XU10J4 engine rebuild
  • Help

Default XU10J4 engine rebuild

I've decided to rebuild an engine this time before fitting it my mi16! I'm wondering what should be done? Big end bearings for sure, will it need maine bearings? Head done up? ETC.
    Also I'm a 'P plater' so extra POWER would be great. I've heard of people using 88mm cranks (or something) so what are they out of? Series 1 Mi16?
    Cam regrinds is my next question? Is peterT the go?
    I'm making a budget of a grand (give or take) so will I be able to cover everything. Also I get below trade price and probably a free crank (if its series 1 mi16), so this helps.

Also if there is someone out there who can rebuild it, who's done it before, and would be willing to do for a reasonable price. Let me know!

Thanks Chris

Advertisement
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Stretch the budget a bit first.
    Head recon with new guides, ground valves etc is about 450
    If the block is ok for the std pistons (86mm) then that will only need a hone. Most likely a rebore will be needed and possibly oversize pistons. Otherwise source a good block from your "stock"
    The 88mm crank is a great Idea. Thats what ive done ( doing) and brings great results. Increased compression and more ccs. The only issue you may run into is pistons reaching above deck height. There are a few ways around this. You need XUD bearings to make the crank fit ( after you measure your crank and order the right size bearings)
    Bearings are about 250 + from memory. Gasket kits are about 400$ ( or lower for you )
    Cams exchange regrinds are well worth it especially with the higher compression. Not sure on Peter Ts pricing, I think they are about 175 exchange? His website will have details.
    There is always other things that will pop up, its all the little things that add up here and there. I would budget at least 2k.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Also,

timing belt, tensioners, head bolts etc

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Stretch the budget a bit first.
    Head recon with new guides, ground valves etc is about 450
    If the block is ok for the std pistons (86mm) then that will only need a hone. Most likely a rebore will be needed and possibly oversize pistons. Otherwise source a good block from your "stock"
    The 88mm crank is a great Idea. Thats what ive done ( doing) and brings great results. Increased compression and more ccs. The only issue you may run into is pistons reaching above deck height. There are a few ways around this. You need XUD bearings to make the crank fit ( after you measure your crank and order the right size bearings)
    Bearings are about 250 + from memory. Gasket kits are about 400$ ( or lower for you )
    Cams exchange regrinds are well worth it especially with the higher compression. Not sure on Peter Ts pricing, I think they are about 175 exchange? His website will have details.
    There is always other things that will pop up, its all the little things that add up here and there. I would budget at least 2k.

Cam
    Thank for your help and your PM I'll get back to that when I find out whats gunna happen!

I can probably find a good block, I have three to chose from, which are mine (not in stock). Whats the 88mm crank out of? I'm only guessing it to be series one mi16, and what benefits does it create?

As for your prices are they genuine? I paid nothing like that for the bearings I put in the first time, or the gaskets. I get really good prices even for the head work because of the trade, they help you out a lot when you need work and not being paid for it.

I think that the peterT cams will do great, do I get both or just intake?
    Or maybe not, since its a road car. Any thoughts? I'll do more of this type stuff when I do my series one, maybe even a turbo!

Cam85, I might be asking to much, but would you be able to make me a list of what I would need, then I can find my prices? If you don't want to thats fine.

Thanks Chris
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

I think you'll find the 88mm crank is out of the 2.1 diseasel (sic)

Nope, I think the 88mm crank comes from an XU9J4 engine....
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Yes 88mm is from the 1.9 MI16. Same as the 8v but is counter weighted.

Cav, get prices for everything ive mentioned. Also take into account who actually going to do the work. Im not saying your guys are no good, but you usually get what you pay for.
    Read this thread on the 205 drivers forum to understand whats involved in the crank conversion.
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...howtopic=30953

It takes the motor up to 2045cc i believe and also creates about 10.8.1 compression. Stage 2 inlet and stage 1 exhaust can be used but im sure PeterT can advise for your particular application.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

can you use the diesel crank? I thought I read some where that you could...

Yea i think so. It might actually be longer though? Not 100% sure. More mi16 cranks about me thinks too?

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Yes 88mm is from the 1.9 MI16. Same as the 8v but is counter weighted.

Cav, get prices for everything ive mentioned. Also take into account who actually going to do the work. Im not saying your guys are no good, but you usually get what you pay for.
    Read this thread on the 205 drivers forum to understand whats involved in the crank conversion.
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...howtopic=30953

It takes the motor up to 2045cc i believe and also creates about 10.8.1 compression. Stage 2 inlet and stage 1 exhaust can be used but im sure PeterT can advise for your particular application.

