windscreen for DS wanted....best price in Victoria anyone?
  • Register
  • Help

Default windscreen for DS wanted....best price in Victoria anyone?

Just asking a question for another D owner... last time I got mine it was around $180 fitted
    Has anyone had to get a DS windscreen of late and if so..where and how much..thanks all

Advertisement
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger!

Hi dogboy!
    Windscreens O'brien for not much more than $150 from memory. ..
    Most insurance companies allow for one windscreen replacement a year, I did that through Shannons.

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Pastinha View Post
    Hi dogboy!
    Windscreens O'brien for not much more than $150 from memory. ..
    Most insurance companies allow for one windscreen replacement a year, I did that through Shannons.

Harley
    Cheers Harley!!
    we must do something about those Robri 2CV accesories!!
    How is King Kong going?? have you met my mate Rob by any chance..he does lighting
    do call by if you are Red Hill way
    Cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

1000+ Posts

Maybe-just maybe O'Brien's have realised their prices were way too high & have become reasonable.

Try the crew @ Windscreen Power in Ballarat 5333 1443.They will treat you right-They have Branches in Geelong & Wherehebee-[Werribee]-I have used them for a loooong time.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Maybe-just maybe O'Brien's have realised their prices were way too high & have become reasonable.

Try the crew @ Windscreen Power in Ballarat 5333 1443.They will treat you right-They have Branches in Geelong & Wherehebee-[Werribee]-I have used them for a loooong time.
    Thanks for that..will let the owner know the options...cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

DS

Fitting a DS winsdcreen is not as straight forward as it seems. I recently had one fitted and was told of some horror tales by some fitted by that mobile crowd. Excessive use of glue in places glue should never be used for starters.

Get someone who knows what they are doing, PLEASE.

Mine was $550.00 supply and fit and I claimed my "one windscreen a year" on my Shannons insurance policy. I've never claimed one in 20 years. Very painless.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

There should be no glue used in fitting a D screen, ever, anywhere.
    I've fitted two in the last few months, no problems with either.
    A simple enough task with two people, about 15 minutes. Painless.
    Sealing the screen correctly, as well as proper removal and preparation are the keys to success.

The removal and preparation for installing a new screen will take (up to) an hour.
    For Late Models. Removal of an interior mirror which has been glued on with the special and trick glue which is not meant to be removable can be successfully removed.
    Last edited by richo; 29th May 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Richo, you may be getting a Visitor.

The issue initially is availabilty as my DS is registered in QLD and needs a RWC for Victorian registration. This is the DS recently driven down from Brisbane. The RWC licencee's have no initiative, the moment they saw a few chips on the windscreen, they went no further - you need a new windscreen!

Vic Roads RWC requirements are clear re windscreens and in particular - laminated windscreens. They allow some road damage; it requires a bit of initiative on the part of the RWC issuer.

A "windscreen should only [not must], be rejected if it is [damaged] to the extent that the driver's vision is so impaired that the vehicle cannot be driven safely".

Behind the wheel, unless somebody points them out, the driver can not see the few star fractures on the outer layer. The windscreen is not sandblasted pitted all over that you would be blinded driving into the setting sun!

The DS is not unroadworthy.

PS: The DS is insurered by Shannons but that is not the case. However if I can not get any body to grant a RWC, so be it, a new windscreen it is.

I've taken a few photos from the drivers seat with maximun enlargement but sorry I can not down load them, nevertheless I can asure all that the driver's vision is not compromised in any way.

So, where does one get DS windscreen fitted in Melbourne or do I leave it to Shannons?

Best regards,

John

Fellow Frogger

I'm sure there's a mastic strip that you shove under the bottom of the glass once it's in place. Franzose have it in a roll I think.
    If you are going to pull the bonnet off for access, remove it where the hinges bolt into the scuttle, leaving them with the bonnet.

To All,

I am a bit confused with the "gluing" bit. Whilist I do not know how the DS windscreen is fixed, based on the age, it is obviously not bonded and thus must be rubber mounted.

