1987 S2 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo
  • Help

Default 1987 S2 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo

Expressions of interest in my car.
    I am currently undecided as to whether to sell my car or not. Depending upon what money I can get for it. It is insured with NRMA for $6500 there figure not mine. The head was done up 8000km ago, with new Pre combustion chambers, new valve guides, a valve grind and deck and new glow plugs. It has new tyres on it, new shocks all round, new windscreen, new boot seal rubber, new fuel guage sender, new seat covers in the front, and every panel except the boot lid, rear left quarter and left rear door has been resprayed. The paint colour is a metalic blue/silver. It has 15 inch alloy rims, climate control air conditioning(which works) power windows, central locking including the boot and full instruments including turbo boost guage, oil temp and level. It has a 2.5 litre turbo diesel and a 5 speed manual gear box. The car has travelled 357K and goes very well. I average between 37 and 42 miles per gallon depending upon how and where it is driven. It has just had a service with the engine oil and filter change and new gearbox and diff oil. The interior is blue and in good order, except for the dash pad which is cracked but has a cover over it. Its plates are GTD 025. If anyone is interested or has a idea what it is worth let me know at sattwood@northnet.com.au
    cheers all

Advertisement
    1987 Peugeot 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo

What sort of $ are you looking at Scott?
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    What sort of $ are you looking at Scott?
    Sorry Neil for taking so long, in the middle of harvest. I thought it should be worth around $6000?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Sorry Neil for taking so long, in the middle of harvest. I thought it should be worth around $6000?

why are you selling it ?
    GTD's are a pretty good car to have
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    why are you selling it ?
    GTD's are a pretty good car to have
    Not really sure I should, but living where I do I have found that getting parts can sometimes be a problem. The car was off the road for 9 weeks doing the head up, which left a really bad taste in my mouth. Being fairly new to pugs I was getting the parts from a aftermarket dealer in Brisbane, who I have found out is incompetant and a rouge. He kept sending me the wrongs parts even though I gave him the correct discription and model numbers, this was at my expense with freight both ways. After more than 20 phone calls finally I had all the parts and sent the wrong ones back only to be stiffed on the money. He would not send any parts till he had the money. So I was double paying on the incorrect ones, only to have him not refund my money when I returned the incorrect ones. Before anyone defends him by saying " but pugs changed some of there parts halfway through the life of models". There is no excuse for sending a set of head bolts with the incorrect number and length of bolts when I had the old ones out and told him the lengths and numbers. This cost me a lot of money because as well as ripping me off, I was paying a diesel mechanic to come out to the farm to put it together, to find when he gets there that they are wrong and has waisted a trip. I have been talking to other parts suppliers and they have confirmed my experience with stories of there own and other customers who have also been ripped off too. Its easy to do to someone when you live five hours away, and in another state. I hope he is still in business next time I am in Brisbane cause I will call in and collect my money one way or another. He could of had a new loyal customer if he had treated me right, but is only after a quick buck.
    Thats the only reason I am thinking of selling is the downtime if something goes wrong with the car, being used to fords (still have 2 others) I am not yet happy with waiting for parts instead of going into town and getting what I want. I have done a fair bit of work with the car since buying it and am now getting parts from elsewhere which seems to be ok. My nearest genuine dealer is 250km away and they don't stock any parts I have needed so far.
    I love the car, it is lovely to drive but am not happy with driving something that potentially may give me trouble in the middle of knowwhere with no quick way of getting it fixed. Living where I do and travelling long distances in remote areas its just a worry, based on the parts problems I have had up to date.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

sounds like you have done all the big stuff to it now
    better off to keep and utilise what you have spent on the engine and body
    keep fuel clean and oil changed you should be right
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

You want me to go see the man and ask for your money back?

I would hesitate to sell such a car at this stage. From what you've put, I'd say the only two likely areas for trouble might be the synchros and the air conditioning... the air would, of course, be a simple thing to have done locally... the box is another matter, but not impossible.

I have heard a similar story from someone south of you regarding this 'pay and we'll send it... oh, too bad if it's the wrong thing!' stuff. Maybe you should confer with Andrew on those issues?

Maybe you could teach the jerk a lesson?

I travel up and down all the time, I was in Inverell a few months ago too... it looked great after some rain there, I paid Ron Thorp a visit and went to the museum that trip.

e.mail me on raybell@justin-bell.net if you would like me to help out in any way. Or phone on 0409 063 662 or 0411 280 267.

