Looking for 205 GTI
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Looking for 205 GTI

Hey all I'm looking into a 205 for a first car. I don't want to pay upwards of 10K for a series two model, but rather I would be willing to spend approx. 8K and under for preferably an 88 or 89 model. I want a car that is in pretty good nick with no major engine problems or body problems. If anyone is selling their 205 or knows anyone who is selling a 205 which meet the criteria please post a reply to this, it would be much appreciated. BTW I am in Sydney.

Cheers

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Chris,

Good choice of car for your first mate, you will be spoilt forever now

Have a look at :

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/For...ML/000078.html

Might be up your alley.

Chipper

The thought of the insurance costs for a 205GTi as a first car is pretty scary!

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    Dave,

I reckon a Barina GSi would set them back more.

Ok, so I have a rating 1 and I am over 30, but I pay a dollar a day to insure my 205.(and thats not just cause i work for an insurance co) The cars that cost a bit more are the cars that are more commonly modded, Corolla GTi's, Barina GSI's, Pulsar SSS's and the like.

Prolly wouldnt get much change out of a grand for a young fella, but the 205 (at my work) is not regarded as a high risk car, even tho it would prolly see most of the above mentioned cars off.

My 2c

Chipper

[This message has been edited by Chipper (edited 21 August 2001).]

Phasis
    Rating 1....funny stuff, your pic in the members gallery sure dont look like it

I got rating 1 this month at only 24, and spent 5 years on 3rd party fire and theft, however I dont rate myself that high either.

In 1995, when I was 23, I was quoted $1200 by the NMRA to insure a 1985 model Renault Fuego (even though I have a completely clean record), so I decided not to buy it. I only have 3rd party property on my 504. It costs me $140 per year. Seeing as I already have a spare of every panel, and 504s are cheap, I can't see any reason to comprehensively insure it. If it was a hatchback or a wagon, though, I'd comprehensively insure it, since a rear ender causes serious structural damage to those body styles.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

well I've tried a couple of times to get quotes for insuring a car I intend to buy (just to see what it's going to cost me). None of my cars are fully insured due to the fact the premiums are bloody rediculous, and if I get hit by someone uninsured I'm insured for that up to about $3500 (from memory). When I was under 25 (2years ago) I was getting STUPID quotes like $1500+ a year to insure an old 78 CX2400. Absolutly ludicrous, they can stick those quotes where the sun don't shine, obviosly all the companys that treated me like shit back then(and refused to even insure me), don't get my bussiness now.

You see the problem is when you mention 'Citroen' and 'turbo' in the same setence the person at the other end of the phone tends to have a stress attack and want to get rid of you off the phone asap.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Craziest thing of all is that they go to the cops and see how often you've been booked for double parking and creeping over the line at a stop sign... etc.

Don't ask if you've had any crashes, though.

i couldn't get insurance for a 205gti when i was 18 a few years ago.
    they didnt acknowledge that there was the early version with less power and therefore insisted it was too powerful blah blah
    i had quotes of over $6000 for my mi16 back then and it was completely standard.
    i pay a 1/4 of that now with all mods covered haha

Andreas

Ok I'm 18 years old and I realise that the price of insurence on a 205 GTi is going to be bloody expensive for full comprehensive. So I'm either going to get 3rd party insurence on the car or get my dad or mum to register it under their names and put me as a casual driver. Simple solution for my situation. BTW, does anyone know about 505 GTi turbos? Some info on these beasts would be brilliant.

Cheers

Chris

You're not a Cooke of the Bill, Gloria, Denis and Gary Cooke family are you?

have some pics here of Gloria's...

Ok I'm 18 years old and I realise that the price of insurence on a 205 GTi is going to be bloody expensive for full comprehensive. So I'm either going to get 3rd party insurence on the car or get my dad or mum to register it under their names and put me as a casual driver. Simple solution for my situation. BTW, does anyone know about 505 GTi turbos? Some info on these beasts would be brilliant.

Cheers

Chris

probably not. my dads name is denis and he posts on this forum but i don't think i'm related to a gloria or bill!

Hey Chipper,

i would be interested to know where i can get change from a grand for comprehensive on a 205. i have a clean record in fines and accidents and nrma and gio want more than 2 grand. aami won't touch me. third party property only, just immobilise the thing every time i leave it somewhere and try not to hit a porsche. 205 makes a good first car but they need looking after.

shoj.

Chris,

I think you mean the 505 Turbo Injection. It's not called a GTi, although they share suspension and other specs. If you want info on the 505 Turbo, go to my website and check out the Chrysler/Simca engine section and the links page. My website is at:
    http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/...l?997061496590

I've got some pictures of the 505 Turbo engine in my pictures section, and I'll be adding some cross-sections, etc, soon.