Richo, are you saying that "no chalking" [not "glue" per se] is to be used at all? As when the weather here in Melbourne fines up I'll be chasing a RWC and if it requires a new windscreen - so be it.

Please confirm.

John

John

There's no glue John. Butyl Mastic is used, Wurth or 3M make it in a 10mm round profile. Cheap it isn't, permanent and effective it is.
    DON'T pull the bonnet off, it is not necessary.
    If you look in the manuals link, you will find a manual #471 which is the only body manual the factory published for the D series. While dated 1964 the vast majority applies even to the last of the D's made in 1975.

Download it, look for and follow the method to remove and replace the windscreen. They mention ( the possible requirement of) a wooden spacer. buy yourself a "paddle pop" or score a medical tongue depressor if required. Only needed if the windscreen supplied is too thin, which USED TO BE a problem.

Now, most screens supplied are made in China (Fuyao Glass Industries), are the correct shape and thickness. The tint is perfect as well as legal and it doesn't have a tinted band at the top. Let your fingers do the walking for a screen, a few phone calls will yield a result, simple.

If you want to do the job yourself, when you have the screen and you've downloaded the manual, printed out the pages and familiarised yourself with the procedure and method, if you're not all that confident, I can talk you through it, via the phone.

If you're prepared to have a go, I'm a phone call away.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by richo; 30th May 2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: apostrophes, parentheses, clarity.

The DS windscreen is in a rubber seal on three sides. The bottom of the scree however is clamped to the scuttle with a steel strip and sealed with mastic. A bit messy but an easy amateur job.
    There is a You Tube video around showing how it is done. How many Californians does it take to change a screen?
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    The DS windscreen is in a rubber seal on three sides. The bottom of the scree however is clamped to the scuttle with a steel strip and sealed with mastic. A bit messy but an easy amateur job.
    There is a You Tube video around showing how it is done. How many Californians does it take to change a screen?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

The YT video is lacking more important points of fitting, mentions nothing of the mirror changeover and takes more than two people. But that's okay, it's half decent, you can only put so much in an 8 minute video with all those Califooyans.
    My two person (or one person if necessary) method differs in fitting and follows the factory recommended method more closely.
    Read the #471, then watch the video, it will become more apparent.
    The attention to detail required for sealing of the lower part of the screen with mastic is seriously important.
    Last edited by richo; 30th May 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: gotaa bag up my buddies steve and wally.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That mastic tape appears impossible to find .... However this stuff could be a "maybe"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-VAN-S...item33595ca673
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yep, that would work and it would be mastic.
    The postage from the UK would be a deal killer.

The Wurth product is only a phone call away, Wurth is represented all over Australia. Can only be bought from Wurth.

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    The YT video is lacking more important points of fitting, mentions nothing of the mirror changeover and takes more than two people. But that's okay, it's half decent, you can only put so much in an 8 minute video with all those Califooyans.
    My two person (or one person if necessary) method differs in fitting and follows the factory recommended method more closely.
    Read the #471, then watch the video, it will become more apparent.
    The attention to detail required for sealing of the lower part of the screen with mastic is seriously important.
    Hi Richo, our earlier replies crossed! Thanks GB for putting up the Y Tube link. I just re-watched that video and am jealous of all the wiling helpers.... at one stage there are 4 pairs of helping hands in shot!

Richo, I am not sure your "one person" method of fitting a screen could possibly work with a new rubber seal... the dashed thing has a life of it's own and I eventually gave up and fitted the old, rather stiffer, one. Maybe one day when I have someone to give me a hand I will try again
    Michael

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Hi Richo, our earlier replies crossed! Thanks GB for putting up the Y Tube link. I just re-watched that video and am jealous of all the wiling helpers.... at one stage there are 4 pairs of helping hands in shot!

