504 problem
  • Help

Thread: 504 problem

Tadpole

504 problem

hi
    My 504 seems to be spraying a little oil when driving. I assume this as the underside of the bonnet(in the middle) has oil on it. This in turn covers parts of the engine which drips onto the driveway. Any suggestions or help?
    Thankyou.

Advertisement

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    I'll assume you are disgusted with it and are offering it for sale; in which case I'll give you $5 for your 504. That's if you are in Sydney, of course.

con.....

Shane,

It's probably coming out the timing cover, behind the front pulley, probably because there is too much pressure in the sump and the gas can't escape. Take your oil filler cap off and remover the gause iin the oil filler. Then remove the gause in the cap (if you can - on some it's difficult). This will let your crankcase breath properly and most likely alot of the oil coming out the front. The problem is cased by the fact that the gause gets very blocked with old age. You don't need the gause in the filler, although the piece in the cap is a good idea to retain. As my father says "the gause is just to stop Arab taxi drivers from pooring rocks in when they put old oil in the engine."

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

You say 'spraying oil'... do you mean literally spraying it?

If so, maybe a crack in the oil line at the back of the head? That would be an easy fix... or if it's just loose?

Thread Information