504 Wagon Wanted
  • Help
    Tadpole

504 Wagon Wanted

Hi,
    We're looking for a healthy 504 wagon in the SEQLD or NNSW area.
    Can anyone suggest where on the web I can find a buyers guide or similar? Or suggest what years/engines/gearboxes are better than others ? Have conversions to 505 TD engines been successful?
    Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi David,

This recent thread on 504/505 mods may be of some use to you with what engines/gearboxes etc are better than others.

Hope it helps you.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/For...ML/000089.html

Chipper

David,

There was only one gearbox available in the 504 wagon in Australia. That was the 4 speed version of the BA7 gearbox. If you want to convert one to a 5 speed, the only 5 speed which will fit a wagon is the BA7 5 speed.

Sometime around about 1980 (I'm not sure of the exact year or month) the gearshift mechanism on the 504 wagon was improved, before this they tended to jump out of gear over bumps and the gear change was too long with too much leverage which allowed heavy handed people to damage the gearbox by forcing it into gear when it didn't want to go in. The late gearshift is recogniseable by the fact that the centre console looks just like a 504 sedan console and gearshift. Earlier wagons had a big long truck style gear stick.

The engines made from 1979 onwards generally (but not always) have more power than the 1976-1978 engines (although the pre-75 engines have just as much, but wagons weren't available here then).

John Geremin form the NSW Peugeot club has a 504 wagon with a 505 2.3 litre turbo diesel and automatic box. The conversion isn't hard, although I don't think you can use the turbodiesel with the BA7 5 speed. The BA10 5 speed from the 505 turbo diesel sedan won't fit in the wagons without alot of extra work. This means that you have a choice of either the BA7 4 speed manual or the automatic.

Generally, look for 504 wagons made from about 1979 or later (they were sold here until 1983).

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
    Dave McBean
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

If you want to contact John Geremin, to ask him about 505 turbodiesel engines in 504 wagons, or 504 wagon info in general, his email address is:
    megajohn@sneaker.net.au

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

David,

For what it's worth, I was considering a 504/5 especially in wagon form prior to deciding to stick with the devil I know (ie) a CX Citroen. There have been a few for sale in SE Qld which is where I am & NNSW Ballina/Byron area for some time now. I have found them on the "Trading Post online" "Checkout classifieds" & the Personal Trading Post. If you have any problems finding them, just reply to that effect & as soon as I can I will post the URL's

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information