Richo, I am not sure your "one person" method of fitting a screen could possibly work with a new rubber seal... the dashed thing has a life of it's own and I eventually gave up and fitted the old, rather stiffer, one. Maybe one day when I have someone to give me a hand I will try again
    Michael, fitting a screen with a new rubber certainly does add another dimension but with a bit of trickery can be no more difficult than re-using an old rubber.

Using gaff tape, tape the new rubber to the screen, small pieces at 90 degrees across the rubber and onto the glass, paying particular attention to the tight corners. Now using a sharp blade cut away the tape that crosses the opening in the rubber so that it can again be fitted into the screen frame on the car. With the rubber held to the screen like this you'll find it will cooperate. I've used this method on my own car and a friends and the screen was in position within 5 minutes easy.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Michael,
    The one person method works, if I hadn't done it, I wouldn't suggest it. There are also two approaches which can be made if doing the job on your own. Reproduction is not the same as original. Original more often is best.

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Michael,
    The one person method works, if I hadn't done it, I wouldn't suggest it. There are also two approaches which can be made if doing the job on your own. Reproduction is not the same as original. Original more often is best.
    Yeah, understood. I have also done it single handed a couple of times, but only with an older stiffer gasket... like I said, the new rubber was a real handful and I had to give up my effort due to lack of a third hand!
    Michael

After tackling full rubber seal mounted windscreens over the years, I'll certainly will tackle it myself if the need arises as it will give me the opportunity to clean the DS up a bit.

Recently had a Mercedes W123 windscreen mounted by "professionals" and I was a bit taken back by roughness of the installation (that's what happens when time is the controlling factor - close enough is good enough). Nevertheless, it sealed well and looks good as new. Just fussy I guess.

As previously noted the DS has been knocked back for a RWC by a number of garages because all of them without even sitting in the DS simply checked the windscreen and said that they would not issue one without a new windscreen.

If they bothered to seat in the DS and look out, they would have no right to reject because star / bulls eyes fractures of up to 16mm in diameter and outer layer cracks of up to 150 mm in lenght are ALLOWED within the wiper blade area. It has none of those nor is it sand blasted all over.

I've complained to VicRoads and they agreed that some RWC Licensees are over cautious and the VicRoads guy I was speaking to suggested that I take it elsewhere and that's what I will do.

The windscreen in the DS will not prevent the DS from being driven safely. It is not unroadworthy. Nevertheless, if I can't somebody that has some initiative, a new windscreen it is.

Best regards,

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post

After tackling full rubber seal mounted windscreens over the years, I'll certainly will tackle it myself if the need arises as it will give me the opportunity to clean the DS up a bit.

Recently had a Mercedes W123 windscreen mounted by "professionals" and I was a bit taken back by roughness of the installation (that's what happens when time is the controlling factor - close enough is good enough). Nevertheless, it sealed well and looks good as new. Just fussy I guess.

As previously noted the DS has been knocked back for a RWC by a number of garages because all of them without even sitting in the DS simply checked the windscreen and said that they would not issue one without a new windscreen.

If they bothered to seat in the DS and look out, they would have no right to reject because star / bulls eyes fractures of up to 16mm in diameter and outer layer cracks of up to 150 mm in lenght are ALLOWED within the wiper blade area. It has none of those nor is it sand blasted all over.

I've complained to VicRoads and they agreed that some RWC Licensees are over cautious and the VicRoads guy I was speaking to suggested that I take it elsewhere and that's what I will do.

The windscreen in the DS will not prevent the DS from being driven safely. It is not unroadworthy. Nevertheless, if I can't somebody that has some initiative, a new windscreen it is.

Best regards,

John
    It probably looks old ... ie: sandblasted, nothing at all to do chips or scratches. Not a windscreen in my yard in any of the car would pass a roadworthy, including the 407 (I don't know how it's windscreen passed the roadworthy when I bought the car). Just clean the screen and try driving into the sun, or shining a light off the screen and you'll see what I mean.

They will just about demand a new windscreen by default these days to cover themselves You have seen how ludicrously involved a RWC is in victoria these days right ???

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Bad Bertie had one awhile back?

Thread Information