How do I fix and oil leak in a BA7/5 ??
  • Help

Default How do I fix and oil leak in a BA7/5 ??

How do I fix and oil leak in a BA7/5 ??

Advertisement

Seems to be coming out past one of the selector shafts. I've done a search and it seems that this is not uncommon, but I couldn't find any info on how to fix it.

...or is it just one of those things where it's a smaller, easier (cheaper?) job to replace the gearbox?

Binky.

Binky,

It's much more common to have oil leaks from the selector shafts in a BA7/4 than it is in a BA7/5, as the /4 has the selector shaft coming from the bottom of the housing, constantly leaking oil. New or reconditioned housings used to be available from EAI for the /4. I don't think I've seen any for sale for the /5.

Is there any play in the shafts? They could well just be worn out. You could always disassemble and sleeve them if it is a problem.

Virtually all disassembly of the gearbox requires it to be removed first. You can get the extension housing off in-situ if you remove the torque tube and tailshaft and, if it's a wagon or a 404, the rear gearbox mount. But it is a pain in the neck to try to get it back together in there, it requires some very careful twisting to get the selectors to all line up. I've done it, so it is possible, but there is a lot of swearing involved. Ever since, and in future, I have and always will remove the gearbox for any work that requires it to be disassembled.

I'm actually about to pull the gearbox from my 505 wagon. I will remove the engine and gearbox together as a unit rather than muck around between the engine and firewall trying to get to those pesky bolts there. I've long ago ruled out removing the gearbox alone unless I have a hoist, which I dont anymore.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

If your BA7/5 is leaking from the selector shafts you will need to replace the O rings that seal the shafts.

Remove the back half of the box and drive out the pin from the large shaft and slide the shaft out taking care to not loose the spring and top hats . Remove and replace the Oring.

The smaller shaft will need to be carefully marked before pressing it apart. replace the O ring and reassemble taking care to align the marks .

New O rings will be enough to over come any play in the shafts . The housings almost never wear enough to need sleeving.

If you dont want to remove the shafts etc , you could just mail the housing to me , I have a jig set up to reallign the levers.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

You could just ignore it and regularly check the gearbox level.
    The oil will preserve the undercarriage.
    Just hose it off for rego.....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Thread Information