Scott, I too have had similar experiences with whom would likely to be the same business. I originally just thought it was peugeot quirkiness - but I changed my mind after waiting months for a part and multiple phone calls. I also began thinking about getting rid of my pug for fear of having to deal with them again. Fortunately there are some honest pug wreckers out there ie. pugwreck in melbourne, and I've had some dealings with Adrian Coleman in South Australia and found him to be good too. Both have contact deatails on this forum somewhere. It does cost a bit more in frieght, but it's made up in maintaining my sanity.

That's three members of this forum who've been shafted by a wrecker (or wreckers?) in Brisbane.

I suggest it's time to do something...

Default Shonky Wreckers.

Just a thought; we have a Moderators forum here that can only be accessed by moderators/administrators, could I suggest that the name of the wrecker(s) or parts suppliers who have been getting up to these capers be e-mailed off list to either me or one of the moderators and it is then posted in the moderators section.
    Anyone then thinking about dealing with any wreckers/parts suppliers in Brisbane can e-mail a moderator off list, give the name of the company they intend dealing with & then be advised if this is in fact the company doing all the shafting.
    This way we can't be accused of bad mouthing anyone but are passing on the experiences of other owners.
    I can be either e-mailed or PMd via this board.

Everybody happy with that suggestion?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Good idea, Alan...

And maybe the people concerned could be advised that members are doing this too... keep them on their toes perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Good idea, Alan...

And maybe the people concerned could be advised that members are doing this too... keep them on their toes perhaps?
    I'd leave that decision to the "Powers that be" but personally, I'd rather they heard about it "on the grapevine" so they may take it as being something that has happened rather than something they can gloss over until the heat's off.
    That should have a better long term effect

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Scott,

gee it must be nice to be able to control your temper so well. I'd probably be in court about now if someone tried that sort of shit on me (for attempting to prove yes these head bolts will fit up your arse, here's the proof ).

I always use my credit card for these transactions, that way if there's any grief I'll just tell 'em straight on the phone I won't be chasing them up, I'll simply reject the credit card payment back onto the merchant through my bank, and you willl find the existing parts you've sent me at the Ballarat tip if you want to go collect them ('cos I'm sure as hell not paying postage to get them back there).

If your still getting nowhere time to visit the premises (at lunchtime or late in the afternoon when people picking up/dropping off cars). Do you block and let EVERYONE in the street know what a theiving b@stard the guy is. Tell anyone dropping the car off your story and suggest they tell all there friends not to come here either.

He'll probably shut up shop straight away, tell him you'll see him at the same time tomorrow (and the day after, and day after that etc). Then when your leaving casualy remark "I wonder how much the tires/lights/windscreens are worth on the cars parked around here ........ ". What ever you do don't actualy come back and damage them, but it'll give him a LOT to think about

Betcha he's falling over himself backwards to help you out in no time. If they threaten you, it's time to get the cops there ... Nothing like having the cops turn up at a bussiness a few days in a row to scare customers away

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hi Scott,

gee it must be nice to be able to control your temper so well. I'd probably be in court about now if someone tried that sort of shit on me (for attempting to prove yes these head bolts will fit up your arse, here's the proof ).

I always use my credit card for these transactions, that way if there's any grief I'll just tell 'em straight on the phone I won't be chasing them up, I'll simply reject the credit card payment back onto the merchant through my bank, and you willl find the existing parts you've sent me at the Ballarat tip if you want to go collect them ('cos I'm sure as hell not paying postage to get them back there).

If your still getting nowhere time to visit the premises (at lunchtime or late in the afternoon when people picking up/dropping off cars). Do you block and let EVERYONE in the street know what a theiving b@stard the guy is. Tell anyone dropping the car off your story and suggest they tell all there friends not to come here either.

He'll probably shut up shop straight away, tell him you'll see him at the same time tomorrow (and the day after, and day after that etc). Then when your leaving casualy remark "I wonder how much the tires/lights/windscreens are worth on the cars parked around here ........ ". What ever you do don't actualy come back and damage them, but it'll give him a LOT to think about

Betcha he's falling over himself backwards to help you out in no time. If they threaten you, it's time to get the cops there ... Nothing like having the cops turn up at a bussiness a few days in a row to scare customers away

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Are we hearing both sides of the story?

