Hi there,

Hoping someone may be able to help. I'm only new to the site. I have a 2003 Renault Clio which I purchased recently. Unfortunately when I previewed the car, it had a leak through a wiring harness on the passenger side of the block under the air intake - near a little black ramp (excuse my technically naming of the part ). I raised the issue with the seller, who mind you, had just spent $1700 at Ultratune doing the water pump, timing belt etc. He took the car back to Ultratune at my request who diagnosed the problem as residual oil from the service after two days of "running it on the hoist".

I purchased the car on the basis it was a residul oil leak (which sounded odd) and sure enough the leak is there still. Basically you start the car and it drips through the harness. I took it back to Ultratune three times to have it properly diagnosed yet after 4 days they told me a plate on the rear of the block. I gave up on them and took it to Renault themselves who diagnosed it as the thermostat housing and a nice $720 repair bill.

Like most people would, I sought a second opinion who quoted $160 or two hours labour if I was supplying the parts required myself (the housing and gasket). Renault quoted 4 hours but I figure they may be more reliable.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with this part/leak. My thought was being that it was diagnosed as the thermostat housing, wouldn't coolant be and issue rather than oil? I assume the houing connects to the block and that's where the oil comes into it (and gasket). As a first time Renault purchaser, I wanted to clarify before proceeding with the repair.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks muchly,

Matt

Advertisement