F/S 1996 Xantia 2.0i auto wagon
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pottsy
  • 1 Post By pottsy

Thread: F/S 1996 Xantia 2.0i auto wagon

Default F/S 1996 Xantia 2.0i auto wagon

OK, the time has come to part with Zaphod the Xantia. He's a mixture of good, bad & ugly, but that's only to be expected in a car that's covered 268,000km.

Advertisement

When I bought him the previous owner handed over a file detailing everything that had been done to the car since it left the showroom, and I've got pretty detailed listings of everything I've done since.

In recent times, as in over the past two or three year of my ownership, he's had lots of niggly things replaced or repaired. There are many pluses as follows:
    Spheres: good. New fronts two years ago, rears checked fine and accumulator checked in spec as well.
    Hydraulics: Good. Complete LHM change last year, pump replaced with a good spare (unnecessarily as it turned out) suction hose replaced and strut returns also replaced/repaired. Rides like a hydraulic Citroen should.
    Brakes: Had new discs when I bought it (68,000km ago) and I've just replaced the front pads and adjusted the handbrake. Stops straight and true. Silly spring modified with a rubber plug for better feel.
    Suspension: Left hand tierod replaced. Front end checked and aligned. Drives straight and true. The strut tops were replaced with the new design ones before I bought the car, and show no signs of deterioration at present.
    Tyres: Half worn, but still grippy. 5 mag wheels with good spare.
    Electricals: Ignition switch replaced. Alternator reconditioned. Starter motor reconditioned. Fuse box replaced with one that has all the potential dry joints re-soldered. (Fixed a few niggles!) Headlamp relays fitted. Central locking kit fitted. Heater blower fan is working at present, has been replaced with another one before and has the relay conversion fitted.
    Gearbox: ZF 4HP14 which is silky smooth. Has regular fluid changes each time with Nulon G60 added. One of the best ones you're likely to drive.
    Engine: Smooth and quiet, but is beginning to use a little bit of oil between changes. Doesn't blow smoke at all. Returns a regular 10km/litre (30mpg to us old blokes) around town and better on a long drive. This translates to an easy 600km range per tank.

Accessories are few, but useful. The factory roofracks, the abovementioned wireless central locking and a Pioneer stereo unit with bluetooth. Also has a towbar and wiring (50mm ball, 8 pin flat socket).

The things that I know about that need fixing:
    Bottom engine mount is looking soft and needs replacement.
    LH inner driveshaft boot is torn.
    There are a few minor leaks around the engine and gearbox that I simply haven't traced yet.
    Tailgate struts are fine on level ground but not as strong as they should be.
    The windscreen is scratched from a dodgy wiper blade that I didn't notice until too late.

The bodywork is straight, but the paint is not. The big hailstorm in Melbourne a few years ago left a number of pock marks behind, particularly on the bonnet. The Australian sun has also taken its toll on the clear coat as well, so overall the paint isn't pretty. (It's dark blue). The well documented issue with cracking of door hinges on Xantia wagons doesn't seem to be happening on this one. Doors hang straight and there's no sign of cracking anywhere.

Interior is shabby, but not torn. Seats are comfortable and all the adjustments work.

I'd like to think I've painted a fair picture of the car. It still drives beautifully, despite its faults, but there comes a time when one has to move on. A good, straight honest car.

Anyone care to offer me $1500 or so? I'm open to reasonable offers. Obviously without RWC or registration.

The worst case scenario is that I drive it to the scrappy and take the scrap value along with the plates and walk away, but that would be a sad end to a good car.

So over to you, the Froggy Community. I look forward to enquiries via PM.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Last edited by pottsy; 27th August 2014 at 09:19 PM.
    dieseldo likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned International Traveller
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

OK, here are some pictures. Appeal to anyone for $1000 as is? (No reg or RWC)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F/S 1996 Xantia 2.0i auto wagon-xantia-front.jpg   F/S 1996 Xantia 2.0i auto wagon-xantia-rear.jpg   F/S 1996 Xantia 2.0i auto wagon-xantia-bonnet.jpg   F/S 1996 Xantia 2.0i auto wagon-xantia-clear-coat-fading.jpg  
    dieseldo likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

C'Mon! Someone must need a good parts car?

I've been as up front as I can on the condition of this car, but I've been still driving it almost daily for the past few weeks and it's still an excellent drive, just needs TLC rather than being scrapped.

Make me an offer!

Needs to go now that I've got the C5 sorted. There's only so many cars I can accommodate on one suburban block!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

OK, how about $800 and I'll deliver it pretty much anywhere in Victoria? (And leave with the plates in my pocket)
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

I can't believe no-one needs a parts car for just over scrap value.

Never thought I'd say this but it looks like Zaphod is off to the scrappy. Last chance, make me an offer just over scrap value and I'll deliver the car (in Melbourne at least) and walk away with theplates.

Best offer?
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

OK. Definitely the last chance to get a parts car, complete and running, for scrap value.

Someone with a Xantia must need this. It's sad to think of it going into the crusher, but that's where he's headed in the next few days unless there's a "last minute call from the Governor" type reprieve.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Thread Information