help with gti 180 rear beam
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crembz

Thread: help with gti 180 rear beam

Default help with gti 180 rear beam

Hi,

I've been trying unsuccessfully for the past 4 weeks to find someone to repair what seems to be a worn rear beam on a 2004 gti 180. Pedders have diagnosed the creaking noise as coming from the rear beam axle. They either don't know how or care enough to fix it.

I've been to 3 mechanics who are recommended on this forum who have said it's too big a job and that I should sell the car. Thay said the beam had to be resleaved or something ... I'm not a mechanic so I don't really know what that means. I haven't even been given a price for the repair ... nobody seems to want to do it.

Thing is I only bought the car 6 weeks ago and it's only done 80000ks :'( I checked a trade in price and I stand to loose about 5k if I go down that path. I really like the drive, but the noise the rear is making is insane.

I can't understand why it's such a big problem either ... there are tonnes of 206s on the roads here ... not exactly an uncommon vehicle or an uncommon problem with the vehicle. I understand the fix is about a GBP400 job in the UK. Why are we so special here?

Advertisement

Can anyone tell me where I should go to get this fixed. I'm starting to really run out of options.

Have you thought about looking interstate? There are a couple of ripper Peugeot people in Sydney. Have you approached Peugeot? Or Alpine Affaire?

Chris

As stated on here before, your beams bearings are worn out. They need replacing. Taking the car to more people to diagnose it wont actually change whats happening. The above mentioned people will be able to help. I would hate to know what Peugeot would charge for it.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I find it hard to believe that 3 recommended Peugeot workshops have advised you to sell the car rather than supply a reasonable quote to replace bearings on a rear beam.

As inconvenient as it may be in location try someone like Alpine Affair or bite the bullet and get it repaired by a Peugeot dealer. With the klm's you've done it should be a repair not total replacement.

Note to self ... go to Colin at Alpine Affaire straight away next time ... jobs done!! Wish I'd done it sooner.

The trailing arm bearing had collapsed completely. Got it sorted no fuss, car back on the road, very happy. The beam is slightly damaged but I was told it will hold up. Had a few other things wrong with the front end which got sorted too ... Think I found my Peugeot mechanic
    Berridale likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

This an area which will afflict many 206 cars soon.
    The dealers have no idea and just recommend parts that prolly won't fit .
    The two bearings sets i was offered were both the same despite the VIN .

However they don't carry them, i went down this path this week and had no joy.
    The journals are different sizes, 47mm and 50mm , some cars seem to have the smaller journal on both sides and some on the wrong side.
    I ended up stripping a low klm wreck and got as new bearings. Pity.
    The eventual problem is the journals on the main frame get scored.

Softer Chinese bearings makes sense.
    You can buy the bearings but replacing the journals is a bother.

Fellow Frogger mentioned the scratch test, no difference

VIP Sponsor

Are these the same set up as the 205 bearings which we have successfully worked on for years?
    It seems that if you can't fix something by plugging in a computer then it can't be fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    This an area which will afflict many 206 cars soon.
    The dealers have no idea and just recommend parts that prolly won't fit .
    The two bearings sets i was offered were both the same despite the VIN .

However they don't carry them, i went down this path this week and had no joy.
    The journals are different sizes, 47mm and 50mm , some cars seem to have the smaller journal on both sides and some on the wrong side.
    I ended up stripping a low klm wreck and got as new bearings. Pity.
    The eventual problem is the journals on the main frame get scored.

Softer Chinese bearings makes sense.
    You can buy the bearings but replacing the journals is a bother.

Fellow Frogger mentioned the scratch test, no difference

Not quite, Graham - the bearings are pressed on either side of the trailing arm assy and the rear beam contains the shaft the bearings ride on.

Other than that, the ARB and torsion bars look very similar.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

VIP Sponsor

Doesn't sound good, not replaceable like the 205.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Not quite, Graham - the bearings are pressed on either side of the trailing arm assy and the rear beam contains the shaft the bearings ride on.

Other than that, the ARB and torsion bars look very similar.

Thread Information