Renault 16
  • Help

Thread: Renault 16

Icon5 Renault 16

Any Renault 16's about? Or have they all vanished.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite
    Any Renault 16's about? Or have they all vanished.
    Very few escaped the ravages of the rust bug and the perils of perished suspension bushes. Those that have survived seem to have loving homes.....

Are you considering offering something for very short coffins Mort?

Bit of a lft over the back though!
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Very few escaped the ravages of the rust bug and the perils of perished suspension bushes. Those that have survived seem to have loving homes.....
    Hmm... too bad. Well ok, so any suggestions for the next best thing to an R16?

Hmm... too bad. Well ok, so any suggestions for the next best thing to an R16?
    Is there such a vehicle?? :-)

Fellow Frogger!

Is there such a vehicle?? :-)
    Having owned several 16s, and loving them, a 5 speed 20 is superior in virtually every respect IMHO. The 20 is not highly regarded as it has no nostalga factor. I had the opportunity to drive a near mint 16 a short time ago and whilst a fabulous car, even today, after driving the 16 at about 8/10ths I can't think of anything about it that is better than the 20 that I had stepped out of and stepped back into. Like the 16 (probably worse) there are not to many good 20s around. As for the autos both are grossly inferior to the manual and are not recommended by yours truly.

Tadpole

Icon12 R16

Found the following in the classic/vintage section of the trading post site while browsing.....might be a lead here for a project????

Renault 16 TS 1976, mech exc, body good, near RWCond, eng: 704040107809. $500 (03)51696750 Boolarra.

Renault 16 TL, 1971 white hatchback, drives well, reg til March04, (RLE-113) $500 (03)95705678 Bentleigh E.

Renault 16 TS Special Edition 1976, auto, fair condition, good restorer, $850 MENINDEE 08-8091 4425.

Renault Dauphine 1960 red, sedan 750cc 4sp manual, 25000kms, unfinished project, reluctant urgent sale 686563 GC $750 (03)57841154 broadford.

No idea what these are like.....

Hey, those 76' 16 ts's don't sound too bad....

Re the 16 vs 20....

The 20 is better at many things (notably highway cruising in the 5spd, and much lighter steering in PS models),
    but it just feels so heavy and large by comparison......although performance figures between a manual 20 and 16ts are pretty similar, on the road a good 16 TS feels perkier just about everywhere, the 20 never seems to quite get over it's weight.....

Call me crazy, but i'd also take a 16 TS dash/interior over the 20s (s1 or 2) too, regardless of how much better the 20s worked
    I'd rather take the 16s column shift too

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DTwo

Re the 16 vs 20....

The 20 is better at many things (notably highway cruising in the 5spd, and much lighter steering in PS models),
    but it just feels so heavy and large by comparison......although performance figures between a manual 20 and 16ts are pretty similar, on the road a good 16 TS feels perkier just about everywhere, the 20 never seems to quite get over it's weight.....

Call me crazy, but i'd also take a 16 TS dash/interior over the 20s (s1 or 2) too, regardless of how much better the 20s worked
    I had forgotten about the column shift, it certainly is smooth. Regarding anyone considering a 16TL, the TL is almost a seperate car to a TS, while the performance adequate rather like a Datsun 1600, it will not come near a TS. On the plus side the fuel economy is around 40mpg on the highway and about 35 mpg around town a TS maxes out at about 32mpg in cruise mode.

Mort,

You should contact Mike Neil in Canberra as he has a few good R16 floating about in his backyard.

I think we met about 18 months ago at IKEA Blacktown, while easily fitting some shelving units in the back of Mike's 16TS which wouldn't have fitted in my R12 wagon. So they are a great car for carrying long and awkward shaped loads.

Renweave
    1976 Renault 12 1.4 wagon (Bright yellow)
    1998 Peugeot 306 XSi (white) (past)
    2006 Peugeot 307 XS HDi Touring (dark grey) (past)
    2018 Peugeot 308 HD BlueHDi Touring (Platinum Grey) (current)
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Mixte bicycles
    1970s Peugeot folding bicycle
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Gents bicycles
    Other French bikes (Gitane and Motobecane)

1000+ Posts

You're not crazy. I agree, and I'm quite sane.

You guys in the East are lucky. There aren't even resto job 16's for sale in the West. And JohnW won't sell his, so I'm hatching a cunning plan to steal it at the next French Car Day....OOPS!

Re the 16 vs 20....

I'd pick a 16 over a 20 anytime, even if it does mean missing out on the aircond it just seems the much more involving car to drive.

Beware of those 1976 16's, many of them used recycled East European steel in the body, so the proportion of rusty late model (post 1976) 16's is greater than earlier ones. The pick of the years is pre 1970 (pre Electrophoresis) although lots of these are rusty too, but overall they rust less. And post July 1974 to late 1975, these dates are post sorting the electrophoresis process and pre French Steel strike. But given the age of the 16 all are subject to rust more or less unless, it has been very well maintained. Check front chassis rails, floors, sills, scuttles etc.

Other things to note are suspension bushes, which by now are pretty well shagged on most models. Fixing them is a hassle and can be expensive, OE rear suspension bushes are few and far between.

