Nissan banner advert all across AF?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Nissan banner advert all across AF?

Hi everyone,
    Tonight on Aussiefrogs I am besieged by some stupid Nissan banner running across the screen in the foreground that moves around, obscures posts when reading them and is gemerally a total PIA. Is this a new sponsors feature or something? It is driving me nuts, and anyway I am never going to buy a new Nissan so it is totally useless.
    I have had similar roving bars on other websites, and it always ruins the browsing experience.
    I am operating an Ipad - which has its own issues on AF , especially around posting and not being able to scroll in some of the text boxes, if that has any bearing.
    Are other people experiencing this and it is a new AF sponsor driven thing? I see the regular ads for the likes of Eurocars (which are not thrust down our necks) are still there in their regular postion. It is not some setting I can disable or anything is it?.

Hoing for relief.If the answer to getting rid of it is to click on it and be forced to follow its content, I will be very p$&@ed off.
    Regards, Leconte

Advertisement
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

I use Win XP and Google Chrome.

I don't recall any Nissan ads at all on AF.

Give the advertising hype all over the web about the "Ipad rich media experience" the problem may well be linked to Apple and their possible profit making attempts to sell advertising space on the screen of their Ipads.

Rest assured at some stage someone will come up an application to circumvent them.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Nissan banner advert all across AF

I am gettng this Nissan banner advert on AF on both Safari browser and ICABMobile browser. Not happening on another "cars" website (carpoint) and not on a non-cars website.
    All this on an ipad, so maybe it is an Apple thing but I haven't consciously changed anything on it.
    Anyone else getting this? If not I will have to assume it is something along those lines.
    1965 Heidelberg ID19

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Anyone else getting this? If not I will have to assume it is something along those lines.
    I'm using Chrome and Firefox on Windows PC's and no Nissan banners here.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by okalford View Post
    I'm using Chrome and Firefox on Windows PC's and no Nissan banners here.
    Thanks, it is looking like it is me or the ipad then. Don't know why it would suddenly start happening.
    Cheers, leconte
    1965 Heidelberg ID19

DS

No Nissans here.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

UFO

No nissans here. Windows 7, Firefox.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

No Nissans here Win 7 Opera.

To my knowledge there have been no changes to sponsors advertising. The google ads as I understand, are supposed to be random but I have noticed that if I use google to search say Bunnings I'll see Bunnings ads on AF? If there is a link be careful what you search using google you may just end up with Nissan

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

i had that on FF on OSX as well... uninstalled FF on that basis, safari seems to behaving so far....

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

nothing here on windoze & FF, but I use Adblock Plus freebie. Chris could be on the mark with Google, Adblock says that most active filter is "pagead2.googlesyndication.com".

Adblock turns obnoxious sites like YahooMail into livable zones, I give it 4/5 stars....

cheers,
    Bob

Default Nissan banner advert all across AF?

Adblock is awesome.......
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!

I had the same problem on an iPhone (iPhone 4, IOS 5.1.1, browsing with Safari).

If it happens again I'll install another browser and see if that changes anything. I was using tapatalk but found it too unstable.
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Windoze 7 64bit & IE9 here, no ad blockers or anti-virus running.
    The Eurocars ad is where it is supposed to be, no floaty banner Nissan ads.

Have it tonight on iPad, but I did enable pop-up so I could read a PM
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

And I just turned pop-ups off again and it made no difference - Nissans are still there.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Safari & Mountain Lion (on an iMac - not a iPad) and no problems here.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Shut down iPad and restarted, with pop-ups blocked, and the ad is gone.

Ps next morning on restart it is back on the iPad again. If anyone has a solution, like other iPad users I'd like to know the answer. Is the only solution tapatalk?
    Last edited by Bruce H; 22nd November 2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Changes the next day
    Bruce H

I-Phones are for people who can't use Blackberry's, I-Pads are for people who can't use computers!

