205 gti cooling fans - which is hi/low
  • Help

Default 205 gti cooling fans - which is hi/low

gday, I was testing my cooling fans after getting my mi16 running.....again...and noted the drivers side fan started running flat out once it was up to temp. kept going until 3 minutes after shutdown. is the passenger side fan a low speed (which in this case im guessing is inoperative)?

Advertisement

cheers
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Default 205 fans

I totally rewired mine as I removed the air con so they were 50% operative any way.

The temp sender on the radiator house two temp sensors with three wires connecting to it. The first sensor switches on at 92 and the second switches at 97 (me thinks - correct me if I'm wrong)

I connected one fan to each (via relay of course) with manual overrides to both. Never missed a beat in city traffic, summer time in Queensland, although I did have to raise the rear of the bonnet to rid the extra heat from the Mi engine
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

is that the sensor which has a fairly big plug on it on the passengers side of the radiator? about 5-6 wires running out of it?

You have picked the right area but it should be a blue plug with three terminals. Should only be three wires. One 12v in and two out (switched at the two different temps)

As you can see by the pics, I took out the Peugeot fan relay box and made up my own with a few spares for lights and stuff.

When you pull it apart it will look like this -

and when it's finished

Go here if you want some more pics

http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/...pZZ13QQtppZZ20

Why did you choose thatmethod pugmonkey? Im just curious. How does it differ fom the standard setting, ie both fans on low speed at 92 and both fans on high speed at 97? I would have thought that having two fans on would cool more efficiently and the cycllying in and out wold be quicker?
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

When I removed the air con, for some reason (i did investicate it at the time but forget now) the fans would not operate at low speed as the condensor circuit was no longer there. Having done this change a few times before and being familiar with how well it worked, I just took the same path. One fan seems to be more affective when needed on hi speed, than two fans always on, on low speed.

And an over ride circuit is a must - Should be on every fan circuit as an emergency IMHO. What happens if there is a fault and the fans don't come on i the city centre on a hot day - Most cars dont even have a warning light to say they are not working.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    When I removed the air con, for some reason (i did investicate it at the time but forget now) the fans would not operate at low speed as the condensor circuit was no longer there.

AHA!! thats what ive done in my conversion, makes sense now.

do you know what alot of those other relays in that area are used for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-20...item3a48bb239b

oh is that the sensor? do you know the pinouts for it by any chance?

There is a box of three relays - two purple and one green although color can change from time to time. Purple switches the larger current and the green is a change over to run two fans at low speed.

Info - the change over relay alters the circuit by putting the fans in a series circuit for the two fans so that both fans run at a 6v supply (12v divided by two). When the relay is not energized, the fans run at 12v each. Clear as mud?

So as detailed, I took the entire circuit out and started from scratch rather than trying to work on with two different systems.

The sensor you show a link to will fit but it is not the one you have. That has two terminals kinda on or off. The one you already have will work fine, still should only have three wires coming out the rear of the socket.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    Clear as mud?
    As clear as it'll ever be thanks mate, that points me in the right direction

cheers, cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    As clear as it'll ever be thanks mate, that points me in the right direction

cheers, cameron
    although it still has 5 wires running out of a 3 pin connector, 3 going up into the car two which went to another relay which appeared to do nothing after a fair bit of testing. i'll look into it later

[QUOTE=PugMonkey;967775

And an over ride circuit is a must - Should be on every fan circuit as an emergency IMHO. What happens if there is a fault and the fans don't come on i the city centre on a hot day - Most cars dont even have a warning light to say they are not working.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!!! Good point

Interesing about the singly operating fans, i know that the uk 205s with no Ac only had one fan so the concept is factory approved i guess and in our hot climate you have the second fan too.
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Fellow Frogger!

hi all at aussiefrogs
    i drive a 205 1.9 GTI and i agree on this thread that the radiator fans do need an alert.
    A fan-failure warning-lamp is a fair enough suggestion.
    In my 205 the fans stopped when the radiator thermo-switch failed and is easy to replace.
    You're right there's a risk that it could overheat when the fans have stopped unbeknowns.
    The old Fan-belt predicament where you figure it out once the engine is billowing steam.
    Fans make a noise when they are connected and which is noticeable by its absence.
    I stuck hairpins in the plug of the switch to start the fans showing the rad-switch is at fault.
    However hi-speed only and running full-time would risk burning-out the electric fans.
    If the problem arises how long would these electric fans run flat-out before they would fail?
    One fan could be used until it failed then the second fan, how far could the car continue?
    Naturally fans can be off on a cold night but on a summer day fans would be essential.
    In emergencies you'd probably need to improvise a switch to turn the fans on manually as required and judged from reading the temp guage while driving or risk fan over-use damage.
    Thanks for your interest in my question.

Thread Information