PCV Vaccum pumps
  • Help

Default PCV Vaccum pumps

I've noticed a bit of talk lately about vacuum pumps to reduce crank case pressure.
    The big boys with their chevy V8's liberate quite a few ponies with these devices, but it's not that that aspect I'm interested in. Mind you if it does give any gain, bonus.

Fuego donks all seem to suffer two things in varying degrees.
    Oil leaks, and crank case oil contamination of the inlet.

A controlled system that actually parallels the motor's PCV needs as opposed to the existing fixed orifice PCV which works sort-of at idle and does nothing at full noise seems like it would kill two birds with the one stone.

I'm seriously thinking of fitting a pump and a proper oil seperator , as a handfull of $100's will buy a pump and a pressure regulator.The rest i can rig up from bits and bobs
    http://www.steveschmidtracing.com/mo...cuum-pump.html
    This should entirely do away with any of those annoying sump/rocker/shaft oil leaks.
    Anyone here ever done anything like this to their donk, or will I be an orphan for considering it.????

Jo

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I've noticed a bit of talk lately about vacuum pumps to reduce crank case pressure.
    The big boys with their chevy V8's liberate quite a few ponies with these devices, but it's not that that aspect I'm interested in. Mind you if it does give any gain, bonus.

Fuego donks all seem to suffer two things in varying degrees.
    Oil leaks, and crank case oil contamination of the inlet.

A controlled system that actually parallels the motor's PCV needs as opposed to the existing fixed orifice PCV which works sort-of at idle and does nothing at full noise seems like it would kill two birds with the one stone.

I'm seriously thinking of fitting a pump and a proper oil seperator , as a handfull of $100's will buy a pump and a pressure regulator.The rest i can rig up from bits and bobs
    http://www.steveschmidtracing.com/mo...cuum-pump.html
    This should entirely do away with any of those annoying sump/rocker/shaft oil leaks.
    Anyone here ever done anything like this to their donk, or will I be an orphan for considering it.????

Jo
    You could use an alternator off a diesel Jap van. These have a vac pump on the back of them

Just a thought?

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    You could use an alternator off a diesel Jap van. These have a vac pump on the back of them

Just a thought?
    Yes, I've read about people using that type of device, or a smog pump as it seems to be called in the US.

If I didn't have a spare V belt wheel at my disposal (on the very end of the group too), I'd be thinking along the lines of the combo unit, but I have a spare so to fit a proper unit is probably easier in the long run, and cheaper the day the alternator dies.

Jo

Administrator

When I converted my car to LPG I ran a hose straight from cam cover to the usually blocked 3/4 inch inlet on the air filter.

It lets in the pcv fumes on the filtered side of the intake.

I have absolutely zero oil leaks.

I have a feeling that as the engine builds up rpm, the pressure drop across the filter drops creates more vacuum the harder the engine revs and this sucks in more pcv fumes.

I haven't had any negative effects so far but will probably do something a little more permanent when everything else is done.

Thread Information