Front discs with Handbrake lever??
  • Help

Default Front discs with Handbrake lever??

Hi All,

I hope some one can help me.

I am looking for a car that has its handbrake operating on the front wheels. Eg. Citroen DS. It shouldn't be that big though. I would like to fit them to my race car on the back wheels so I do need something bigger than the stock Renault R8 calipers but fits inside a 13" rim. Something like a smaller Citroen Xantia maybe?

If some thing like this exsists, could you give me the caliper piston dia as well?

Advertisement

Regards

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Administrator

Saab 99 and possibly early 900.

This is a front caliper -

You can still buy them new/recoed - just google.

Had a 4wd Subaru Wagon with 13" wheels which had handbrake on front discs. This was the 1600 model without low range, before the Leone but I think front handbrakes were a characteristic of all Subarus of that era.
    Was always going to fit dual handbrake levers as even though the car was 4wd if one front wheel started spinning all wheels lost traction.
    Sorry can't help with dimensions.
    Did Subaru market over there?

Paul.

Thanks for that. It helps a lot when the variety gets bigger.
    Regards
    Frans

Default Handbrake Caliper !!

Hi Frans,
    I am using a Fiat 131 rear calliper. They are good size, work well on the handbrake, and fit in a 16TS carrier. If you Google them, they are available new all over the place in Europe.

Ray geckoeng
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Default Caliper

Hi Ray,
    I have heard that the Fiat caliper can be used on the back and the front the 16TS. Is it a straight swap over, as I am also think of upgrading.
    Is there a problem if you run these brakes without a booster?
    Angelo

Default Fiat Rear Calliper !!!

Frans/ Angelo,

Quick search, found in the USA :-

http://www.international-auto.com/in...9&posid=884120

They fit straight into the 16TS carrier. I did big brake conversions on 2 cars in South Africa before coming here, and my Off-Road single seater used them on the rear. They can be brake pressure proportioned if you get a slight imbalance. I used a Kombi 21mm master cylinder (dual), no booster.
    Ray geckoeng

Citroen BX has the handbrake on the front discs
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Hi Frans,
    I am using a Fiat 131 rear calliper. They are good size, work well on the handbrake, and fit in a 16TS carrier. If you Google them, they are available new all over the place in Europe.

Ray geckoeng
    Ray,
    My idea is as follows. I must have fronts. It looks like the piston diameter difference on a front engined, front wheel drive car is 1.5:1. Front piston is 1.5 times bigger than rear, plus a smaller diameter rotor as well but let us leave that out of the equation.
    On a rear engine rear wheel drive the difference is 1.2:1. Only 1.2 times bigger. That means that the rear wheels carrying more weight is used a lot more to assist in braking.

I now have 54mm pistons on the race car front. I need 45mm at the rear to be back to normal at 1.2:1. I know I will not find such big rear pistons (with handbrake) so that is why I am looking for fronts (with handbrake) to fit at the rears.

With front calipers I will get bigger than 45mm and my ratio will be out, but at least I can then bring it back to 1.2:1 with an adjustable brake bias valve to the rear wheels and so improve my braking and lap times even more.

My lap times improved by at least 1.5 seconds (actually more) with the 16TS brakes alone and I think with this mod it will be even more.

Regards
    Frans.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Tried a Sud??

Hi Frans

Not sure the stock versions had the right size for your needs but have a look at the Alfa Sud.

My old Ti had inboard front disks mounted to the gearbox. My early 1.3 had the Handbrake on the front and when they went all plastic arches they went to a rear handbrake.

They raced these little FWDs so a lot of tried solutions should be out there in the Web. I have a vague recollection of Comondore disc being used etc. The 33 had the same driveline but I can't remember if they were still inboard, I think not.

My pet hate ( I loved the little thing in the twisties ) was the uneven wear between front L & R pad sets.

Happy hunting

Sandgroper

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi All,

I hope some one can help me.