Cam
    Ok I calculate on all that you've mentioned.
    As for my guys, I'm not sure if I'll do the work myself or if my parts come out cheap enough I'll try your guy.

Would the 88mm crank make it worth wild with standard cams? Or shoud the whole lot be done?
    My other concern is should I just leave it all standard and use it just as a normal, reliable road car.

Thanks
    Chris
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

I think the XUD crank is 92mm...

generally, increased capacity would make the same cam/s milder, but with such a small increase, I'm not sure if it would make a notable difference... so I would say the stock cams would work fine. although considering the low cost of Peter T's cams, you'd be foolish not to upgrade while the engine is apart!

Its not just the increase in ccs that help but the high compression it produces too. Having higher compression make more torque and will be awesome with different cams. There are many benefits to the conversion. Not sure why more people dont do it..

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Thanks again, really appreciative of all the help.

So which big end bearing do I use with the 1.9 crank? and do the conrods need replacement or do the series 2 big ends fit with out a problem?
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Its not just the increase in ccs that help but the high compression it produces too. Having higher compression make more torque and will be awesome with different cams. There are many benefits to the conversion. Not sure why more people dont do it..

Cam
    Having more static compression means you can run bigger cams as you can afford to loose a bit of dynamic compression...

I would be very interested to see if you could run a 92mm XUD crank... does anyone know if they're fully counter balanced like the 86mm and 88mm cranks?

You can run the 92mm crank, a coupe of guys in the EU have done it. 2.3 and 2.4 mi16 etc. Its a lot of extra work getting ros and pistons to match etc.

Cav. Use the standard rods and pistons mate. The standard pistons fall nearly 1.7mm I believe below deck height, and so adding the 88mm crank brings them up to just over deck height by 0.3mm. Standard gasket is 1.3mm think so clearence is fine. Compression goes to about 10.9.1. Get XU9D bearings ( I think. Ill check tonight ) and go from there. Did you read the article?

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

You can run the 92mm crank, a coupe of guys in the EU have done it. 2.3 and 2.4 mi16 etc. Its a lot of extra work getting ros and pistons to match etc.

Cav. Use the standard rods and pistons mate. The standard pistons fall nearly 1.7mm I believe below deck height, and so adding the 88mm crank brings them up to just over deck height by 0.3mm. Standard gasket is 1.3mm think so clearence is fine. Compression goes to about 10.9.1. Get XU9D bearings ( I think. Ill check tonight ) and go from there. Did you read the article?

Cam
    0.3mm is mighty close, how much does a head skim take off? Because it will get one!!
    10.9.1 compression will need 98 octane fuel won't it?

Yes i read the article, well untill they started having a go at each other! It was the 1.9 405 diesel engine bearings yes?
    Which main bearings will it need? Standard or 1.9 mi16?
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

All xu9d beairings. Main thrust etc.

Dont skim too much off the head. Minimal if possible. Will need 98. Thats not such a bad thing. It will also fly....

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Cam
    article? sharing is caring, cam!

Post Number 7 Davo, Its on the 205 gti drivers site..

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

ahhh, got it... cheers.

Ok sorry about this annoyance (is that a word)!
    Is the XU9D the 1.9 405 turbo diesel? I think so but just veryfying it.

Will I be able to run he standard ECU system?

Thanks again, I hope it flies, I wonder how much power increase I'll be looking at!
    Last edited by cav91; 14th July 2011 at 09:53 AM.
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

yeah, I think you're right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_XUD_engine

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    I've decided to rebuild an engine this time before fitting it my mi16! I'm wondering what should be done? Big end bearings for sure, will it need maine bearings? Head done up? ETC.
    Also I'm a 'P plater' so extra POWER would be great. I've heard of people using 88mm cranks (or something) so what are they out of? Series 1 Mi16?
    Cam regrinds is my next question? Is peterT the go?
    I'm making a budget of a grand (give or take) so will I be able to cover everything. Also I get below trade price and probably a free crank (if its series 1 mi16), so this helps.

Also if there is someone out there who can rebuild it, who's done it before, and would be willing to do for a reasonable price. Let me know!

Thanks Chris

I have used chris at this place http://www.beyondthelimit.com.au/ for a few years now and all his work is A1 quality very very good. He is also re-building my mi16 series 2 at the moment

Let me know how you go as might do the same things to mine

Thanks tom

what's happening with this?

Haven't done much yet! I started pulling the engine ut of the donor car to rebuild it. It kept falling over from the heavy rain we've had, so I gave up for that day. Now i need to drag it to firmer ground and see how it goes!
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Thread Information