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Phasis
    Wow, some of those premiums are HUGE, I only payed $850 when i got my S16 in December, and it has gone down to under $700 now at 24.

My 205 was HEAPS cheaper to insure in Brisbane.
    Down here the premium was greatly increased, like by 75% or something

Yeh thats the one Dave. Thanx for the info on it.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!
    shoj,

Easy mate, move to QLD

Like GibGib has said, NSW/Vic can be outragiously expensive to insure a car, hell, even owning a car down there is over the top expensive. Like I said, i get my comp cover for $366 a year.

Shane,

Cits can be exy to insure for other reasons as well, like if someone damaged suspension components and the like, they can be exy to repair, hence a high price. I would rather pay a little more for my cover if it means i can drive a Pug over a Kingswood

Chip

Hi Guys,

I can't believe how much some of you pay for insurance. Hell, I have never paid more than $3500 for a car (most of them were about $500) so paying several thousand a year to insure them is BS. $6000 a year, so much for the insurance companys saying there "insuring the driver, not the car", what a load of bull.

You guys are paying more to insure cars than all my cars put together cost!!!

seeya,
    Shane L
    PS: You don't want to see how bad my cars are I guess
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I second that... my 504s have cost more than my old 404s cost, but I still don't pay much for my cars and it would be an affront to pay insurance at anything like those levels..

Who do they think they're kidding?

Fellow Frogger!
    Just try to remember the car's value is of little consequence unless its a write off, its repairs that are one of the main factors in producing a bill. Age, location, history are others that can be "worth" more of the premium than the car is.

You would want the car repaired correctly, yes?

Chip

Hi Chipper,

to comprehensivly insure a GS pallas I was quoted just over $1000. Sure parts might be hard to get, but an immaculate GS is lucky to bring $3000. And I'd put ANY amount of money on the fact if I had an accident of any sort they'd try an right it off saying the value of the car is $200. Though they'll want $1000+ a year for insurance. I don't care what excuses they use, it's Bullshit. If I bent the front bumper, repairs maybe $300, with your excess wouldn't even be covered, yet if the bill came to say $800 which seems to be the standard excess amount, they'd right it off saying the cars only worth $200. See where I'm coming from??

As far as I'm concerned they can all stick there insurance where it fit. It's not a Porshe I'm trying to insure, it's an old car that will NEVER get stolen.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!
    I certainly see your point, I also insure a car.

But to look at it from the other side, an insurance company has to collect premium to cover the risk. Its fiddly repairs that can contribute towards that. Thats why a 3 grand Pallas would cost more to cover than a 3 grand Kingswood.

I see your point tho Shane, sometimes it makes no sense at all.

Chip

Insuring my 504 comprehensively isn't worthwhile, even though it would only cost about $350 per year. Basically after three years I would have paid what the car is worth just insurance. The $140 (for over 25 living in a country area with clean record) third party property insurance from NRMA is great value and if the accident is someone elses fault they cover my car up to about $3000 or the value of the car (whichever is less). If the car was smashed so badly that I couldn't drive it, I'd go out and buy another sub-$2000 504 straight away (or as soon as a reasonable one came up), otherwise I'd just repair it myself.

The 404 I had got smashed in 1991. There was about $4500 worth of damage. The accident was someone elses fault (actually I was nowhere near my car, my flatmates borrowed it) and the other person's insurance had to pay. They were with the NRMA and I took my car to get valued by the NRMA valuer. Luckily he took my original $2500 receipt for the car as the correct value. I got the $2500 cheque from the NRMA, went straight out and bought a MIG welder and paint for less than $1000 and fixed the car myself. Luckily I had another 404 which I cut the rear panel and rear quarter panel off to do the repairs. I also had spare lights, bonnet and other stuff. Basically I earnt about $1500 out of that smash.

One year later to the month, someone else smashed into my car while it was parked. I was actually in the car, and about to get out. Luckily I was still in the car otherwise he might have hit me. He was in a Suzuki 600/800 Hatch and it was a mess back to the windscreen. My car just had a dent in the rear quarter (the same one I replaced the year before) and bumper and a cracked taillight. There was $700 damage done to my car. I got the cheque for $700 from the other guy's insurance company and pocketed the entire amount, because I still had the equipment and enough paint left from the year before to fix it. Luckily the rear quarter was repairable this time and didn't need replacing.

Basically, just having 3rd party property insurance, has served me very well. Before I was 25, it used to cost me $200 per year, although I've heard recently that it now costs as much as $700 to get 3rd party property insurance for a 17 year old living in Sydney.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information