I am looking for a car that has its handbrake operating on the front wheels. Eg. Citroen DS. It shouldn't be that big though. I would like to fit them to my race car on the back wheels so I do need something bigger than the stock Renault R8 calipers but fits inside a 13" rim. Something like a smaller Citroen Xantia maybe?

If some thing like this exsists, could you give me the caliper piston dia as well?

Regards

Frans
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

Default Brakes

Hi Ray,

I want to be able to buy a brake package that will bolt straight on without mods.

R16TS parts don't grow on trees (I think) so I am happy to buy a kit to fit straight on.

The standard disk is 6.5", and for 8G is 7.5", which disk should I use with the Fiat caliper?

I am also finding that find alloys with 3 holes is next to impossible in Aust, and have heard that a 4 bolt conversion can be done. But where or who do I go to to get this work done for me, as having a "common" 4 bolt pattern opens up an array of alloy/tyre options?

Angelo

Default Brakes !!

Angelo,

You need to go back a few weeks and find all the brake conversation on "big brakes", tread opened by Frans,
    Ray geckoeng

Default Brakes

GOT IT.....it is fantastic!
    Thanks

Angelo,

You need to go back a few weeks and find all the brake conversation on "big brakes", tread opened by Frans,
    R8 Dream,

The brackets that I milled out of the alloy is available from MecaParts (I think). You would not need to make it and what I said about the RX7 Pads is not true. However, competition 16TS pads is available in the form of Ferodo 3000 for about NZ$180.00 and Pagid for NZ$140.00. I have the Pagid ones and it is looking good so far.

Regards
    Frans

Default Part Numbers !!

Hi Frans,

Would you by any chance have the Ferodo and Pagid part numbers for the premium pads???
    Ray geckoeng

Hi Frans,

Would you by any chance have the Ferodo and Pagid part numbers for the premium pads???
    Hi Ray,
    Yes, here they are-------FCP72R for the Ferodo and T0628 for the Pagid. Stock pads will be Bendix DB113.

Regards
    Frans

Default Brackets

Hi Frans,
    I have looked all over the Mecaparts website and cannot find these brackets anywhere.
    Can you please show me the link.
    Alternatively, in another post, someone talked about producing cad-cam drawings of these parts.
    Do you know if this was ever done and if so who has them?
    Thansk again
    Angelo

ditch the cable handbrake and use a hydro?

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Hi Frans,
    I have looked all over the Mecaparts website and cannot find these brackets anywhere.
    Can you please show me the link.
    Alternatively, in another post, someone talked about producing cad-cam drawings of these parts.
    Do you know if this was ever done and if so who has them?
    Thansk again
    Angelo
    I don't know if MecaParts haven't got who will have. I have not tried to buy any because I opted for the homemake option. Kiwia110 might know the answer to that one.--------------kiwia110 are you there?

Yes, I am sure the drawings will be available. It is DRTDVL doing it for us but he is waiting on me for some dimensions to finalise it. Looks like I will have to pull my finger out and send you those dimensions DRTDVL.

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
    ditch the cable handbrake and use a hydro?
    What is the cost and method involved with that? I know the rally guys have it but never did it myself.

Regards
    Frans

Not much or a lot depends on how you set it up.

Mine is an in-line setup meaning the handbrake is part of the regular braking system not a separate system. The master has an in and an out which sits in between the line from the front to the rear brakes so when you rip the handbrake it locks the rears, or when you push the foot pedal it works all brakes like normal as the fluid moves through the handbrake master.

Essentially you might need to run some new brake lines to the master for the hydro handbrake and then a new section from the master to the rear lines.

If you want to come and have a look at mine your more than welcome.

I think Brett (Burton Automotive) has a blue handbrake setup he was looking to sell so it would go well with your car..

Alternatively you can buy "handbrake calipers" like these (http://www.motorsport-tools.com/brak...ba87a506797935) and just run any brake you want.

Thread Information