R5 Aline/Gordini Inlet Flange !!!
  • Help

Default R5 Aline/Gordini Inlet Flange !!!

Would any body out there have the dimensions for the inlet flange on the head of an R5 Alpine/Gordini. Same as the one below.

Thanks,

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R5 Aline/Gordini Inlet Flange !!!-rocker-cover.jpg  
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Default Inlet Flange

Hi Ray,
    I have R5 Alpine enine in my R8 that I am rebuilding.
    What dimension are you exactly looking for?
    See attached.
    Angelo

Default R5 A/G Inlet Flange !!

Hi Angelo,
    I require the dimension "X", between the 2 studs, centre to centre. And I would like you to to do a pencil "smear" from the flange face "Y" on one of your manifolds, onto a sheet of white paper, please.

May I ask where you got your manifolds?

Ray geckoeng
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R5 Aline/Gordini Inlet Flange !!!-r5-alpine-inlets-mark-up.jpg  
    Ray geckoeng

Default R5 Inlet

Hi Ray,

I will measure X on the weekend (as I am going out tonight) and send this to you.

The "Y smear" I can do, but just to make sure I get it right, do you mean that I should place a piece of paper on the flange face that bolts to the manifold, and trace over it giving the outline woth the position of the holes?

I understand that the previous over had these made up for him (casting etc). They do still need some minor mods but seem to do the job.

I believe Colin Stark (Alpine Affaire) who built the engine up, may know soething about the origin of the cast manifolds.

I bought the car as an unfinished project in Feb this year. It has a CAMs log book (for Cat 3 Rallying), roll cage and a few other bits. As you know I am thinking about putting a 4 headline front on, but am not sure if the orginal (or reproduction lights) can be found anymore, so I may stick to the safe option and heep the std twin lights?

Do you want me to post it to you or scan and email/PM?

Angelo

Default Measurement and Smear !!

Hi Angelo,
    Thanks for doing that, I can now do some designing around it.

Ray geckoeng
    Ray geckoeng

1000+ Posts

Default manifold

I have a strange non OE aftermarket manifold from an R5...new condition. PM me if interested.
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Default R5 Inlet

I note when I put the inlet manifold against the inlet ports of the head, that the ports do not match up exactly (the inlet ports on head are smaller y about0-5mm all round than the manifold). How important is it that they match up exactly.
    I know when I was running HP V8's, matching ports was essential, which involved extensive work on the heads. Some say it is not essential, uless trying to extract every last hp out of the engine?
    Any thoughts?
    Angelo

Default Port Size !!

H Angelo,
    My R5 G/A in the UK had the ports taken out to 40mm diam, running with a 45mm twin throttle body, and it was very responsive, with a mild cam. But the fuel injection gave it very clean mixture so it ran very strong. Your only hope is that the inlet manifolds are fairly central to the head ports. My manifolds were made to the ported head, which was exactly central front to back and raised 2.5 mm from the horizontal. I was told by the racing guys, I still had about 3mm wall to te water jacket (minimum). The ports must taper down to the valve pocket (get smaller).

I do believe the manifold ports should match the head ports.
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

Default R5 inlet

Ray, I contacted Salv Sacco in the uk, he has the proper manifolds for twin webers for sale. I think they were about 170 pounds. I have his contact details somewhere if you wish. Brian T

Default Manifolds !!

Hi Brian,
    I am looking for similar to what R8Dream/Angelo has but a little longer. But if I have to I will fabricate, because then I get my sizes exactly where I want them, and can put the throttle body flanges on that I want.

What Angelo has sent me, is already in the design, and it looks very good. And I can make it strong, with a single flange the whole length of the throttle bodies.
    Ray geckoeng

Thread Information