes have been lost so far, just a few sheds a caravan or two and a few cars (one a friend's half a mile away was an old Datsun utility that blew up Hollywood style apparently). FYI the pilot got out OK with only minor injuries but was real close to fire and had to be winched out by one of the other choppers. I think that is a day he won't forget in a hurry. This afternoon they must have reached what was left of it as a truck and crane went down the hill with the helicopter on the back of the truck. It looked to be in one big piece, I'm curious, and wonder if it might fly again one day...of course air crash investigators will be able to look at it now to determine what actually happened.

David's place is still OK, not that far from some burn out but not next door, he's not directly impacted so far.

I got some good photos Wednesday and Thursday (especially of the choppers water bombing Greg's place, I can see it from our house). They were mostly on film with a Hassy or Canon 35mm, though. If I get a chance I will add some digitals later, off to check on our friends down the road now, they are in their 60's and this is all beginning to wear them down. I'll be trying to reach Richo later too because the area in and around Collinsvale is still an active fire front as far as I can establish.
    Not sure if this facebook link will work but more here:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...if_t=notify_me

Also TFS site here

Cheers guys,
    Brett
    Last edited by Brett R; 9th February 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: extra details

I spoke to Richo this morning. He's been a bit crook lately but their place is OK. Helicopters water bombing houses in the valley but the fire didn't hit him. It still burns but I have seen TFS advice that no homes are imminently threatened and they will be monitoring it for days or longer as parts will simply have to be contained until they burn out. We're doing OK here at Molesworth too, Glen Dhu Rd continues to burn out but it is re-opened to local residents and Aurora energy crews for power line repairs. Naturally we will all be much happier when all fires are out but things seem to be getting better.
    Best,
    Brett

Thank you for the update Brett, it is good to hear from you again. I hope the fire poses you no further risk.

Don't forget to take some digital photos to keep up your skills in that medium.

Regards,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Thank you for the update Brett, it is good to hear from you again. I hope the fire poses you no further risk.

Don't forget to take some digital photos to keep up your skills in that medium.

Regards,
    Roger
    Thanks, Roger, kind of you. The fire is still burning in inaccessible terrain but poses no immediate risk to property acccording to TFS. We've been fortunate that we were spared the strong winds and extreme temparatures that scorched Dunnalley a few weeks ago. The last few days have been low twenties but it is rising to 30 later in the week so we are still concerned. Of course the fire burning is a double edged sword. The more burn off there is between us and a front the harder it is to come back and get us (depending on wind direction etc. of course). It's into the Wellington Park area and is not very far from Ferntree on the other side of Hobart, so it has indeed covered some ground.

I really should update my digital camera because it's ancient. I've just kept acquiring various film ones instead but have some very nice kit now. I love those Super Taks I got from you years back and use them often, in 35mm it is either screwmount or Contaflex mostly. Rollei and Hassy in MF. Doing my own B&W films for a few years.
    Best,
    Brett

Default My thoughts are with those in Tasmania's current fire area

Hi all!
    Yes, it got rather closer than was comfortable.......
    I was at work when it kicked off and they didn't let me back in, but dad got there a bit earlier and a carload of precious stuff was taken to safety (rare books, hard drive, photo negs etc) and went to friends who were defending (very well prepared ex-fire brigade) so they had eyes on with binoculars.
    I was in phone contact from the evacuation centre and I was hearing how the flames were in my yard...they saw flames surround one car then saw black smoke, so I thought that was gone...but the grass was cut so short when it looked like a bad season, the flames didn't have enough heat to torch the car and the smoke was the neighbour's ute going up....
    The fire brigade kept the fire mostly on one side of the gravel road but small spot fires kept jumping.
    My top paddock burned around three cars and two trailers right up to the door of the greenhouse and about five metres from the back door...the bottom paddock had a small fire they put out quick.
    I was allowed in on Wednesday night and stayed up all night watching the fire as it swung back and came within 500m again....then kept watch on Thursday.
    On Thursday evening a fresh spot fire burned most of my bottom paddock out and it was a spectacular show watching two water bomb helicopters putting it out!
    My respect for those guys is huge!
    Long and the short is that property loss was confined to some fence posts and the grass, all of my animals came through fine and the TFS did an awesome job o keeping the fire away from houses.
    It was a stressful few days but the worst is over now so I can start to relax!

My thoughts are with those in Tasmania's current fire area-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360710018.223216.jpg

Helicopter putting out my paddock...
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information