I'd pick a 16 over a 20 anytime, even if it does mean missing out on the aircond it just seems the much more involving car to drive.

Beware of those 1976 16's, many of them used recycled East European steel in the body, so ..........a hassle and can be expensive, OE rear suspension bushes are few and far between.
    I will need to do some looking at what this R20 looks like. I know the R16's by sight.
    Yes that meeting of flat packed furniture (IKEA) was another reason to look again at the R16. Even though my DS is more than capable...... off to search the internet for R16 & R20 images.

I will need to do some looking at what this R20 looks like. I know the R16's by sight.
    Yes that meeting of flat packed furniture (IKEA) was another reason to look again at the R16. Even though my DS is more than capable...... off to search the internet for R16 & R20 images.
    A good Series 2 20 (later dash, five speed manual) would be a fairly inexpensive runabout for carting odds and ends. Just see if the swishing of the power steering pump gets annoying when turning corners, it seems a normal trait. As usual check for rust in floor, scuttle, guards (front and rear edge), for steering rack leaks and driveshafts, driveshaft boots and see that the central locking still works (key in door only, not remote). Not as many electrical gizmos as a 25, and they seem to hold their value better for that reason.

Also cambelt needs to be changed every 100,000k's.

One thing I keep forgetting! These cars (and 16's) have an all alloy motor, so maintaining a decent quality coolant is important as corrosion and the associated hassles because of the corrosion can occur. Also some 20's have an alloy radiator core which seem very sensitive to coolant quality. Poor quality coolants seem to corrode it quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16-r20.jpg  
    Last edited by Simon; 22nd January 2004 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Tie knot in finger to remember

This Renault enthusiast's site

http://www.abc.se/~katriina

is also worth a look for Renault information and history.
    1976 Renault 12 1.4 wagon (Bright yellow)
    1998 Peugeot 306 XSi (white) (past)
    2006 Peugeot 307 XS HDi Touring (dark grey) (past)
    2018 Peugeot 308 HD BlueHDi Touring (Platinum Grey) (current)
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Mixte bicycles
    1970s Peugeot folding bicycle
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Gents bicycles
    Other French bikes (Gitane and Motobecane)

Fellow Frogger!

Browsing today's trading post stumbled upon the following:

RENAULT 16 TS Special Edition 1976, auto, fair condition, good restorer, $850 MENINDEE 08-8091 4425

A fair hike from Sydney, but at least you wouldn't have to worry too much about rust!

Regards
    Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D
    Browsing today's trading post stumbled upon the following:

RENAULT 16 TS Special Edition 1976, auto, fair condition, good restorer, $850 MENINDEE 08-8091 4425

A fair hike from Sydney, but at least you wouldn't have to worry too much about rust!

Regards
    Andrew
    Be assured an auto 16 is not a patch on a manual. I have owned both. The autos are reliable but not particularly smooth.

UFO

Just see if the swishing of the power steering pump gets annoying when turning corners, it seems a normal trait. .
    DS drivers (like Mort) live with the swishing sounds of hydraulic fluid oozing through the pipes. It tells us the car is alive and floating.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Why would anyone consider anything less than a DS ?
    Nothing else comes close

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    Why would anyone consider anything less than a DS ?
    Someone with an IKEA shelving unit collection might not agree.

Icon14

Yes mort go for a R16 or a R20. I personally love the R20 a great car in many ways to the 16 but nothing beats the R16 column shift. It works so well. That one in menindee could be a good one. You might want to contact the RCCNSW they might have one available thru the magazine. Contact craig bradney he will be of help....

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Yes mort go for a R16 or a R20. I personally love the R20 a great car in many ways to the 16 but nothing beats the R16 column shift. It works so well. That one in menindee could be a good one. You might want to contact the RCCNSW they might have one available thru the magazine. Contact craig bradney he will be of help....

do i take it you have actually driven a manual car daniel
    this really takes me by surprise
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Mort
    There is a TS for private sale in Swan Hill $900( engine has just been rebuilt) -can email you the details if you are still chasing. From the pic that I have it is a mid 70's (tombstone seats) in that classic surnburnt gold.
    Agree with others about the auto - you certainly know when it changes. I think they also fitted a smaller Weber on the auto as it doesnt have punch that the manual has and seems to run out of steam about 140kph.
    If I could off load mine I'd probably be going up to Swan Hill this weekend. Simply haven't the space for the van, a large trailer, the Feugo when it arrives and two 16's.
    Ron
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    but nothing beats the R16 column shift. It works so well. :
    I like the column shift too,but I did have one instance when the assembly, the steel tube bit that slides up and down, cracked and came off in my hand within twelve months of buying the vehicle new.

It can't have been a common fault as there weren't parts to be had on short notice and it didn't happen with the other three 16's I had. I ended up waiting 2 weeks for the part and in the meantime ended up buying a wreck to get my shiny trak blue pride and joy back on the road.

Ho hum nostalgia
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Fellow Frogger!

Don't know if it was a common problem but I think I fitted two yokes to the top end of the selector shaft on my teardrop 16. Never had the same problem with the TS, but did manage to cactus the box by trying to roll start that one in reverse.
    Ron
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Thread Information