505 SII Headlight Circuitry?
  • Help

Default 505 SII Headlight Circuitry?

Hi All,

As some of you know I just bought a great series 2 505 GTi for two halves of nothing. I want to get it registered, but there's one problem I have to fix first:

The LHS headlight / indicator stalk...

Indicators work fine, However,

When the headlights are off and I pull the stalk toward the steering wheel, the high beams illuminate / flash as expected. However, If I turn the headlights on and then pull the stalk towards the steering wheel, nothing happens, i.e. no high beams.

I've removed the underside cowling of the steering column and tried to follow the wires all the way through the engine bay right up to the headlights. I was expecting to find a relay at some point (which I haven't) but the fact that the high beams work when the lights aren't on has made me think that the problem lies in the stalk switch itself...

Any ideas? Any help appreciated

Binky

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Hi All,

As some of you know I just bought a great series 2 505 GTi for two halves of nothing. I want to get it registered, but there's one problem I have to fix first:

The LHS headlight / indicator stalk...

Indicators work fine, However,

When the headlights are off and I pull the stalk toward the steering wheel, the high beams illuminate / flash as expected. However, If I turn the headlights on and then pull the stalk towards the steering wheel, nothing happens, i.e. no high beams.

I've removed the underside cowling of the steering column and tried to follow the wires all the way through the engine bay right up to the headlights. I was expecting to find a relay at some point (which I haven't) but the fact that the high beams work when the lights aren't on has made me think that the problem lies in the stalk switch itself...

Any ideas? Any help appreciated

Binky

The switches wear and the contacts go dodgy. It's a mechanical wear issue.

At you own risk pull the switch apart and try to fix it. Don't do it on a dirt floor do it inside, over a table in a room with a hard floor.

'nuff said ?

Remove stalk....
    Contact cleaner and RP7...1 can of each......
    Squirt....squirt.....squirt....
    Exercise the action of the stalk while you are at it....

You most likley have a build-up of cr@p on the contact surfaces due to a lack of use.
    You might be lucky and rejuvinate the contacts...
    Failing that, put yourself inside a white, clean, bubble, without corners and a contained area of less than 2square yards. Dismantle as above and then spent the rest of the day looking for the bits that launch from the gizzards of the switch.
    Re-assembly is by guesswork and not the reverse.
    I have sucessfully done this but took the precaution of buying a spare prior to this operation, (sold with the car to Graham in Young, (Bill in Canberra might still have one as NOS)).
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Exercise the action of the stalk while you are at it....

Thanks Rob for your advice, but given the sealed nature of the unit, and the fact that both you and Gamma have indicated (no pun intended) that it can be a fiddly job, I've decided to first try Gamma's "exercise the stalk" approach.

I grabbed a can of Inox today (kinda like RP7 and contact cleaner in one) and will see how I go...

Binky.

Thanks Rob for your advice, but given the sealed nature of the unit, and the fact that both you and Gamma have indicated (no pun intended) that it can be a fiddly job, I've decided to first try Gamma's "exercise the stalk" approach.

I grabbed a can of Inox today (kinda like RP7 and contact cleaner in one) and will see how I go...

Binky.
    A clear plastic bag over both hands, then working inside it works pretty well.

1000+ Posts

Binky.
    If you get stuck, I think I still have a spare. I've sold both Series 2 0505s
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Thread Information