One woman who bought my car rang up the next day and told me that I'd sold her a dud and that the A/C was not working. (lets ignore the fact that there are no warranties in a private sale) She was going to send her brother around to rough me up ...blah blah.. yelling etc.
    I asked her if the AC button was on. She said "Do you thing I'm effing stupid, of course...blah blah".
    I went around to her place. Copped more abuse. Started the car, pushed the A/C button and there was cold air.

I say don't be to quick to judge or criticise when you only have half the story.

We all see thing from our own point of view. And sometimes we fail to recognise our own mistakes.

I have been dealing with a non genuine parts supplier in Brisbane (there aren't that many) for about 10 years. And I nearly always get exactly what I want first time. Usually the things that are wrong are wrong coz I described them wrong.

One I rang City Peugeot and Regans looking for a part. No longer available.
    The Brisbane guy had it 24 hours later.

The part looked different. But it had been superseded. The head bolts that are the subject of this story may have been slightly different and been a supersession. We'll never know.

So lets not slag off at people. It really detracts from this forum.

I have dealt with most if not all of the peugeot peoples in brisbane.

They all seem to have done okay by me, its the repairs where I have been let down.

Know what you want, try to avoid the word "thingy" and get the parts manuals if U can. Quoting part numbers has helped me on occasions.

Always helps to know what you are after before u dive in, Knowing the new price for a part also helps when getting second hand parts.

Be brave, if they sell u a dud, make sure that they know it.

The bad parts/person register is a mistake i feel. This is a positive place, plug the good, deal with the bad. Con artists are the exception.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

The point I was trying to make was that for every problematic business transation (in every scenario, not just for froggies) there's two or more that are positive. Since using the other businesses I mentioned, all has worked fine and would recommend them to anyone looking for a reliable pug wrecker. Insert warm fuzzy references to glass being half full, not half empty.

boy are we off topic! Scott do you plan to sell the car still?
    Last edited by Liam Wishart; 31st December 2003 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Grey
    Are we hearing both sides of the story?

One woman who bought my car rang up the next day and told me that I'd sold her a dud and that the A/C was not working. (lets ignore the fact that there are no warranties in a private sale) She was going to send her brother around to rough me up ...blah blah.. yelling etc.
    I asked her if the AC button was on. She said "Do you thing I'm effing stupid, of course...blah blah".
    I went around to her place. Copped more abuse. Started the car, pushed the A/C button and there was cold air.

I say don't be to quick to judge or criticise when you only have half the story.

We all see thing from our own point of view. And sometimes we fail to recognise our own mistakes.

I have been dealing with a non genuine parts supplier in Brisbane (there aren't that many) for about 10 years. And I nearly always get exactly what I want first time. Usually the things that are wrong are wrong coz I described them wrong.

One I rang City Peugeot and Regans looking for a part. No longer available.
    The Brisbane guy had it 24 hours later.

The part looked different. But it had been superseded. The head bolts that are the subject of this story may have been slightly different and been a supersession. We'll never know.

So lets not slag off at people. It really detracts from this forum.

If I was writing to "slag" anyone I would have put there name in woudn't I? Sure there are always too sides to the story and I invite the unsaid person to speak up, I am sure he would read this forum and then everyone would know who he is. His side of the story was "but that was the part number listed". well I wasn't buying part numbers I was purchasing parts that's why I gave the description including number and length, which he never even checked.(the bag was unopened) I am sure James you don't believe having a car off the road for 9 weeks is OK when the only reason is the parts supplier was dragging his feet and also sending the wrong parts. I made over 20 phone calls to this person to hurry them up and not once was I rude, even now I haven't abused him, I would like to but whats the use. People like that are used to it and obviously don't care. This unnamed person even had the hide to complain to me that the bag was ripped when I returned the parts. I spent over $600 that first time and my best coarse of action is, to not deal with him again.

I only mentioned it as a sideline, to why I was considering selling the car, not as a new topic.

Thanks Ray for the generious offer, I will consider it. As for the gearbox I believe the previous owner had done some work to it not that long ago, bearings I was told. The air conditioning is still on the old gas, but works well at present. The air no doubt will have to be done some time soon.

I am still undecided about the car, what does everyone believe they are worth. I know it is hard without seeing the car but generally. There is one in TAS at present for sale for $7500 with mid 200K I think.

I am not going to waist anyones time buy asking an unrealistic amount if they are not worth it, nor am I going to sell it for only a few grand if that is all they are worth. I may as well keep it for that amount, because I have spent more on it than that in the last few months.

Thanks everyone for there comments, I certainly didn't want to cause any friction, just telling it like it is.
    cheers
    Scott

Thread Information