No Nissan ads on my aged desktop runnings Windoze 7 and Opera......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Nissan ads shows on my iPad as well,but seems to be intermittent. These ads have only appeared today. It only appears on AF as have been browsing other websites and no problems.

1000+ Posts

No problems here, i'm running windows 7 professional and fire fox
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Fellow Frogger!

Default Update on i-pad affliction

Hi again,
    After some research it seems this floating Nissan banner ad is likely to be an Apple "iAd" and hence affects only IOs computers (iphone ipad ipod).
    I seem to have been able to banish it from my ICabMobile browser by adding a blocking filter to my filtering list in that browser set up. I blocked "http://m.nissan*" and this morning it is not assaulting me. It still is there on the Safari browser and I cannot find a similar feature in the Safari settings to have a blacklist so for now I have given up the battle.

These iAds were controversial when first introduced with iOS 4, but apple promised they would only be used for good not evil, such as a way to embed ads in the free versions of apps to help the poor developers make some mony. Well I have paid for Safari as part of the iPad purchase, and also my ICabMobile version is also paid for. So I am not a happy camper if this is the Apple way of the future. From research on various blogs, it looks like you cannot have a blanket suppression of iAds without "jailbreaking" your device and running some arcane bloody script to instell an iAdKiller. This doesn't sound like something I want to do. So we seem to be at the mercy of advertisers.
    For those not afflicted, this Nissan thing is a floating banner that obscures about one eigth of the Ipad screen from side to side, jumps around and is permanently on top of the screen. For me, it is omly appearing on the aussiefrogs site and I did see one Nissan ad in the normal non-floating position in the forums ysterday, so I think it must be related to Nissan "knowing" this is a car related site in Australia etc.
    Regards,
    Leconte
    1965 Heidelberg ID19

And this morning suddenly I get the message telling me about the tapatalk app. when I open aussiefrogs, something I haven't seen since I first loaded the site. Sorry if I sound cynical, but annoy a user for a few days then point them to buy a possible solution?
    Bruce H

I have been assured this offending advert will be removed tonight.
    It has been piggy backed without permission of the ad supplier.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Full members should see very minimal adverts

Thanks gibgib, much appreciated.
    Bruce H

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi again,
    After some research it seems this floating Nissan banner ad is likely to be an Apple "iAd" and hence affects only IOs computers (iphone ipad ipod).
    I seem to have been able to banish it from my ICabMobile browser by adding a blocking filter to my filtering list in that browser set up. I blocked "http://m.nissan*" and this morning it is not assaulting me. It still is there on the Safari browser and I cannot find a similar feature in the Safari settings to have a blacklist so for now I have given up the battle.

These iAds were controversial when first introduced with iOS 4, but apple promised they would only be used for good not evil, such as a way to embed ads in the free versions of apps to help the poor developers make some mony. Well I have paid for Safari as part of the iPad purchase, and also my ICabMobile version is also paid for. So I am not a happy camper if this is the Apple way of the future. From research on various blogs, it looks like you cannot have a blanket suppression of iAds without "jailbreaking" your device and running some arcane bloody script to instell an iAdKiller. This doesn't sound like something I want to do. So we seem to be at the mercy of advertisers.
    For those not afflicted, this Nissan thing is a floating banner that obscures about one eigth of the Ipad screen from side to side, jumps around and is permanently on top of the screen. For me, it is omly appearing on the aussiefrogs site and I did see one Nissan ad in the normal non-floating position in the forums ysterday, so I think it must be related to Nissan "knowing" this is a car related site in Australia etc.
    Regards,
    Leconte
    what a fantastic reason, not that I really needed one I suppose, to steer well clear of Apple products. Does this raise the resale value of old Apple OS gear ?

I wonder how far behind this "progress" Bill is ? Could be XP forever...... wonder if I should turn off the "security updates" rubbish......

Certainly exposes how "secure" our personal internet space is, of whatever colour

cheers,
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information